Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with good quality chicken stock

• 02-09-2008 10:42pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I usually roast a chicken once a week and my freezer is getting chock-full of chicken stock. I usually eat low-carb so things like risotto are a rarity in my kitchen (unfortunately :( )

Does anyone have any good low-carb recipes using chicken stock? Chicken soup maybe??

thanks!

Taco

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Here's how I make chicken soup.

I use chicken leftover from the carcass which I pull off and shred, or if I haven't got any, I'll steam a couple of chicken breasts and shred them finely.

Then sauté some finely chopped carrots, onions, garlic, celery and new baby potatoes (you may wish to leave these out if low-carbing) in olive oil until softened. Then add to the pan your stock, a tablespoon of tomato purée, a small can of sweetcorn (drained) and the shredded chicken. Stir well, bring to the boil and then reduce, simmering for while, until everything is tender. Season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Very simple and very delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

My recipe is similar enough. Saute an onion, 2 sticks celery, 1 leek and a couple of carrot (all diced). When the onion is soft, add 90g red lentils. Mix around then add 1 litre of your chicken stock. Simmer for 30/40 minutes or until the veg are soft. I normally liquidize it with a hand blender to make it smooth. Season well and enjoy. The lentils make it hearty and also thicken it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Similar enough to the other two. Sometimes I make a stew out of it, if there is enough chicken left on the carcass. I throw in a coupla spuds and some lentils. Proper winter stuff! (You'd need it today)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Sounds great! Thanks a lot for the replies guys, I shall be making some of these this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

For a completely carb free soup, try Tom Yam soup - usually served as part of a Thai meal.

1.25 litres chicken stock
    6 kaffir lime leaves
    2 tablespoons of roast chilli paste
    3 pieces of fresh galangal
    2 stalks lemon grass, crushed
    1 -2 chillies
    1 400g tin of straw mushrooms, drained and mushrooms cut in half
    2 tablespoons fish sauce
    200g peeled fresh tiger prawns
    juice of 1 lime
    1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves

Put the first 5 ingredients into a pot and bring to boiling point, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add prawns, chillies and mushrooms and simmer for 4 minutes, add lime juice, fish sauce and coriander and taste, add more lime juice or fish sauce as necessary. The first taste will catch the back of your throat and result in much coughing (well it always seems to with me).

Serve Tom Yam soup, a thai beef salad and maybe some fishcakes for a low carb thai meal - although Thai without rice is sacrilegious.;)

A low carb soup, delicious soup is cream of watercress -

1.25 litres chicken stock
    2 leeks
    2 medium potatoes
    2 bags of watercress
    6 fl oz double cream

Trim and chop the leeks and sweat in some butter - add potatoes and chicken stock and cook until the spuds are cooked. Add the watercress and cook for a couple of minutes, blitz in a blender and add the cream - taste and adjust for seasoning.

This easily serves 4 people - so about 1/2 a spud per serving or you could substitute the spud with a couple of tablespoons of cornflour mixed with a little cold water to thicken the soup to reduce the carb even more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yummy! Neuro-praxis, just made yours - very good.

I shall be trying the others with the next lot of chicken stock

thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Delighted you liked it. :)

Advertisement