Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and the ban on VPN

• 03-09-2008 8:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭

I was thinking of jumping ship from my 7.6Mb Eircom package to the 20Mb UPC one. I note that they explicitly deny VPN usage. I do on-call for the job and might need to connect via VPN maybe once a month for an hour or two. Do the actively block the ports or are they just wagging their finger at me as a warning?

Given that I can get the job to pay for the b/b, the VPN ban would be a major no-no

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

I have been using VPN for years on NTL/UPC. Its never been a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

They don't support the use of VPN's on their connection according to their Terms & Conditions, but I didn't read anywhere that they've banned the use of VPNs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

ondafly wrote: »
    They don't support the use of VPN's on their connection according to their Terms & Conditions, but I didn't read anywhere that they've banned the use of VPNs ?

Oh, I get you now, I read it as 'VPN is not allowed'. Happy days then, 20Mb @ EUR40 p/m vs 7.6Mb @ EUR75 p/m

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ondafly wrote: »

Don't support and banned are VERY different meanings, don't support just means if you call them for help setting up a VPN they'll tell you to go away and there 100% in doing this :)

Alot of ISP's don't support XYZ brand of routers, but of course they'll work if you set them up correctly...just means they won't talk you through it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Sound job lads, thanks for all the help. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Same as above, I work from home quite frequently using VPN. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cabaal wrote: »
    Don't support and banned are VERY different meanings, don't support just means if you call them for help setting up a VPN they'll tell you to go away and there 100% in doing this :)
    Actually I think it's more that if you ring them and tell them that your VPN is crawling or dropping connections, they can immediately tell you where to go.

It's a little like Ryanair's "do not use us for flight connections" rule, which doesn't say that it won't work, it just says that they don't care when it doesn't.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

seamus wrote: »
    Actually I think it's more that if you ring them and tell them that your VPN is crawling or dropping connections, they can immediately tell you where to go.

It's a little like Ryanair's "do not use us for flight connections" rule, which doesn't say that it won't work, it just says that they don't care when it doesn't.

Basically the same thing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

I just disconnected my 20Mb UPC line because it was up and down so often.
    Stay well away if you're in the malahide area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

So I need to use VPN to logon to work but it wont let me. I am connected on VPN but I cant access parts of the company network My IT dept checked and all setting on the laptop and VPN are correct, so its most likely a problem with UPC. Does anyone of you know what setting I need to check on the modem for it to work properly?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Poncke wrote: »
    So I need to use VPN to logon to work but it wont let me. I am connected on VPN but I cant access parts of the company network My IT dept checked and all setting on the laptop and VPN are correct, so its most likely a problem with UPC. Does anyone of you know what setting I need to check on the modem for it to work properly?

Thanks

I've used a VPN for ages on NTL, do your IT dept have any more specific reasons as to why it doesn't work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

We tested the VPN connection on a sepparate line at work and it works fine. Also VPN works in my mate's house and it does work at my parents in the Netherlands as well. I have tried everything here at home and it will connect to VPN but it wont let me access my work network. But when I pick up the laptop and go to another ISP it works like a charm. Also colleagues have UPC and it works for them too. So we think might be a UPC issue just for my area because another colleague living a few houses down the road has the exact same issue as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Poncke, if you're going to start a thread on this issue, I'd suggest not bumping every other thread that has dealt with it in the past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement