Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shinny Coat?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

When you see short haired dogs at shows like crufts etc and they have a really shinny coat it that because of the dogs diet and supplements or have rubbed something into the dogs coat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

I'm not sure, but we give ours some Cod Liver oil in their food and it helps to keep their coat glossy and in good condition. Good for their joints too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

cod liver oil on somedays i give mine and raw egg on some other. seems to be a good combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

ditto the cod liver oil.

Also, we sometimes mix a tin of tuna in brine in with our dogs dry food, it seems to work!

You can also buy spray products to put on dogs coats to increase the shine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

any thing you see on crufts is fake. if you ever go to an ikc show you'll see people using every thing from talc powder, food dye and polish to brighten up and colour their dogs. i'd say the rub oil of some description on the coats to get the shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Ditto on the cod liver oil.....my dog had very dry skin & the oil has improved it no end & her coat is VERY shiny. Also, she loves the flavour....licks the bowl clean!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I would avoid anything in brine for animals, that is really salty. Go for the vegetable oil ones. I don't give tuna anyway because of the high mercury content, much safer with sardines.

If you are feeding a high quality food you won't need to add any oils or supplements to get a shiny coat, you will also know that the shininess is from general good health rather than just an excess of oil in the diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

hi there,
    i own a rottweiler who i show too. His coat is really shiny and its not from washing or sprays.
    He is fed a high quality fish based food, KRONCH (I get it from paddypaw.com) and he gets pure salmon oil too, its much better than cod liver oil.
    Everyone always comments on his coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

I would avoid anything in brine for animals, that is really salty. Go for the vegetable oil ones. I don't give tuna anyway because of the high mercury content, much safer with sardines.

If you are feeding a high quality food you won't need to add any oils or supplements to get a shiny coat, you will also know that the shininess is from general good health rather than just an excess of oil in the diet.
    exactly if your dogs are feeding right they wont need any supplements or oils etc..

Theres no harm in adding oils to feed, apart from giving shiny coats, they can also help with joints or skin problems and improve the general health of an animal.
    As long as they are getting the correct dosage, it can only improve and maintain good health, just like people take cod liver oil, it helps our health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Our lab-cross has a pretty shiney coat and he isn't fed anything special. At the moment he's on Red-mills(cause we're a bit broke:(). Hope to put him on Orijen soon though.I think its like people good nice skin/hair etc-either you have it or you don't. Like me-I have good skin but a rubbish diet. :pac:

Have a look in the pics thread at him.......and that doesn't do justice to his shineyness. He's oh so much shinnier than that. He does do A LOT of swimming-Loves it, god bless his little heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

lindtee wrote: »
    Our lab-cross has a pretty shiney coat and he isn't fed anything special. At the moment he's on Red-mills(cause we're a bit broke:(). Hope to put him on Orijen soon though.I think its like people good nice skin/hair etc-either you have it or you don't. Like me-I have good skin but a rubbish diet. :pac:

I've recently started the canine horde on Orijen (they've been on Arden Grange but the Orijen should hopefully help our arthritic 4 year old collie) and they absolutely adore it. I've never seen bowls cleaned so fast!

You can get it on/in Brendas Pets for less than anywhere else I've found it. :)

Its actually cheaper on zooplus.co.uk. Plus free delivery. Its £43.90 which is around 53.92!

I've read some great reviews about it so am looking forward to trying it on the dogs.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/orijen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Don't forget that in addition to a good diet, regular grooming will keep the coat looking glossy, too. Even short coated breeds benefit from a weekly once over with a hound glove. The grooming removes dead hair, so your dog will immediately look more clean and shiny. Plus it stimulates blood flow to the surface of the skin and distributes sebum through the coat.

boomerang wrote: »
    Don't forget that in addition to a good diet, regular grooming will keep the coat looking glossy, too. Even short coated breeds benefit from a weekly once over with a hound glove. The grooming removes dead hair, so your dog will immediately look more clean and shiny. Plus it stimulates blood flow to the surface of the skin and distributes sebum through the coat.

Going to pick me up a hound glove today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

http://www.zooplus.ie
    This is the Irish site for Euro

They also sell timberwolf and solid gold two other high quality foods.

http://www.zooplus.ie
    This is the Irish site for Euro

They also sell timberwolf and solid gold two other high quality foods.

Don't order through the Irish site cause it will cost more! Only noticed that after I placed my last order.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

They use coat shine sprays

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Sorry for ressurecting an old thread, but I currently give my dog a tin of tuna in oil every day. It is working out a bit pricey so I am interested in the suggestion of giving cod liver oil instead. Do you just give one spoonful in with their dry food? I had previosly looked at the salmon oil, but it is pretty expensive, does the cod liver oil do as good a job?

The salmon oil is not that dear at all, depending on the size of the dog, and the size of the bottle it will last you quite a while, a 1litre bottle, costs about 25 lasts me well over a month and i have a rottweiler.

Where did you look for the salmon oil? Salmon oil is better than cod liver oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Why is the salmon oil better, Andreac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

sunflower oil is very good. a teaspoon once or twice a week works well for my dog.
    i buy a bag of orijen and brandy. chicken and rice and mix them, it seems to work really well for my Jess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

When you say sunflower oil, do you just mean the ordinary stuff that we cook with?

The salmon oil I saw was in my local pet shop and it was €15 for a smallish bottle. I was nervous about paying that for a bottle, cos my girl is quite fussy and it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibilty that she'd turn her nose up at it :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 settergirl

Both my setters are showdogs(can be seen in pets pics) and all i give them is their regular dry feed with either eggs or sardines in sunflower oil. I dont use anything rubbed into their coats as they are naturally shiny through good quality feeding. I tried using coat shine stuff once and all it did was give them dandruff so i stopped using it. Though I do use Magic coat moisturising merlot shampoo when bathing them it helps to keep their coats well moisturised.

Also, after my setter had pups a few months ago her coat went in a terrible state, her once lovley silky shiny hair and feathering turned thin, wiry and dull, she looked terrible.

We started using Vitapet Moult formula in her food. Its a kind of fish oil and made specially for dogs to help their coats when moulting and can also be used for bitches after having pups. She is very picky as to what she will eat but she absolutley loved the taste of it in her dry feed and we could see excellent improvements within a week!!

Advertisement