Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 3 *MUST PLAY* before you die games !

Options
  • 03-09-2008 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hello lads, and ladies :)
    I do find myself buying PC magazines all the time, and wandering into GAME etc looking for something new to buy or to take me from the same games i play all the time :D

So i was wondering, if you could reccommend to a friend...3 games they should play before they die...what would they be ??

Id have to say ....for me...

- Team Fortress 2 (Greatest and most fun online shooter :):rolleyes:)
    - GTA Vice City (The best of the series and greatest soundtrack :D)
    - Warcraft 3 (My favourite RTS which isnt too hard to get into :D )

I kept the format to PC, but also tried to vary it on genre :D
    Id love to know some of yours so i can go and buy some of them...maybe some old school ones

Was thinking of getting Fallout just because of comments in the other thread :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Final Fantasy 7
    Metal Gear Solid (I can't choose)
    Red Alert one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Final Fantasy VII
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Metal Gear Solid

Not very original, but there's a reason they're so famous

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Morrowind - it's a living, breathing world of it's own.
    Final Fantasy VII - cliched, but all the best cliches are based on something, in this case, pure quality.
    Ocarina of Time - I don't think another game that had such an impact on the people who played it will ever come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ocarina of Time - I don't think another game that had such an impact on the people who played it will ever come along.

I think every generation has their 'impact game'. I had that kind of experience with Zelda: A Link to the Past during the 16 bit era. By the time Ocarina of Time came around I was old and cynical. In actual fact, I didn't think too much of it at all.

I can never come up with definitive lists like this. So I have three lists of three. Yeah I know, I'm a cheater.

The obvious list -

Final Fantasy VII
    Mario 3
    Zelda: A link to the Past

Little less obvious-

Half Life DM/AG
    Fallout 2
    Chrono Trigger

And then another list as I don't have enough platformers -

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Megaman 2
    Metal Slug 3

And now I will stop before I spend the rest of the night making lists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Very nice idea for a thread but can't say I could agree with the choices people make. I probably would only agree with Megaman 2 and Mario 3 (Super Metroid kicks SOTNs ass despite it being a fantastic game). For me I would have to pick games that really excel and show the potential of the videogame mediumby offering something that just couldn't be achieved with literature or cinema and not just my favourite games.

-Panzer Dragoon Saga: RPG perfection. Not only is it a stunning game to play but it really excels artistically. The world it creates and builds upon is unique and without cliche. The soundtrack is the greatest ever composed for a videogame and is again unique with it's tribal futuristic sound created by the composers creating completely new wind and precussion instruments electronically. I think speilberg said that videogames would be only taken seriously when they make some one cry when they get past level 17. I didn't cry but I came pretty damn close in this game. It has a very emotional and thought provoking storyline and a very intelligent ending that could only be carried off in the videogame medium.

-Super Metroid: This for me is the perfect videogame. It's just an absolutely wonderful game to play. However I think what solidifies my decision is the storytelling. Many games have to resort to cinematic cutscenes to tell their stories. Once you set foot on zebes Super Metroid creates it's lonely isolated atmosphere and tells a pretty good yarn using nothing more than it's gameplay and excellent soundtrack. Like PDS it's a story that just wouldn't work outside the videogame medium but this deserves credit for telling it completely in game with the player always in control (the same can be said about Half-Life but even that doesn't reach the heights of this wonderful game).

-Bubble Bobble: My last game would have to be something that represents videogames in their rawest form and simply be built upon awesome gameplay. This one just pipped Robotron and Puyo Puyo because I love it just that little bit more. There's nobody that has played this game that hasn't loved it. Brilliant videogaming at it's purest.

We'll probably see FFVII mentioned a lot but come on you can do better than that. In terms of gameplay it's far from the best RPG around and story wise it's very cliched with it's deepest issue being our treatment of the world and even that is rather hackneyed. At least pick FFX which deals with some very serious themes in a mature manner such as racism, religion and freedom of speech.

Found it very hard to leave out many games. Silent Hill 2 has a narrative on par with anything from literature but is just a bit too clunky in gameplay terms. ICO and Shadow of the Colossus could easily have replaced PDS and are simply wonderful games that tell unique stories with very little cutscenes. Plenty of other games could replace Bubble Bobble as well such as R-type, Gunstar Heroes, Rocket Knight adventures or a rake of puzzle games like tetris and puzzle bobble. Still I'm surprisingly happy with my list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

FF7, GTA, MGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Holsten wrote: »
    FF7, GTA, MGS.

After reading Retrogamer's post this made me LOL.

Tetris, I always forget Tetris. That and Puzzle Bobble are two games I will continue to play until I'm either dead or have arthritis. Or have died from arthritis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Quake 3 - the game that shows you how good you really are

Civilisation 2 - the game that took ages 11 - 14 from me

Half-Life 2 - the game that is the benchmark for this generation

honourable mentions:
    Super Metroid
    Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries
    FF7
    Crono Trigger
    Secret of Mana
    Zelda LTTP
    Megaman 2
    Freespace 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

kinda out there but

Monkey Island(any)
    Deus Ex 1
    GTA (of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'm gonna say FFVII for one. I played it when I was 10/11 and hated it at first. I was used to the likes of Tekken/shoot some lad in the face-em-ups and had no idea games could tell a story or have any effect on me emotionally. I stuck with it and slowly got grasped into it. After a few days I was addicted. I had to know what happened next. At the time, the story seemed like the best thing ever and even today its not bad compared to the majority of most RPGs. I think what makes it great is the characters, who really gives a **** what Sephiroth's motive is when he acts/looks that badass? As much as I love FFX, I don't think the characters even come closes to FFVII's. Ask anyone whos played it, especially at a young age and they will say its one of the greatest games they've ever played. I know when I first saw it I thought it had some of the greatest graphics I'd ever seen, especially the cut scenes, even today its still impressive. I can still remember the opening cut scene frame for frame, epic.

FFVII is definitely the game thats had the most impact with me but I think Chrono trigger is up there as well. Great story, great gameplay, great characters. What more could you ask for? Such a deep and well made game. Love it.

Counter-Strike 1.6 is my 3rd choice. Probably the most addictive game I've ever played. Still hard to understand why. You run around and shoot people in the head. Thats about it. Yet I played it for 5-6 years....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Doom, Super Mario Kart and Transport Tycoon Deluxe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Zarbon

Metal Gear Solid *insert number*
    Call of Duty 4
    Resident Evil 4

Have a headache and can't be bothered thinking of anything that may be "better".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'm actually going to go with older games ... nothing these days really makes me go .. oh my god I've got to have that

Ultima Underworld ... WOW ...

The Magic Candle II (circa 93 ? .. I lost months in that thing .. by todays standards its nothing special ... probably not even good)

Spirit of excalibur from around 1990 ... WOW at the time ...

ok ok .. not games you've got to play before you die but defining moment games for me

These days from the current pick ...

COD4 ...
    GTA Vice City ...
    Oblivion

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Limiting it to PC, eh?

Well it would have to be, Call Of Duty 4, Bioshock and Mass Effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Doom - Either the Original or the new version. The original one scared the living bejaysas out of me when i first got a sound card (remember when you HAD to buy an extra card for your PC!, i think it was an ISA one too !). Played it with the lights off and my headphones plugged in, my father nearly caused my early demise when he came into the room quietly and put his hand on my shoulder.

Monkey Island 1 or 2, loved the music, wasn;t a big fan of the later ones

Half Life - What a game, took me ages to get around to playing it, but loved every second of it.

can't believe i had to leave out FarCry, Red Alert and AoE :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

NiGHTS into dreams: Go on, i dare you to find another game (aside from it's so-so sequel) that's anything like this. Tight controls, and a word who's inhabitants and it's music change in response to your actions. Add to that a stunning musical score, ingenious level design and some of the best boss fights ever and you've got an amazing game.

Fallout: One of the best RPG's ever made. Edges out it's sequel due to having a slightly better reason behind sending you into the wastes. None of this random-battle-bull-run-overwrought-moralising nonsense of JRPGs, get out into the wastes and tackle things how you want. Be good or be evil, make a character that is death incarnate, or maybe a gentleman thief. How about a character like Dr. Who, all mouth and science but not much good in a fight? It's all possible. And nothing beats the good old super-sledge to the nuts.

Half-life: Miles ahead of it's by the numbers sequel. One of the first games to really abandon the whole enclosed level to level progression of previous FPS games. It's plot is mostly irrelevant, ginger scientist creates interdimensional cock-up. From there it's an amazing journey through the ruins of black mesa in an attempt to get out alive. Well realised locations that made you feel it was a giant complex you were escaping, puzzles that extend beyond simple 'get keycard x' and a million set pieces that really help set it apart. Yes, the Xen levels were a bit of a misstep but eveything before that was so damn good you can forgive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I forgot ... Wolfenstein ... the original

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm with Retrogamer on two points: Bubble Bobble has to be mentioned for being one of the most fun arcade games ever (and destroyer of many a joystick) and FFVII is crap :P

I'd also add System Shock 2. Even now it still scares the shìt out of me when I hear them scream "You're not one of us!!!!". It's incredibly atmospheric, has a fantastic plot and one of the best plot twist I'd ever seen in a game at that point(
    ie finding out your doctor friend isn't all she seems
    ).

I'm not sure what to put as my last choice. I want to put either Ultima 7, Baldur's Gate or Knights Of The Old Republic down. All have great main stories with a real epic feel to them. All of them have great characters, great settings and I loved every moment I spent playing them.

I think maybe Baldur's Gate wins out though as the interaction between your character and other characters in your group as you travel about really made it stand out. KOTOR had the same idea, but I don't think it was implemented as well. As sad as it sounds, I really felt for the characters. I didn't even realise how much until the start of BG2 (
    where Jaheira's husband Khalid is found tortured to death
    ) and I was genuinly sad. Maybe I just need to get out more...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Pc Only:
    Half Life 1
    Neverwinter Nights
    KOTOR II

All formats:
    Super Mario Kart
    Zelda LttP
    Gears of War (yes, I actually adore this game).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I have been playing games for the past 25 to 26 years. One of the first games i played was Tron i so remember that game but that would not stick out to be one of the best or near best just one of the first that i played.

Old Games that come to mind that i so loved and spent weeks & months playing.

Spectrum
    Lords of Midnight & Doomdark's Revenage
    Dungeon Keeper

Amegia
    Battle Isle 3
    Vulcan

Snes
    Street Fighter 2
    Mario Cart

PC "More up to date"
    Doom
    Half Life
    WoW
    CS

Games i listed above would be the games that i had the most fun while playing them. They might not be the best but for me were games that i could not put down.

I so could list more games but we should try and keep some way on topic.
    Also lots of good games mentioned above that remind me of the old days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

top 3

ff vii - character development was great, nearly cried like a little girly when aeris died (and I'm not ashamed to say it hahaha)

half life 1 - still rules.. and it spawned the most fun multiplayer game of cs

Ultima 9 - it was seriously flawed but it was so huge, I loved it :)

honorable mentions

ocarina of time
    chrono trigger
    bubble bobble
    GTA (the first one and all the sequels)
    tetris
    megaman
    doom
    soul calibur (any of them)
    system shock 2 (actually got stuck and never finished it - searched miles of floors couldnt find where to go. bummer :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

Top 3 games of all time??

Combat Mission - Best Tactical strategy game ever

BF1942 - Best fun on an online shooter

Syndicate - So addictive I know at least one person who had to throw the game away for the sake of his relationship!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Don't bash FF7 please. Its still the best FF ever made. Not 6 Retro. Let's not get too snobby here but FF7 deals with alot more than destroying the planet (which BTW is even more relevant nowadays), it deals with shattered ambitions, sacrifice an revenge.

I wish I had played Zelda:OoT. I assume thats the N64 one? I feel like I would have liked that.

I will give ICO an honourable mention-a chore to play but still a really beautiful game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

noodler wrote: »
    Don't bash FF7 please.

Ohh but it's so easy. And fun too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

rather pointless starting a thread to ask peoples opinions then bashing them for em :(

either way .......

FF7 -- first rpg i played none other has compared to its since

Red alert 1 or 2 -- awesome games

GTA vice city -- not as shiney as GTA4 but a damn sight better game

honorable mention

CS:Source ( technically a mod but worth playing )
    COD4 ( enjoyed single player loads for an fps )
    super mario brothers 1/2/3 ( awesome classics )

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Metroid Prime
    Super Mario World

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Shadow of the Colossus: For how to do epic
    Diablo 2: For how to make a game made entirely of level grinding, but people love you for it.
    Portal: For how to do clever puzzles and humour.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

In order of age:
    Civilization
    GTA 3 (the newer ones are better, but this was when it was a new format)
    Company of Heroes

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Monkey Island 1 or 2
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

noodler wrote: »
    Don't bash FF7 please. Its still the best FF ever made. Not 6 Retro. Let's not get too snobby here but FF7 deals with alot more than destroying the planet (which BTW is even more relevant nowadays), it deals with shattered ambitions, sacrifice an revenge.

I wish I had played Zelda:OoT. I assume thats the N64 one? I feel like I would have liked that.

I will give ICO an honourable mention-a chore to play but still a really beautiful game.

I'm not sure, but you may be able to get Ocarina of Time on an emulator for PC. Have a google and you might find something. I don't think there is anyone alive who didn't like it. Anyone who says is either a liar or has no soul!!!

And FF7 still sucks! :pac:

Advertisement