Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick ableton question

• 03-09-2008 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Hi, this has been wrecking my head for hours. I'm trying to get a MIDI track in Ableton to output to a synthesiser so that I can control it.

So I drew in some notes on an empty MIDI track and hit play on my clip. No joy.

My midi monitor tells me that it's sending control messages when I hit Play or Stop, but no notes are sent. The little midi out thing in the top right corner is not flashing either when playing or not playing. I have the MIDI output port turned on for Track, Sync and Remote.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ok basic check of everything:

1) midi output is correct?
    2) midi cable is running from correct output on soundcard to midi in on synth?
    3) midi channel is correct on both ableton and the synthesiser?
    4) remote is enabled on synth (if it has that option)?
    5) audio jacks from synth are running into soundcard/mixer?
    6) if soundcard for above, are correct input channels activated on an audio track(s) and set to live monitor within ableton?
    7) if you have local enabled on your synth, and press a key, can you hear it?

work through them and let me know where you stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

1) midi output is correct?
    Yes

2) midi cable is running from correct output on soundcard to midi in on synth?
    Yes (there is only 1 output)

3) midi channel is correct on both ableton and the synthesiser?
    Can't figure out how to set the channel on a midi track on ableton. Maybe I've to explicitly get it to output midi?

4) remote is enabled on synth (if it has that option)?
    Doesn't have that option, no idea what the hell it is.

5) audio jacks from synth are running into soundcard/mixer?
    6) if soundcard for above, are correct input channels activated on an audio track(s) and set to live monitor within ableton?
    7) if you have local enabled on your synth, and press a key, can you hear it?

To the rest of them, it's definitely not the synth. I have a midi monitor program running on the computer that tells me Ableton is definitely not outputting midi notes

Cheers

Advertisement