Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shantall - Pay & Display Parking?!!

Options
  • 03-09-2008 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Received a letter today from the Shantalla Residents Association saying they're considering a pay & display service being run on all roads in the area and that it's going to a vote.

It's 10euro per annum, limit of 4 per household for people living in the area. Then 1.50euro per visitor, limit of 52 per person, or 104 per house.

So they want me to pay everytime my girlfriend/friends come over with their cars? Are they actually serious? So I'm just expected to have a stash of these permits for visitors and charge them 1.50 to call over?

They didn't exactly make it clear whether or not the 1.50 for visitor's permits is a once off, or an every time payment. Regardless, what happens if a person I don't expect calls over and who hasn't a permit (and I don't have one..) They get clamped for calling over for a cup of tea?

What exactly is the point? Anyone that is going to park (i.e. the residents) is going to park anyway, regardless if it costs 10euro or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I live in a P&D area and when my friends come they either pay at the machine or chance it.
    Why would you pay for your friends? Do you get a stack of parking discs or something for the €10?

Once P&D is in operation they can fine vehicles that don't belong in the area to deter them from parking there for free = more spaces for you.

Residents can apply for council parking permits, €10/year (in my area)

You are asking the wrong people, go to the meeting and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

The leaflet mentions that there is a meeting about it on Thursday (I think?) Go to the meeting and say what you've just said, nothing is decided yet. As far as I know it goes to a vote? Where I live in Shantalla, we've not been affected by the pay and display on the shantalla rd. Usually cars don't park there (as a consequence of the pay meters on shantalla rd) but I'd say its different for others a bit closer to Cookes Cr. Personally I wouldn't want it implemented but if its a problem for alot my neighbours (cars parked all over the place), then I'd definately consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I used to have P&D parking when I lived in Dublin, it was 125 euro per annum! When I got my residents permit I was given a stash of about 20 visitors discs. These are valid for 24 hours. If I wanted more I could get them from the council at about 2.20 a pop (I'd say this is what the 1.50 is for here?). I never got through the all visitors discs because people generally visited in the evenings when it was free.

If you're having to battle to get parking on your street I'd say it's worth it, otherwise it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

At least you got some notice. I just woke up one morning when I was living on Mill Street to find the lines painted and the signs up. As said above, when friends called round they either payed & displayed or risked it.

My residents permit was 10 euro for the year, and was for my car only.

It has pro's and con's, as mentioned above it's easier to get parking as a resident as people are less inclined to park there if they have to pay.

hada wrote: »
    limit of 4 per household for people living in the area.
    Exactly how big is the average house front in Shantalla that you would be able to park 4 cars there. Living in / near the city centre the numbers should be restricted to 1 car per household with any extra being charged as a visitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... pay & display service being run on all roads in the area ... It's 10euro per annum, limit of 4 per household for people living in the area. Then 1.50euro per visitor, limit of 52 per person, or 104 per house.

So they want me to pay everytime my girlfriend/friends come over with their cars? Are they actually serious? So I'm just expected to have a stash of these permits for visitors and charge them 1.50 to call over?
    What exactly is the point? Anyone that is going to park (i.e. the residents) is going to park anyway, regardless if it costs 10euro or not.

Read a bit harder. I think you'll find that you are being offered resident's exemptions scheme to compliment the badly-needed pay-and-display.

If you (resident) want to park there, you need to pay for an exemption permit (that's the 10-euro bit .. and cheap IMHO ... where I come from, it's more like 50-euro/year).

If your girlfriend/friends come over, they may:

1) walk (better for them and the planet)
    2) catch the bus (better for the planet)
    3) drive and purchase pay-and-display ticket like anyone else, or
    4) ask you for a visitor-exemption-thingie (you get 52 annually, you pay for 'em, your choice whether you gift them to your visitors or charge 'em .. probably depends on how much you like the visitor!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'm actually surprised someone would be against this. i'm not a resident of Shantalla but nearly every time i go through there someone double parked is blocking a route, or making access difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

In the past year, they checked parked cars along St. Mary's Road/Cooke's Corner exactly 3 times after they introduced Pay and Display. In 12 months. So I would not really worry about it. Plus parking is free after 6.30 p.m. anyway.

And it was the same there in terms of execution - got a letter from the council 2 years before, woke up one morning to painted lines. The council are great for such stunts...

The only really annoying thing about resident's permits is the running around for all the paperwork...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LDgalway

I live on Enda's road, just up from Cooke's corner, and it is impossible to get parking now that they've lined Shantalla road!! Everyone is crammed into the free parking area, and I have to drive in circles to find parking anywhere near my house.
    I chanced a few times parking on Shantalla Road just up from Cooke's corner, where it's pay parking. Out of the 4 times, I was ticketed twice, so I definitely think they're checking frequently. I would love there to be pay and display, to actually have a chance of parking near my home!! I hope the majority of Shantalla votes yes for pay and display, it's seriously needed for the sake of the residents!
    I wan't able to attend the meeting yesterday, does anyone know how it went??

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

I live on Bothar Einde (Endas Rd) too and can't wait for P&D A lot of hospital workers park on our street as they would have to pay to park at the hospital. A lot of people who work in town do as well. We often can't park near our house as a result.
    Bothar Einde is being made pay and display whatever the outcome of the RA meeting so after that commuters will park on the next nearest street. Sooner or later that will be your street and then neither you nor your friends or girlfriend will be able to park near your house because it will be full of other peoples' cars.
    At the moment you can park anywhere you like in the city including pay and display after 6.30 in the evening and at weekends. And for the times you get day time visitors well it nearly costs €1.50 in petrol at the mo to drive across the street so if you're driving short distances in the first place you're not short a few bob.
    If you are then tell your girlfriend to get a bike or a bus or even better ask her to move in with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Didnt the residents of shantalla object to the building of a multi storey car park on the hospital grounds with the access from costello rd? If that is the case then it seems that the residents really do want their cake and eat it.
    How many of those who object to people parking in their area, park in residential areas when visiting other parts of the city (or other places for that matter), the parking is a real issue in that area I agree but there does seem to be a bit of a NIMBY attitude from some of the residents.

TROLL !!!

The OP is against the idea of residents parking. I am for it. The issue will be decided by a majority vote of residents.
    The Planning Authority can side with a single objector to a planned building. That doesn't get put to a vote.
    If you agree that "parking is a real issue in the area" then what are you on about.

Webbs wrote: »
    Didnt the residents of shantalla object to the building of a multi storey car park on the hospital grounds with the access from costello rd? If that is the case then it seems that the residents really do want their cake and eat it.
    How many of those who object to people parking in their area, park in residential areas when visiting other parts of the city (or other places for that matter), the parking is a real issue in that area I agree but there does seem to be a bit of a NIMBY attitude from some of the residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

What I was trying to say was that a proposal for a carpark on the waste ground next to the hospital (that would have helped alleviate the parking problems in the roads around the hospital) was rejected in part due to the residents of shantalla objecting.
    I appreciate if you live in the area you would like to be able to park outside your home, but in this city of non existant public transport where car is king, I would have thought that the reality is that a sensible solution was turned down. The original post i put up was not a Troll just a post that you dont agree with!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Ok first of all I seem to be getting a bit of roasting here over my objection to P & D parking being introduced - people are making absolutely ridiculas assumptions, saying I should get my g/f to walk/bus/move in, without even knowing the first thing about where she's coming from (lives in Dublin btw so all your very helpful advice was pointless, cheers). And secondly, I was using her as an demonstrative example not as a definitive argument, obviously lost on most posters.

I live at the top of Shantalla where we don't have a problem with people parking so as to walk into town/the hospital etc. In fact, it's actually the residents who often create the problem with bad parking/getting their knickers in a twist when someone parks in a certain spot, etc etc.. So in fact people like ourselves will actually be charged to park in our parking spots, for no reason - there isn't a problem with outsiders parking on our road.

Had I realised (which obviously I hadn't) that there was a problem with lower shantalla and people using the area as a free parking spot, then I would have not posted this message. I am totally in agreement in theory with the idea of P & D in Shantalla.

But in saying that, I do not agree in practice with what is going to be introduced - for two reasons: 1) It causes hassle when friends/visitors do call over re paying (for example a friend would like to park her car at mine for the night after 6.30pm, and sleeps in until 10am, and is clamped that morning

2) All residents are to pay 10euro themselves to park in their own parking spots even though in some areas of shantalla there isn't a parking problem with non-residents/non-interested parties, using the area as free parking.

I'm all for the idea in theory, as I said above. But I'm also for treating equals equally (residents, frequent visitors) and unequals unequally (people using it as free parking for other purposes)

Hey I was just joking bout your girlfriend moving in with you.
    :)
    I was just making point that the real problem is not more parking or priority parking or lack of parking. It's too many cars but I guess it doesn't affect ye're side as much.
    Maybe any vote could be done on a street by street basis as there does seem to be two different scenarios. Of course I say that but I think the meeting has already happened. Anyone any idea how it went?

Ok first of all I seem to be getting a bit of roasting here over my objection to P & D parking being introduced - people are making absolutely ridiculas assumptions, saying I should get my g/f to walk/bus/move in, without even knowing the first thing about where she's coming from (lives in Dublin btw so all your very helpful advice was pointless, cheers). And secondly, I was using her as an demonstrative example not as a definitive argument, obviously lost on most posters.

I live at the top of Shantalla where we don't have a problem with people parking so as to walk into town/the hospital etc. In fact, it's actually the residents who often create the problem with bad parking/getting their knickers in a twist when someone parks in a certain spot, etc etc.. So in fact people like ourselves will actually be charged to park in our parking spots, for no reason - there isn't a problem with outsiders parking on our road.

Had I realised (which obviously I hadn't) that there was a problem with lower shantalla and people using the area as a free parking spot, then I would have not posted this message. I am totally in agreement in theory with the idea of P & D in Shantalla.

But in saying that, I do not agree in practice with what is going to be introduced - for two reasons: 1) It causes hassle when friends/visitors do call over re paying (for example a friend would like to park her car at mine for the night after 6.30pm, and sleeps in until 10am, and is clamped that morning

2) All residents are to pay 10euro themselves to park in their own parking spots even though in some areas of shantalla there isn't a parking problem with non-residents/non-interested parties, using the area as free parking.

I'm all for the idea in theory, as I said above. But I'm also for treating equals equally (residents, frequent visitors) and unequals unequally (people using it as free parking for other purposes)

Webbs wrote: »
    What I was trying to say was that a proposal for a carpark on the waste ground next to the hospital (that would have helped alleviate the parking problems in the roads around the hospital) was rejected in part due to the residents of shantalla objecting.
    I appreciate if you live in the area you would like to be able to park outside your home, but in this city of non existant public transport where car is king, I would have thought that the reality is that a sensible solution was turned down. The original post i put up was not a Troll just a post that you dont agree with!

Point taken but I didn't object to anything and I'm still suffering. You can't just say we are having our cake and eating it when clearly many are not.
    I try to cycle as much as I can around the town so I don't affect other people as much as they affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... saying I should get my g/f to walk/bus/move in, without even knowing the first thing about where she's coming from (lives in Dublin btw so all your very helpful advice was pointless, cheers).

The advice to use public transport was far from pointless. Train is an excellent way to make the trip. If she's coming up on the weekend (most likely time), then a return train fare is 30-euros with a Weekender card - it would cost more than that it petrol, and be a lot more stressful due to traffic volumes. Then a short ride on the 4W or 5W bus should get her to pretty close to your place, unless I've really mis-understood where they go.

I live at the top of Shantalla where we don't have a problem with people parking so as to walk into town/the hospital etc.

There soon would be if P&D was introduced only at the lower end of the road.

Advertisement