Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 3 *MUST PLAY* before you die games !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Seriously Im like Hooch from Scrubs. If one more person slags FF7....Ill mow them down.

More popular than Ocarnia of Time!

Id luv an N64 to play it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

noodler wrote: »
    More popular than Ocarnia of Time!

that just shows lots of people have horrible taste :P

You sure its not a case of a great game becoming so popular that it becomes fashionable to bash it?

OoT looks good but the can't imagine the story being very mature for some reason. Im completely wrong Im sure.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I think you'll find most nintendo games don't have a 'Mature' plot line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Super Metroid deserves a place slap bang at the top of my list. Most definitely the pinnacle of 2D gaming imho.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! hasn't been mentioned yet, but I'm not really surprised. The kind of game that could only truly appeal to a fairly select demographic. It has totally off the wall humour, a perfect control scheme and incredibly addictive gameplay... I guess the (awesome) J-Pop soundtrack is what would put a lot of people off.

Resident Evil 4 is why I still play games...
    The control scheme is fairly ****, Ashley is one of the worst characters ever created (and Leon is a bit of a tool too!), but despite these flaws it's still up there with Super Metroid for the number of times that I've completed a game. An absolute rollercoaster ride of a game, and an inspired change of pace from the original resident evil series. (It was quite a bold move changing an already winning formula to something totally new)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You sure its not a case of a great game becoming so popular that it becomes fashionable to bash it?

Nah, it's just because it really is rubbish. :D
    OoT looks good but the can't imagine the story being very mature for some reason. Im completely wrong Im sure.

The plot is very Nintendo like, ie travel about solving puzzles, killing monsters (but no blood of course), defeat mini-bosses, defeat main boss and save the princess. It doesn't even pretend to be original, plot wise, but it's the gameplay that makes it stand out. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and incredibly well thought out. The puzzles are incredibly obvious, but some still had me banging my head against the wall before I could figure them out.

Resi 4 is an excellent shooter but I don't think it has the same eerie nature of the previous. Its less about atmosphere and more about shooting for me.

amazingly, some people just don't like that game that you thought was ohh so awesome and mature when you were twelve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't bash FF7 please. Its still the best FF ever made. Not 6 Retro. Let's not get too snobby here but FF7 deals with alot more than destroying the planet (which BTW is even more relevant nowadays), it deals with shattered ambitions, sacrifice an revenge.

It does deal with those themes but in a hackneyed and immature way with an antagonist who is shallow and probably designed by a focus group. Lots of other games deal with those themes but in a far better and less hackneyed way. It's probably harder to find a game that doesn't deal with revenge, shattered ambitions and sacrifice.

My problem wih FFVII, which I think isn't a bad game, is that there are so many RPGs out there that do it all and do everything so much better. Thats why if i was to choose 3 games that everyone should play i'd choose the best RPG. Frankly choosing FFVII with all it's flaws, it's simplicity, it's lack of maturity and how dated it has become over true masterpieces like FFX, FFVI, FF Tactics, Suikoden 2, Grandia, FFIX, Valkyrie Profile, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Panzer Dragoon Saga etc., well it's a sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Greatest games of all time ? For games that wow'ed me being the best at that time and ones that I played constantly:

1. Impossible Mission (Commodore64). Simple idea brilliantly executed with the atmosphere to boot.
    2. Half Life 1 (PC). Atmosphere... nuff said
    3. Quake 2 (PC). Jaw droppingly difference from software driven graphics to plugging in a 3DFX card and introduction to online gaming where 3 years of my life inexplicably disappeared.

I'm not going to have any honourable mentions as the list would be just too long.

TC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Hmmm, good thread - a worthy distraction from that thing called work!

My three for thee would be

Super Mario 64 - just about pipped Super Mario 3 for me. I'll never forget the feeling I had seeing marios 3d head appear on the title screen.

Super mario kart - to me, nothing has beat this for multiplayer action. At least when I had friends anyway :D

Resident Evil 1 - the first game to make me scream. The dogs jumping though the window, the cutscene where you meet the first hunter, barrys quotes, all chilling stuff!

Honourable mentions:
    Gunstar heroes
    Sonic 2
    Super mario 3
    bomberman
    Final fantasy X (because i never played 7)
    Shadow of the collosus (because ICO is gathering dust, unplayed :o)
    Operation Flashpoint
    Freespace 2

I have played less than half of those to be fair Retro. X is great-established.
    ANY criticism levied at 7 can, in my opinion, be applied to 6 to an even greater extent.

7's story did the mid-splot twist better than the majority of games and had simply better characters.

Lordofcheese, 12 is about right if I am brutally honest but I played it as far as disc two recently and I feel it has lost very little with time. I agree it's battle system is simplistic but simplicity works well in so many other games (FF9 or DQ).

Anyway, I think Ive shown my RPG bias. I think its the cheapskate in me liking value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Okay I'm going to go with:

Monkey Island 1 - I remember playing this on the Amiga and thinking it hilarious. Played it years later on the PC and found it lost none of it's charm.

Knights of the Old Republic - best game on the XBox. Found the story thoroughly gripping. I don't think Bioware will ever top this one.

Oblivion - the only game of this generation that truely deserved the praise it got. Couldn't put it down for months.

Just to take a different slant on the thread, the 3 games I must play before I die:

Pazner Dragoon Saga - this has almost gained mythical status in my eyes. Should really bite the bullet and buy this and a Saturn.

Nights - another game I missed out on by not having a Saturn.

Okami - it's on the way in the post:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

tman wrote: »
    Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! hasn't been mentioned yet, but I'm not really surprised. The kind of game that could only truly appeal to a fairly select demographic. It has totally off the wall humour, a perfect control scheme and incredibly addictive gameplay... I guess the (awesome) J-Pop soundtrack is what would put a lot of people off.

Amen to that. My favourite handheld game of them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

For me it would be the following

Championship/Football manager. Although it's more or less a glorified excell spreadsheet, it's the most engrossing game I've ever played and it's potential scenarios are effectively endless.

Deus EX. Covers both the first person shooter and RPG categories, has the option of either playing stealthily (still really proud that I finished it without killing any people I wasn't forced too) or destroying anything. The best storyline that i have ever seen and with so much replay value due to the fact that you can change the storyline yourself. The time when I killed that female robot woman before I was prompted too on my third replay of the game still ranks as my favourite gaming moment ever. I just felt I had so much freedom within the game.

RE:Make. Still working my way up to number 4 so it could well take it's place but I'd certainly be getting their quicker if I didn't keep going back to this one. So genuinely scary at points and so engrossing. Just running from everything for fear of the worst is, although not necessarily an enjoyable experience while playing, but certainly one of the best experiences a game has ever made me feel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ret0, saw this old post of yours which I thought was pretty funny
    FFVII for me but FFtactics (not GBA tactics) FFX and FFVI not too far behind.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3495902&postcount=3

you've changed man :pac:

Anyways, my 3 to play would be

FFX
    SotC
    MGS

All 3 are epic, timeless games with great soundtracks and gameplay to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I believe everyone should die before they play Football Manager games.

My 3 would be:

C&C (I class every C&C game as one btw)
    Just one of those classic games that everyone should play in their life great cut scenes, great gameplay and fantastic multiplayer.
    Battlefield Vietnam
    Excellent fps/team play multiplayer, nothing like raining down missiles from your Huey while playing Ride of the Valkyries.
    Call of Duty 4
    Probably one of the best SP/MP games combined, replayed the SP so many times now, if you have an machine capable of playing this get it! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SofaK wrote: »
    Ret0, saw this old post of yours which I thought was pretty funny

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3495902&postcount=3

you've changed man :pac:

:D

Yep a good 5+ years of extra maturity and a replay of said game that blew the rose tinted glasses off me and I changed my mind. Best game ever when I was 15 not so at 25 after a lot more experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Suprised Portal only got 1 mention...as its so different and unique. Love that :)
    I shouldve also mentioned Starcraft.
    Some interesting choices there.....but the FF discussion always pops up :P ..its ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

3 games only?

Well, I guess the following,

Ico, kinda obvious really isn't it?

Super Mario World, genius.

Silent Hill 2, I have never come so close to soiling myself whilst playing a game, bugger.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Half Life, without a doubt. Probably the greatest FPS I have ever played.

Deus Ex, fantastic, fantastic game, such a shame the second one fell on its face.

Picking the last one is tricky... um... Probably...

The MGS series. I always thought the story of MGS3 was brilliant, thought I'd probably get shot by some people for saying that >.> *looks at R0ot*

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    :D

Yep a good 5+ years of extra maturity and a replay of said game that blew the rose tinted glasses off me and I changed my mind. Best game ever when I was 15 not so at 25 after a lot more experience.

I know we always argue about this but basically you are saying that you replayed FF7 in the last 3 years and decided it wasn't as good as you thought. Any RPG loses its appeal after you keep replaying it. You should remember how good things are the first or second time you play them. That said, I agree with your post on FF8. I thought it was excellent until Disc 3 started cos it was nice and simple up until then SeeD VS Seifier/Galbadia/Edea.

It just seems weird that you feel your 2008 view is the right one, whereas you are saying you were biased in 2005. I mean surely one opinion is as good as the other? I hope Im making sense.

Tactics is something I may get if I manage to find employment in the next few weeks.

Oh and poster above. MGS3 has the best story for me. Nice and condensed with less silly life meanings or vague/universal plot focus. I think you're right.

It just seems weird that you feel your 2008 view is the right one, whereas you are saying you were biased in 2005. I mean surely one opinion is as good as the other? I hope Im making sense.

I like you noodler, you're steady. We know where you stand. you believe the same thing Wednesday that you believed on Monday - no matter what happened Tuesday.

:P

Ugh fine, being less polite. Isn't it a bit up your own arse to figure that because you no longer think it is the best fantasy that you are now unbiased?

I like me too. Good people.

I know we always argue about this but basically you are saying that you replayed FF7 in the last 3 years and decided it wasn't as good as you thought. Any RPG loses its appeal after you keep replaying it. You should remember how good things are the first or second time you play them. That said, I agree with your post on FF8. I thought it was excellent until Disc 3 started cos it was nice and simple up until then SeeD VS Seifier/Galbadia/Edea.

Well in 2005 I hadn't played FFVII in about 6 years. I also had only just played FFVI. Memory of FFVII was that it was an amazing game that nothng before it could compare to. When I replayed it again I realised that it was only nostalgia making me think this way and that FFX and FFVI amongst others were far superior games. In the years between my replay of FFVII I'd gotten a job so was able to afford as many games as I wanted and discovered emulation so I could enjoy all the classics I missed out on.

I would definitely say that my opinion now is far more valid. I've played far more games past and present. Also at the time I first played it I was a young impressionable idiot. I used to defend FFVII and even claim that it's story was as good as anything literature or cinema could come up with which is totally wrong, it's as good as an average generic anime at best. That bit halfway through affected a lot of people but only because they hadn't experienced something like that before. However older more obscure games did the same thing only handled it better, for example Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star II. My last replay just showed how powerful nostalgia can be.

An example of the power of nostalgia is Goldeneye on the N64. People say that it's the greatest FPS ever and at the time it might just have been. However play it now. It's an unplayable mess of a game with a horrendous framerate. Something like Doom 2 and Half-life are the exact opposite, still as brilliant as they always were.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is the reverse true? If I go back and play Final Fantasy X, will it suddenly become good? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

GTA III, Half Life 2 & COD4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Metal Gear Solid

Street Fighter II:Turbo (SNES)

Mario Kart

And if I was to mention an old arcade classic I would try to decide between Snow Bros and Bubble Bobble, but them my head would explode due to the sheer awsomeness :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Jeez, 3 games?....

Resident Evil 2
    Half-Life
    Road Rash II

Donkey Kong Country
    Dungeon Keeper
    Civilisation II

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is the reverse true? If I go back and play Final Fantasy X, will it suddenly become good? ;)

Nothing will ever make that awful game good.

Advertisement