Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To fix or not to fix that is the question (323F Head Gasket)

Options
  • 03-09-2008 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi Guys.

Im not a petrol head, but I got sold a beautiful car last year for the shockingly low price of 400 euro (gf father) and fell completely in love with it. 1993 Mazda Eunos (323F) Jap Import, Leather Seats, Electric Windows.. its pretty unique looking for the 323F. I havent seen any other 323 like it since I bought it.

Anyway. Yesterday as I was driving back from electric picnic, I noticed smoke coming from the driver side and pulled in immediately. Opened the bonnet and the coolant was boiling over. It was still bubbling and boiling 10 mins after I had turned off the engine! Freaked me out. I managed to drive it to a garage and after a quick look the guy reckons the head gasket is fecked.. said it will cost me about 500-600 euros to fix.

Im not exactly flush with the cash at the moment.. so what do you guys think I should do. Should I just forget about it (and buy some lame ass second hand car for 1000 euro) , or should I persevere and fix it? Im really confused.. I doubt Ill get a beauty like this again, but its burning a hole in my pocket since I got it..

Any advice appreciated.. i dont know much about this stuff!!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You possibly haven't got €5-600 to fix it but you can spare 1k to buy another?
    If you like it that much (and there is nothing else wrong with it) then keep it as you don't know what issues you will inherit with a 1K car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭massplanck

kbannon wrote: »
    If you like it that much (and there is nothing else wrong with it) then keep it as you don't know what issues you will inherit with a 1K car!

No. I do have the money to fix it. I just want to make sure im making the right decision here. A few people have said get a car loan and buy something newer. When I mean i aint flush with the cash I dont have 3000 to shell out for v good car. But I odnt want to get into debt to be honest.

Alslo. Head gasket problems.. how do I know that the root cause of the problem will be fixed and not just the head gasket? I dont have a clue what could have caused it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

AFAIK the 323f was never badged as a Eunos, could it possibly be a MX-3 or MX-5? What's the engine capacity? 1.5, 1.6 or 1.8?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

When you say its been burning a hole in your pocket since you got it, does this mean that there have been other issues that needed attention. Or is it just the usuals that are hurting the pocket i.e. fuel, servicing, tax, insurance etc?

kazul wrote: »
    AFAIK the 323f was never badged as a Eunos, could it possibly be a MX-3 or MX-5? What's the engine capacity? 1.5, 1.6 or 1.8?

1.5 it says EUNOS on the back of it and looks like a 323F but with nicer back lights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fix it

barryfitz wrote: »
    When you say its been burning a hole in your pocket since you got it, does this mean that there have been other issues that needed attention. Or is it just the usuals that are hurting the pocket i.e. fuel, servicing, tax, insurance etc?

Well. I got it for nearly nothing but.. i have had a few issues. I spent 400 euro servicing it when I bought it, needed to get a new battery, ignition broke (key snapped in it) but I suppose these are usuall wear and tear things. It went for the NCT recently and only failed on rear suspension (that needs to get done too).

Im thinking its worth it. Its a beauty.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You seem to be wanting us to tell you to keep it - I think most people have already told you to!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Easy

400 price
    600 gasket

still cheap for a car you obviously love.
    Mind, once cars start falling apart there is no telling where it'll end.
    Next big thing goes (clutch, trans) - send the car to a breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

massplanck wrote: »
    Well. I got it for nearly nothing but.. i have had a few issues. I spent 400 euro servicing it when I bought it, needed to get a new battery, ignition broke (key snapped in it) but I suppose these are usuall wear and tear things. It went for the NCT recently and only failed on rear suspension (that needs to get done too).

Im thinking its worth it. Its a beauty.

Face it, you love this car.Fix it.

• Advertisement

thanks guys. I just wanted to know i was doing the right thing. Its getting fixed.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fix it, Ireland needs a few 323f's on the road, they're a gorgeous car, very well styled.

Eunos is a brand owned by Mazda, much like Lexus is Toyota's Luxury brand,

If your car has pop-up headlights (89-94 model) it is a Eunos 100.

If your car is the newer (93-99) model then your car is a Mazda Lantis, the Eunos sticker on the back may be a Japanese dealer sticker, or stuck on by the previous owner.

There were only 8 Eunos models, all were sold between 1989 and 1996

I've heard of radiators getting gunked up on 323's causing problems, this may be the case here. best to get the cooling system checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dainius

i've been quoted 800 for mazda 626 h/gasket, but local mechanic did it for 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

kbannon wrote: »

+1

Advertisement