Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Major operation by PSNI and AGS

• 02-09-2008 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

Tuesday, 2 September 2008 22:32

Gardaí and the PSNI investigating a major international drug trafficking network have arrested two men, seized 27 firearms and 20kg of heroin worth over €4m.

The drugs and guns were seized before they were to be handed over to a criminal gang.

Detectives say the organised crime network was being run from Portlaoise prison by Brian Meehan who is currently serving life for the murder of Veronica Guerin.

Two men have been arrested in Belfast and in north Co Dublin and ten searches have been carried out on the east coast as part of Operation Bench.

The operation also involved the Dutch police and Irish and UK customs along with the Criminal Assets Bureau and the Emergency Response Unit.

Operation Bench has been investigating the activities of a gang trafficking substantial quantities of drugs and firearms for the last four months.

Gardaí and the PSNI believe the arrests have severely damaged a powerful European drugs and gun smuggling network.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0902/drugs.html

Well done to all involved.From what Paul Reynolds said on the 9 o'clock news,a major blow has been dealt to organised crime gangs as these firearms were intended to be sold to gangs all over the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

And the seizure of 20kg of smack, blimmin heck thats one hell of a find. Fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

i think they are saying 40 guns now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

i think they are saying 40 guns now

They wouldn't be the 40 we're missing by any chance would they? If so drop us a pm and we'll split the 10k reward :pac:

Two more arrests on trafficking ring
    Wednesday, 3 September 2008 14:50

Two more people have been arrested after a major international drug trafficking network was broken up by gardaí and the PSNI.

27 firearms and €4m worth of heroin and cannabis were seized during the operation in north Dublin and Belfast yesterday.

A 42-year-old man was arrested in Santry and a 34-year-old man was arrested in Belfast.

AdvertisementGardaí say two more Irishmen, who are aged in their 30s, were arrested in Birr and Roscrea early this morning and are being questioned in Blanchardstown in Dublin.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0903/drugs.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Hopefully more seizures and arrests to come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/guerin-link-thug-foiled-in-drug-and-guns-swoop-1468208.html

jeeze berretas, glocks and machine pistols sounds like some serious firepower has been kept out of criminal hands. good job

Someone told me the seizure occured in the car park of the coachman's in pub opposite dublin airport? Is this correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Someone told me the seizure occured in the car park of the coachman's in pub opposite dublin airport? Is this correct?

Didnt hear that but its a popular spot for meetings etc between north and south parties (legit i mean)

Straight down the M1, kinda handy

I'll ask mammy tommorow, she worked there and he best mate still works there, so watch this space

Advertisement