Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windows streaming up like crazy when heater on

Options
  • 03-09-2008 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭

Noticed recently that when the heater was on that the air smelled different.
    Then the windows started steaming up, getting worse almost by the day it seems (re-circulate off).
    Tonight the smell was making me a bit nauseous so turned the heater off and even through the car was freezing as a result the windows actually cleared up.
    Most likely candidate is the heating matrix I think?
    Its a 05 Fabia TDI, no signs of leaky carpet around either of the footwells but the sometimes the car recently has smelled a bit like smelly socks so i guess there has been leaking (not my socks!)somewhere that has perhaps dried up?

The car doesn't have air con.

Only other thing i can think of is that with the floods recently that water has gotten into the system somehow and isnt draining away as it should?

Anyone have other suggestions/things for me to check?

How expensive is a new heater matrix likely to be fitted if it turned out to be that?

Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I wouldn't have thought that the windows steaming up as soon as you turn on the ventilation blower was unusual at this time of year, when it's getting cooler outside and still humid. However, the smell is another matter, and sure the coolant circulating the engine and heater matrix does have a distictive smell all of it's own. You could try Radweld in the coolant system and see if that stops it. Even so, I would have thought that if there was a leak sufficient to cause the problem you have, it would continue to leak and leave a stain on the footwell carpet, particularly when hot. The other possibility is dampness in the carpets due to, as you say, some water getting in somewhere. That will also smell over time. Homebase and other DIY stores sell cannisters with a dessicant that absorbs damp from the air inside the car, and it does dry out the insides quite well over time and keep the dampness down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

it really sounds a lot like heater matrix problem,

You can use radwell etc but it might get you to more problems, you never know.

Heater matrix change is usually quite expensive, because it takes a lot of work to get that bloody thing out of the dashboard,

I have done the change to Matiz and it was quite pain in the...

Do you get sweet, moist smell when you put the heating on? Then heater matrix is quite strong quess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Pollen filter could be manky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

^^^
    As above, I would assume the pollen filter got wet and instead of drawing in nice fresh air it's taking in a mist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 master-d

When you turn the fan onto full power does as much air come out as should? ie is is all noise and no pressuer?

If not then id say your pollen filter is damp and picking up moisture as well as being blocked a bit by the water which causes the reduction in pressure, just replace it, if the same air comes out at the same pressure as it should well then id say you have engine coolant getting into the system which will be a more expensive problem, bring the car to a garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks guys, hadnt thought of the pollen filter at all to be honest. That said there is no smell when the blower is on full blast and the heater off - is the air still going through the filter then?

The smell of the air when the heater is on is more kind of engine'ish if that makes sense, almost metallic. I called my local garage and have booked it in for next week. God I hope its not going to kill my pocket to get done.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Save yourself a few quid, polen filter for a Fabia 1.4tdi is around €25 - €30 quid. I have attached a pdf file so you can see where it fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks OldmanMondeo, that looks easyenough to do will try that tomorrow (day off work) , certainly worth a try if its only going to cost that little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Ring your local motor factor first and make sure that they have in stock, not a normal part to hold in stock. We have 4 here for distribution around the country. We have a place in arklow who can get for tomorrow if you need. PM me and I will give you details, rather that posting phone numbers and advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just a point to the people recommending Radweld: Novastop is a lot better when considering using such a product. It costs about €20, but the can holds enough for about four treatments, afair.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement