Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infected helix piercing?

Options
  • 02-09-2008 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭

Hey. I got my helix done in Snakebite 5 days ago. It bled first time I cleaned it, and had crust on first morning and nothing after.

Today it has swollen up huge! It's red, throbbing and so sore. It's come away from my head so looks like I have one sticking out ear.

Went to my piercer this afternoon and he was really helpful and said it was normal and the weather did it and maybe try some nurofen to get rid of the swelling. Which was cool with me. But it's gotten much worse. I used an antibac soap and sea salt soak and ice pack.

I have a picture of it and one of my other normal, not mutilated and grotesque ear..

I'm getting worried. What do you think? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Wow, that is some major swelling going on there.

Swelling is normal but that just looks sore, it doesn't however look infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

So that amount of swelling isn't normal? Do you think it was because it was a hot day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Looks very angry. Do your best not to sleep on it tonight.
    Follow the aftercare procedure, anti-bacterial soap may have been a bit too harsh on ya, possibly the ice pack didn't help either cos they're quite cumbersome objects.

Stick with the sea salt soaks, a hot compress or two. Still early days yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    So that amount of swelling isn't normal? Do you think it was because it was a hot day?

Everyone heals differently,

I tend to get little if no swelling, rinse with salty water and see how it is tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Looks like you might have cellulitis there. Is there an almost burning sensation from it?

If I was in your position I would take the piercing out, wait till it heals up and then try again. If you want to keep it in consult your piercer or doctor.

(This is just from my own experience in the past, the one time an ear piercing of mine got infected my ear looked exactly like that. Don't take my advice over someone who knows what they are talking about. (ie a doctor))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses. It's still swollen and sore, but not as bad and not as red. It's fairly crusting though and is sore to twist when cleaning. I'll keep up with the sea salt soaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Try not force it to twist, it will loosen in it's own time, you will just aggravate it more by forcing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

My helix just never healed, after about 6-8 months i just said forget it, and got it taken out.
    (to painfull to do it myself)
    mind you it was done using a gun in a TERRIBLE place.
    Probably somewhat worse than the arcade...

Advertisement