Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin coat of arms

Options
  • 03-09-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Greetings all...

Quick question.. on the Dublin coat of arms what does the 3 burning castles symbolize? i know the 'Obedienta Civium Urbis Felicitas' bit translates to 'The obedience of the citizens produces a happy city' or 'An obedient citizen is a happy citizen' or something, and i think the fire has something to do with war.. but i was just wondering if someone could explain the significance of the 3 castles with fire on them?

cheers
    Mack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Spike440

The origin of the Coat of Arms is unknown, but there are numerous theories. Three of these include:

The castles are watch towers outside the city walls
    The castle is Dublin Castle and is repeated 3 times because of the mystical significance of the number 3
    The castles are not castles at all, but represent 3 gates into the ancient Viking city

(http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/LordMayorDublin/Pages/MansionHouse.aspx)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

ohh Theories... :)

cheers man

Advertisement