Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Types of Handcuff

• 03-09-2008 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Anyone care to discuss the benefit of chain, hinge, rigid cuffs? Why to AGS not have rigid cuffs like most forces in the UK?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

They are more expensive than chain.

They do provide extra control over a prisoner but in doing so cause damage to the wrists - bruising, more marks than normal etc... I have heard that some UK police services are withdrawing the rigids for this reason - too easy to abuse prisoners with them.

Having said that i'm all for folding rigids, ASP do a nice set which are bowed and semi plastic making them a wee bit more ethical, the college tell every phase they are getting folding rigids soon.

The other disadvantage of the rigids is they can't fold (unless they are folding rigids:) )
    Meaning they have to sit out visibly on the officers belt for storage. AGS brass don't like this aggressive look, they want the cuffs hidden.

chain - http://www.hiatts.com/products/chainstyle.aspx
    hinge - http://www.hiatts.com/products/hingestyle.aspx
    rigid - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiatts_Speedcuffs
    folding rigid - http://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/aspriha.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

Aggressive look??? I know the Met had the same issue with the arnold batons... but we're going back towards them now... Do the managment think that the pucblic don't know the guards carry cuffs?...

I'd rather have a pair of cuffs I can draw and apply quickly and which offer a better degree of restraint and control then something the headsheds have decided on because I can hide them easier...

With regards to the folding rigids, I know two people who have used them and had the suspect break the bar which locks them out....

As with most of our kit, it's horses for courses... I carry three different types as a matter of course... Rigid, back up chainlinks and a pair of plasticuffs in my kit bag... Can't stress the benfits of a backup pair enough... three of them, two of you... not exactly Pimms O'Clock...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Hinged cuffs have been bought & training will begin on them soon. Only one force in the UK still uses chain link cuffs, no one's going back to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

hinged cuffs have been issued to the current phase 3's and training will be completed on them by friday of this week.62520.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

They asp handcuffs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

yup that they are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Good luck with that.

talking to my dads mate whos a police officer in the uk, his force have just binned them as they're crap, fall apart way to easily and parts are expensive.

Stick with the smith and wesson 100's, seem far better from all ive heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

cushtac wrote: »
    Hinged cuffs have been bought & training will begin on them soon. Only one force in the UK still uses chain link cuffs, no one's going back to them.

UK Cops are getting rid of the rigids though and switching to hinged and folding types.

Police Switch From Rigid Cuffs (Police Oracle Mag)
    15-Aug-08

The demise of the Hiatt factory in the UK has quickened the shift from rigid cuffs to hinged cuffs by UK police forces....

The demise of the Hiatt factory in the UK has quickened the shift from rigid cuffs to hinged cuffs by UK police forces.

The Times newspaper reported in July that the shock closing of the Hiatt factory in Birmingham had caused concern among the police due to there being no source of supply for their commonly used rigid cuffs. This has been the prompt for many UK forces to trial, and begin issuing, hinged cuffs.

Within only a few weeks, three UK forces have started issuing ASP hinged cuffs and they are on trial with a further thirteen forces. Colin Stanford of Pinnacle Response, the UK importer for ASP said, “There was already a lot of interest in Asp hinged cuffs but the Hiatt situation has resulted in procurement departments requiring an immediate ASP supply. We’ve increased UK shipments considerably to meet demand.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

We were told that although the current phase 3's did get semi rigid cuffs us next year will be getting the solid cuffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

gerire wrote: »
    We were told that although the current phase 3's did get semi rigid cuffs us next year will be getting the solid cuffs

They've about 9000 sets of hinged ones to issue first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

They'll have these cuffs replaced with newer ones before they issue these ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

Hinged makes sense. the restraint and control benefits of a rigid, with the 'wearablility' of chainlinks...

Having said that, nothing makes you look more Serpico or Vic Mackey than a pair of chainlinks hanging off the back of your belt... you all know who you are:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

foinse wrote: »
    hinged cuffs have been issued to the current phase 3's and training will be completed on them by friday of this week.62520.JPG

Jesus their minds change like the wind:rolleyes:, when we were in the college we were told more or less the rigids! not particularly bothered about which we get to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Giving this thread a wee bump outta curiosity what type of handcuffs are the students receiving training on in 2017 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Giving this thread a wee bump outta curiosity what type of handcuffs are the students receiving training on in 2017 ?

The ones in the post above you.

Advertisement