Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ryder cup

Options
  • 03-09-2008 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

after the announcement of both teams, (especially faldo's wildcards) i've decided to back the US in the ryder cup.

just have a feeling that faldo's ego is going to continue to be a distraction for european team...

depending on pairings etc i'm going to be keeping a close eye on poulter and wilson and look for opportunity's to back against them...

what bets are ye thinkin of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

I know where you are coming from.

How many times over the last 10 years have USA been the fav's and lost.

Now the Europe are the fav's

I think it will be very close.

A friend of mine has lumped onto USA.

Gamble with your head and not your heart

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

Have to go against you on this one.

Will be investing in a European success. I like the look of the European side and feel there is plenty of scope for some interesting pairings especially with 2 Swedes, 2 Spainards & 2 Paddies as a starting point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Europe to win by a record score imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Less optimistic about a European win than I was a couple of weeks ago but still think they'll edge it. Azinger's wild cards are aptly named in my opinion. Not a strong Yank team. Decent enough European side. If you had asked me a few weeks ago I'd have lumped on Europe but now I'm second guessing myself. Think this might be one just to enjoy on the box for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

I fancy Europe. I dont think the Americans are as passionate or want to win as much as Europe.Europes players have been better in recent majors eg Harrington, Poulter and Garcia. Anybody know roughly wat price Europe would be to win it outright??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

think theyre odds on

Thought harrington was d only paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Think poster is bracketing Graeme McDowell as a paddy. I dont know what way he swings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I fancy the US, faldo is an arrogant w*nker and if europe win it will be inspite of him not because of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

Im fairly sure he is left footed so I suppose we have one Southern Irishman & one Northern Irishman which probably equates to one Paddy. But I think you know what I meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fearandloathing

i hate to say it but i fancy the americans. on paper the europeans have a better team but i think there isnt going to be the same team spirit that we have witnessed in recent european sides. it is well documented that harrington and garcia hate each others guts, poulter is under severe pressure to perform after all the media coverage surrounding his wildcard pick and even though no team member will openly admit it, i would speculate that at least a few must not be the biggest fans of nick faldo. the guy failed to pick an in form darren clarke who along with westwood have a fearsome fourballs and foursomes record that would surely produce more points for europe this time around.. poulter has no form to speak of.. hansen, karlsson and wilson arent exactly proven big game players and i just feel that the team lacks experienced leaders to fill the void left by the absence of veterans monty and clarke. this is clearly the nick faldo show, and he wants nobody taking the spotlight from him next week. Furthermore, the american team looks weak on paper but is it really? there may be a lot of rookies, but the likes of the impressive anthony kim must be hungry to write his name into ryder cup history. furyk, leonard, cink and perry are all veterans of the game who would prove very hard to beat for any of the europeans. wildcard stricker is the current world no. 8 and surely as strong a wildcard as a captain could pick. Local boy kenny perry is my tip to be the hometown hero of an american victory, he's 10/1 with boylesports to be the top american points scorer.. anyway, theres my 2 cents, i hope im wrong and the europeans give the americans a good wholloping! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

This is a tough one for me. I believe the Americans will win and do it easily. I think not having Monty (and he couldn't have been picked) is a blow as he is a bit of a talisman. This was further compounded by Clarke not being picked.
    Woods is no loss to the USA imo so the USA at odds against look monster value.
    Having said that I couldn't watch it if I backed them because I love seeing Europe win. So I'd like to be on USA big and if I was a punting pro I think I would be but I'll likely have no bet

I'll be backing the matches on the day. with a fridge full of cold ones to keep me going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fearandloathing

Trampas wrote: »
    I'll be backing the matches on the day. with a fridge full of cold ones to keep me going.
    +1:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

Like the above suggestion, just getting into the golf myself now. I think I might get on the US for the craic. I'd like to see Faldo be exposed for the knob he is.

Should be interesting, God dam it I just love sport too much. So much action this weekend. Kerry, Rder cup, Utd V Chelsea.

Split widescreen i'd say.

As I will be unable to watch any or much of this I decided I couldn't pass up the yanks odds against - home advantage & don't have Faldo as a captain - and have backed them. Furyk has been in good form of late and have backed to be top scorer and top American.

What are people backing in the foresomes?

I am going for
    Phil/Kim
    Stenson/Casey
    Campbell/Cink
    Westwood/Garcia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Westwood/Garcia is the standout bet for me today.

Furyk/Perry available at 2/1 vs Westwood Garcia. I appreciate The Europeans should be favs in this match but 2/1 in any foursomes match seems like big value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

my decision to go against poulter worked out for me today, so gonna go against them again with a small punt on stricker/curtis at 13/10 this evening
    also gonna back garcia/jimenez 6/5

Phil/Kim
    Stricker/Curtis
    Garcia/Jimmy
    Lee/Hansen

yankee

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote: »
    I know where you are coming from.

How many times over the last 10 years have USA been the fav's and lost.

Now the Europe are the fav's

I think it will be very close.

A friend of mine has lumped onto USA.

Gamble with your head and not your heart

laughing all the way to the back he is.

he had €2k on it. i've seen the doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What odds?

Mike

Advertisement