Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC BB Disappearing at night and painfully slow in the evenings:(

Options
  • 03-09-2008 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Lads,

My 10mb UPC broadband is painfully slow in the evenings (about 1mb) and around midnight it’s completely disappearing for hour or two… It’s like that since the weekend’s “fiber cut :(” I am living in Dublin 8. Are you experiencing same issues?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 netstorm

from what i read everyone seems to be having this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I feel your pain. It is driving me crazy at this stage.

The exact same things happened last year when NTL decided to upgrade some connections to 10mb for the summer. It caused havok with some connections. They dropped it back to 6mb and all was fine for a year again until these new speed increases to 20mb it has become disasterous!

And UPC are claiming they are capable of speeds now of 40MB +. No thanks, I'll stick with me 20 :pac:

...i mean :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

HungryJoey wrote: »
    And UPC are claiming they are capable of speeds now of 40MB +. No thanks, I'll stick with me 20 :pac:

...i mean :mad:

Where did you hear about that 40Mbps? Unreliable connection here in the past few weeks. A technician will be over on Saturday, I doubt it'll make any difference unless it's an issue at my end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

mart_max wrote: »
    Where did you hear about that 40Mbps? Unreliable connection here in the past few weeks. A technician will be over on Saturday, I doubt it'll make any difference unless it's an issue at my end.

It probably wont make any odds, people are experiencing it for weeks now around dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

There are multiple threads about this on the forum. Come on lads, take a look around before starting a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Sounds contention of some sort? They up speeds and everyone starts leeching like mad. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Same here in Leixlip ping and page refresh/change speed in particular terrible at peak times ...yet strangely download speeds still fairly ok ...Some times it feels like dial up when opening a new web page...
    I was delighted with the 'free speed' and put up with the (now sadly more frequent) outtages but this 'slow' service at peak times is the pits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dogg

Was anybody calling UPC regarding the problem? What they're saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

They are not saying anything. The usual fookin speil about contention ratios and the Hadron Collider affecting the credit crunch! It is absolutely ridiculous. I mean even if they gave a time frame as to when it would be sorted, but not bloody likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Liamario wrote: »
    They are not saying anything. The usual fookin speil about contention ratios and the Hadron Collider affecting the credit crunch! It is absolutely ridiculous. I mean even if they gave a time frame as to when it would be sorted, but not bloody likely.

Phoned them at 10am and was given a time scale of 1-2 hours

• Advertisement

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liamario wrote: »
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

exactly.

looks like they have even stopped taking calls on tech faults now

Best it has been in weeks today.

5.5/10mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Join the club horsebox - UPC BB is a load of nonsense since they "upgraded" everyone.

Looks like serious network capacity issues to me - their network clearly wasn't ready for the amount of increased traffic they failed to account for.

I am not banking on this being resolved in the near future...

I've been getting upwards of 35MB! some nights, but i imagine that that is completely wrong. In any case the upload speed is non existant lately. Time for me to get the old P90 out and pay UPC a visit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

My 20MB connection tonight

323960805.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

AntiVirus wrote: »
    My 20MB connection tonight

323960805.png
    Just out of interest try the magnet speedtest and see what you get and download this for a little bit (link)

Doing the magnet test, i'm getting 10mb +, which is reasonable enough, but upload is still less than 500kb. What this means, i don't know

I also did the test at the same time on speedtest.net and its giving me a reading of about 1500kb download. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

DingDong wrote: »
    Just out of interest try the magnet speedtest and see what you get and download this for a little bit (link)

Just doing the Magnet test and the transfer rate has settled at 165KB/Sec

Speedtest.net again
    324010511.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It all depends where you do your speed test to. I find dutch servers to be faster than the uk now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Dublin 1 city centre in Custom House area here. On Ethernet cable, tested minutes ago.

324228343.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Might be back on track, can anyone confirm

Anyone hear the "you will be credited, for all the time your service was affected" speil from the customer service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Seems like problem solved. Speeds consistent all night tonight - even now.

324541319.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

Just checked mine on both speedtest.net and magnet an I'm only getting 6Meg down and lucky to get 0.5Meg up!! The highest I've seen my download reach was 13Meg...not quite 20!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SexVicar

False alarm. Just my Router deciding not to play ball.

It went for 3 minutes at 2:15. Must be doing some overnight maintenance.

The download speed seems to have settled down, but the upload speed doesn't even reach 512, which really makes me angy, as it is really important for online games

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Round trip times is important for online games, not bandwich, so check "ping, ms" figure

My 10 m/sec was back down at 1.5 last night again

crap it anyway

• Advertisement

It would appear that the problem has returned. ie connection is sh*t

Advertisement