Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plaster board cracks ...

Options
  • 03-09-2008 3:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I Have some small cracks around the edges of the ceiling? can i just use
    polyfiller to fill these or will i have to replace plasterboard?
    some corners are about quarter of inch in width...

also can anybody help me with removing stipple from ceiling it`s an old house? with new extention... new exteninon has plain ceiling... ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

There was a similar thread to this started by DJKAV on the 19th August with a good suggestion from Mossie110. There was also a thread by REW on 6th August about removing stippled plaster from ceilings. Both threads worth a look. In the case of the cracks I'd go with Mossie and use acrylic filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Most hardware stores sell a screen mesh that you can use to help provide support for big holes or cracks. The mesh provides a surface for the polyfiller to stick too and so many times you do not need to actually replace the drywall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

^ Scrim tape.

I'd go with this and some drywall joint filler...you'll get a nicer finish than using an acrylic filler or caulk. Patch it with a filling knife, sand it down and re-paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

I have similar problem renovating my current house, my plasterer is doing as said in last post. He is starting with a good coat of polybond and a layer of scrim over the cracked area which provides a key for the lafarge jointing compound this is leaving a good solid finish which could be painted as it comes up quite well with a light sanding.

Regards
    Builditwell

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

thanks but the stipple is very annoying ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

1 coat of bonding on the ceiling and skim over it ,good as new

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

it has stipple i tried scraping away but looks worse now ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

DJKAV wrote: »
    it has stipple i tried scraping away but looks worse now ....

refer to my previous post

Advertisement