Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade Ins

Options
  • 03-09-2008 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Is there a percentage that garages work off to give you a trade in price or do they just pluck it from the sky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Is there a percentage that garages work off to give you a trade in price or do they just pluck it from the sky?
    Assuming your car is too old to retail, it's the trade value of your car plus the cash discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Nah, its an 07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

They wonder what they can sell it for and then knock "a few quid off" to allow for reconditioning, general overheads and profit.

define "a few quid"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

define "a few quid"

How long is a piece of string? :D

The way the market is at the moment and the change in VRT/motor tax rates, a 07 car is going to take a fair hammering on it's trade in value. I can see alot of garages giving you what appears to be an insulting trade-in value hoping you run away as they are already full of similar stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

define "a few quid"

Define your trade-in and im sure a few here will have a go at giving you an idea

define "a few quid"

Sorry, I was being a bit facetious with that comment.

Bazz is right with his "piece of string" comment, but if you want to see the whole debate about strings and their relative lengths, go to this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055354978

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Can i Ask though, for dealers to keep their dealerships, won't they need to sell new cars and hence take trade ins as opposed to making us run for the hills??

I don't understand...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭omega man

Poor trade-in offers = less new car sales perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

TheDriver wrote: »
    Can i Ask though, for dealers to keep their dealerships, won't they need to sell new cars and hence take trade ins as opposed to making us run for the hills??

I'm only assuming, but if they give to good of a value on your car then they are going to lose money. Car dealers aren't a charity case. Tell us what car you have and the value you got that you are dissappointed with, and we'll tell you what we think.

An 07 mx5 with low mileage, in perfect nic......was offered 16k for it, i couldnt keep a straight face :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what new car were you buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

An 07 mx5 with low mileage, in perfect nic......was offered 16k for it, i couldnt keep a straight face :eek:

They didn't want your car and gave you a low trade-in price for it so that you would walk away.

Wrong season to be looking to sell a soft top now. A garage could be stuck with that car until next spring at earliest by which time it has lost alot more money.

The market for 07/08s is dead at the moment.
    You've missed the season for convertibles.
    The last two summers have been non-existent, convertible sales are down in general.
    Your car may not sell before the turn of the year so needs to be priced as a 2 year old car rather than 1 year old.

Long story short, I reckon Bazz is right and the dealer just didn't want your car.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They didn't want your car and gave you a low trade-in price for it so that you would walk away.

Wrong season to be looking to sell a soft top now. A garage could be stuck with that car until next spring at earliest by which time it has lost alot more money.

Was looking at a new passat estate, i agree it is nearing the end of the soft top season, but even still
    Most garages dont want trade ins, some cant take them because they are in financial dificulty with too many unsold cars sitting on the forecourt.
    It just shows the inteligence(or lack of) of the average Dealer, they are unable to contend when the market gets a little bit tougher.
    If i were the dealer i would be doing anything to get rid of stock asap, reduce prices right down, ship to the UK ect ect ( or just phone back potential customers)
    They are loosing their B*ll*x leaving stok sitting unsold:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It just shows the inteligence(or lack of) of the average Dealer, they are unable to contend when the market gets a little bit tougher.
    If i were the dealer i would be doing anything to get rid of stock asap, reduce prices right down, ship to the UK ect ect ( or just phone back potential customers)
    They are loosing their B*ll*x leaving stok sitting unsold:confused:

The UK car market is very quiet at the moment too, also the exchange rate means our cars are dearer than usual to them.
    It's very hard to motivate a salesman to chase a deal where he loses money. every car that loses money reduces the commission he'll make on the cars that actually make money.

I think it's funny that you realise the market is slow and that your car isn't exactly hot stuff at the moment, but still want a dealer to take a chance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Is the mileage this low
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/1026844/

and that's been sitting there since May!

They'd be lucky to sell it before next May at which point it'll be worth closer to €15k than €20k

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The UK car market is very quiet at the moment too, also the exchange rate means our cars are dearer than usual to them.
    It's very hard to motivate a salesman to chase a deal where he loses money. every car that loses money reduces the commission he'll make on the cars that actually make money.

I think it's funny that you realise the market is slow and that your car isn't exactly hot stuff at the moment, but still want a dealer to take a chance on it.

Business is all about taking a risk Colm, dealers have had it easy to long now and dont know how to "work it" and i wouldnt call taking a 07 mazda mx5 as a trade in as "risky"

MrBoots, is the new Passat you're looking for a car that they have in stock or are you ordering one fresh?

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    Is the mileage this low
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/1026844/

and that's been sitting there since May!

They'd be lucky to sell it before next May at which point it'll be worth closer to €15k than €20k

point taken, Same could be said for any car on Carzone, all it takes is one interested party....

AudiChris wrote: »
    MrBoots, is the new Passat you're looking for a car that they have in stock or are you ordering one fresh?

Ex Stock as far as im aware, ie its in the dealer network, just a estate highline tdi

Ex Stock as far as im aware, ie its in the dealer network, just a estate highline tdi

If it's not in that particular dealer's stock then taking your car in will increase their stock by one more car. You might get better numbers against a car they have in their personal stock.

AudiChris wrote: »
    If it's not in that particular dealer's stock then taking your car in will increase their stock by one more car. You might get better numbers against a car they have in their personal stock.

Ah ok, didnt think of it that way hmmmm

Advertisement