Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New key for UK import dearer than for Irish sourced car?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I've been told that a replacement key for a Toyota Yaris will cost €150 to supply and code, however when the garage, a Toyota main dealer, realised that the car was a UK import they said the price would be €230 as they had to do things differently and it cost them more money.

I thought that all the keys were supplied as blanks, the metal shaft cut to the same as the original and the transponder coded to the car using the car itself and one of the original keys. I don't see how the fact that the car is Irish, UK, or anywhere else makes any difference.

Is there any extra work involved in supplying a key for a UK import or is the garage pulling a fast one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Never heard that one before. I got a second key for a 2003 Passat last year. Key couldnt be cut by a locksmith had to be ordered from the dealer using the VIN of the vehicle and coded cost the same as Irish car. Id always assumed that there was a central vehicle database by the manufactures containing all the relevant data pertaining to each car regardless of where the car was originally imported.

Id say try another dealers and see what they quote you for the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,922 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cars sold in the UK generally have their codes stored on a register that costs money to get the codes from rather than on a code card given to the owner - for this reason I know Fiat keys for UK cars are more expensive to replace than for Irish cars. €80 sounds a bit much though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am not sure about the Yaris, but the landcruiser key can be recoded by a combination of opening and shutting the door and turning on and off in a certain time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

MYOB wrote: »
    ...for this reason I know Fiat keys for UK cars are more expensive to replace than for Irish cars. €80 sounds a bit much though!

My local FIAT dealer wanted to charge me £180 for a new key...I didn't take him up on the kind offer. :)

Advertisement