Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC BB Disappearing at night and painfully slow in the evenings:(

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Great 20mb connection yea?
    326989403.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24 niall0s

Something very wrong is happening tonight

Can't get to loads of sites, including slashdot.org

Speed is lowest i've ever seen too

20MB?

326997207.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Rubbish here too:

327001974.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Speed tests are okay for me but the web is very slow and many sites won't load.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

pure crap for me - couldn't connect to any online games from 21.15 and eventually gave up at 21.45 - lots of time outs on websites but my teamspeak was working all the way through this?

I'm disconnecting from games all the time - no stability

Anyone got any good application that monitors and records connection so that I can hit them with some facts and figures rather than having to deal with the usual crap of "you've probably got a virus"

327007964.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

pure crap for me - couldn't connect to any online games from 21.15 and eventually gave up at 21.45 - lots of time outs on websites but my teamspeak was working all the way through this?

I'm disconnecting from games all the time - no stability

Anyone got any good application that monitors and records connection so that I can hit them with some facts and figures rather than having to deal with the usual crap of "you've probably got a virus"

327007964.png

You could always point to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Same for me last night - it was fine up until 9.30, then I got dropped (from WoW) a couple of times, I could connect to some TS servers but not others, some websites but not others, I did a traceroute to one of my UK TS servers and was being routed through the USA. Couldn't get to any ryder cup website or wow one, but could connect to RTE and bbc. Was very odd.
    Was getting the same speeds as others (1mb down, 1.5mb up) on speedtest using the Dublin server.
    Couldn't connect to any speedtest server in central Europe.
    Seems like a DNS/routing and performance issue all rolled into one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

I had similar problems last night. Just after 9pm everything started to go. I'm on the 20mb package.
    Trying to talk to the zombies in UPC customer services all you get is "there is no problem, everyhting is fine" over and over again comical ali style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

rgfuller wrote: »
    Same for me last night - it was fine up until 9.30, then I got dropped (from WoW) a couple of times, I could connect to some TS servers but not others, some websites but not others, I did a traceroute to one of my UK TS servers and was being routed through the USA. Couldn't get to any ryder cup website or wow one, but could connect to RTE and bbc. Was very odd.
    Was getting the same speeds as others (1mb down, 1.5mb up) on speedtest using the Dublin server.
    Couldn't connect to any speedtest server in central Europe.
    Seems like a DNS/routing and performance issue all rolled into one.

Yup it was ****e last night ( or the night before , can't remember at this stage ) .

The routing to UK servers Via America is not a new thing though, its been happening since the 20 Mb upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Was anybody's UPC connection f****d last night? I'm in the city center and when I got home at 20:30, it was dead as a door knob. Stayed dead until I called it a night at 23:00 and found it working again this morning.

The thing is, the problem was exactly like it was a week or two ago, when almost everyone in Dublin saw hours of downtime and UPC claimed it was a fiber cut: TV working fine, all status lights on the modem indicated and connection and were even showing some activity but not able to connect to anything, be it HTTP, MSN, Skype, etc...

Since I don't see a huge thread here this morning, I assume nobody else was affected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭dodzy

J-blk wrote: »
    Was anybody's UPC connection f****d last night? I'm in the city center and when I got home at 20:30, it was dead as a door knob. Stayed dead until I called it a night at 23:00 and found it working again this morning.

The thing is, the problem was exactly like it was a week or two ago, when almost everyone in Dublin saw hours of downtime and UPC claimed it was a fiber cut: TV working fine, all status lights on the modem indicated and connection and were even showing some activity but not able to connect to anything, be it HTTP, MSN, Skype, etc...

Since I don't see a huge thread here this morning, I assume nobody else was affected?

Just back on here in D15. Down from 9.00 but maybe earlier. Cant say. Speeds still poor. Upload extremely slow. Getting used to it now. Fed up ringing NTL. Connection speed up / down like a prozzi's panties.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭maurice1

You guys are lucky - at least yours seems to work most of the time.

I left Irish Broadband to go to these guys in Mid August and in fairness to IBB it never broke down, However In Deansgrange I got about 6 hours uptime yesterday (Wednesday) at lunchtime and from 6pm till 10:30.
    Monday and Tuesday were a joke. Only for my PAYG three on my Nokia I would be cut off altogether.

Re: Dr Bolouswki question if you go to 192.168.100.1 you should see the interface for the modem and the log shows the times.

I've sent about 6 emails to customer.support@upc.ie and I received 6 automated responses all saying the same crap, even advertising their wonderful service!!! - Just to P me off. Has anyone got a proper reply from their customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

maurice1 wrote: »
    Re: Dr Bolouswki question if you go to 192.168.100.1 you should see the interface for the modem and the log shows the times.

I keep getting "This feature has been disabled" any time i go anywhere else apart from the index page of the modem. Any idea how to enable it?

I've sent about 6 emails to customer.support@upc.ie and I received 6 automated responses all saying the same crap, even advertising their wonderful service!!! - Just to P me off. Has anyone got a proper reply from their customer service
    You have to call them and convince them hard enough that you're not just another random person who cant work the firewall or something. Insist you know what the problem is and dont be rude to them over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I left Irish Broadband to go to these guys in Mid August and in fairness to IBB it never broke down, However In Deansgrange I got about 6 hours uptime yesterday (Wednesday) at lunchtime and from 6pm till 10:30.
    Monday and Tuesday were a joke. Only for my PAYG three on my Nokia I would be cut off altogether.

I'm from the same area myself. Keep getting promised call backs as their tech support is so busy. (What?! Busy? Seriously?!)

I don't expect anything from them anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Thanks for info on 192.168.100.1

Unfortunately it is disabled on my modem - to echo another poster - anyone know how to enable this? Is it a firmware update?

Thanks for info on 192.168.100.1

Unfortunately it is disabled on my modem - to echo another poster - anyone know how to enable this? Is it a firmware update?

I'm sure if you ask one of their engineers nicely they might tell you.

goto 192.168.100.1

then power down the modem and back on again. It will go thru its startup sequence and you will be able to view details on the other tabs. But once it has initialized ( 4 constant lights and one flashing "on line" light ) you will only be able to view the status tab as the rest will lock out . Mine tells me that transmit power is 61dbmV - Tech support tells me everytime I call that I WILL have problems at this level. I say ......... DOH !

EDIT: Just found this http://forums.cable-modem.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&topic=840

I've been with UPC/NTL for broadband for over 3 years now - I've been happy with them for the most part (besides the absolutely terrible phone support) but there has definitely been a dip in the line's stability since the latest batch of upgrades - I think I only had a couple of hours of downtime on one occasion in almost the whole time before the upgrade. Since then, it has been messed up on a number of occasions.
    Has anyone got a proper reply from their customer service

Yes, 3 times so far. I never, ever bother calling them, I just email. I usually do not get an answer until 4-5 days later but an answer always comes through - in all occasions the problems have sorted themselves out as usual and they end up crediting me for the downtime stated in the mails...

Sent this email
    ME wrote:
    Hi,

I phoned your helpdesk over a week ago now.
    I was told that my BB would be repaired within the hour. This issue has been occurring for over a month now, with speeds as low as 0.8mb/sec down and 0.5mb/sec uploads. As I am paying for a 10 mb/sec connection, I find this totally inadequate.

As such I will be expecting

1. A credit for the time that I have not been able to avail of the service, that I am paying for. Including possible renumeration for time that service was denied.
    2. Resumption of this service post haste.
    3. Or an acknowledgement that I am no longer tied to a contract, with your company. In which case I will retain the service but have no penalties, if/when I become dissatisfied enough to terminate.

I hope that an answer can be sent promptly. Failing such an answer, I will assume that the 3rd option outlined is in effect.

Kind Regards,
    NR

got this back
    THEM wrote:
    Ref: ******

Acc No: ********

Dear Mr Rugger,

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding your Chorus/ntl broadband service.

Please be advised that we have passed your query to our Broadband Support Team for investigation. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Thank you for your valued custom.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on our freephone number 1908 or email us on customer.support@upc.ie

Kind regards,
    SNIP

Customer Support Team Chorus ntl
    SNIP- removal of suggestion to e-mail staff member

9875down
    950up

Tell them the above, seems to work

Cool, let us know if it holds though - my 20Mb/s is all over the map. I think that's the problem most people are having, though some very unfortunate folks get completely crap speeds all the time.

• Advertisement

J-blk wrote: »
    Cool, let us know if it holds though - my 20Mb/s is all over the map. I think that's the problem most people are having, though some very unfortunate folks get completely crap speeds all the time.

early days yet but it's still holding

329693737.png

Oh how I love speedtests in work on the nightshift.

And there I was earlier - at home struggling to get in excess of 1 mb on the ultra pack.....:confused:

" UPC, take a leaf out of this....":p

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mrooqie

hey fellows

i have been observing my broadband (20megs) for the last couple weeks and i spotted that they seem to have some limiting on their network. sometimes when i start download for 30s up to 1min reaches humongous 2400kB/s but it drops down to 10megs afterwards- that sitatuion happens during all day. espacieally torrents whan i download sometimes-never gets higher than 1MB/s - thats random ports of course. another story is with HTTP downloads. in this case situation is always dramatic. newer higher han 200kb/s. i must use Flashget in order to get higher speeds by running 10 channels in the same time.
    My conclusion is - their framework network or network equiment is not adapted for the offer they have. You dont need to go deep to see that NTL uses massive traffic shape/ services prioritization to get equal quality on all services like gaming/voip etc

Well they are definitely traffic shaping more heavily than before. I've had NTL/UPC for over 3 years and with private trackers, I could always max out my connection with torrent downloads. Even after the upgrade, I was getting 2.2Mb/s down on most downloads - last week, my connection died for most of the evening and since it has been back, torrents refuse to go over about a collective 400Kb/s no matter what. "Other" sources still max out the connection so yep, it seems they are now heavily restricting torrents in my area too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

norrie rugger it is against this forums rules to mention staff members belong to any company, its also not nice to suggest that people give a staff member grief, infraction issued!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Looks like Rapidhshare for me. Pity, as i liked visiting my private trackers everyday, see whats what. Downloading from Rapidshare just seem so non-eventful in comaprison. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

lads from reading the previous posts it seems that my problem (down time) is the opposite to most of you guys. for approx the last 5 weeks mine has dropped off at 8am or so and come back on between 4-5pm everyday(actuall the last few days it not come back on until about 7pm). it went on so long before being reported because down time just happened to coincide with working hours so i didn't notice. at night it's fine, usual speeds, no problems. either way, called UPC last week, the nice girl didn't seem very surprised about my problem and arranged for a tech to visit. the tech's verdict is that there is a problem with the physical connection to the modem??????? no mention of fiber cuts or similar issues being reported. i wasn't there for his visit so i missed an opportunity to question him.

does it not seem strange to you guys that a supposedly faulty cable connection just happens to remember it's faulty between the same hours of the day for the last 5 weeks?

obviously, upon hearing this, i assumed it's a cop out. he's back on monday to replace the cable. . .that'll definitely fix it! I'm well out of contract so if anybody can suggest an alternative reliable BB supplier, please feel free to enlighten me, please.

Apologies, rant over

(actually i had to wait to post this because it dropped off again!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

dodzy wrote: »
    I'm sure if you ask one of their engineers nicely they might tell you.

goto 192.168.100.1

then power down the modem and back on again. It will go thru its startup sequence and you will be able to view details on the other tabs. But once it has initialized ( 4 constant lights and one flashing "on line" light ) you will only be able to view the status tab as the rest will lock out . Mine tells me that transmit power is 61dbmV - Tech support tells me everytime I call that I WILL have problems at this level. I say ......... DOH !

EDIT: Just found this http://forums.cable-modem.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&topic=840

I,m having the same crap with UPC. I have the same transmit power as you(61.0). Enginner was out last week and said that it was too high (at the time he came it was 58.0). Told me somebody would call out during the week to fix it. Now it's 61.0. Any suggestions? By logging into the modem is there any thing I can change myself to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 quinlaj2

Hi there,

I'm living in D18 and have had no BB connection at all since maybe last Wednesday (well thats when I noticed it anyway). My PC says wireless strenght is excellent but cannot load any webpages. When I connect directly with a cable same story. Cannot connect Xbox live account either. I'm on the 10mb package.
    I spent an hour and a half on the phone to UPC callcentre on Friday (they cut me off twice after passing me around so obviously hoped I would just go away). I was eventually given their Premium PC support number to ring but ringing from my 3 mobile I was connected to a messaging centre in England I think. When I called UPC back they said I needed to contact 3 and get the number unblocked. I did and 3 had no idea what I was talking about. They said the number was in no way blocked and they had it listed as UPC's Premium PC Support line but I still get connected to the messaging centre when I ring it??? When I called UPC back yet again and told them I could not get through to their PC Support line and requsted that they contact them on my behalf I was told that they were not going to do that and that they could not help me further...when exactly had they helped me in the first place???
    Just sent them an email this morning cause I just can't face riniging them anymore...anyone else experiencing no connection at all??

• Advertisement

I,m having the same crap with UPC. I have the same transmit power as you(61.0). Enginner was out last week and said that it was too high (at the time he came it was 58.0). Told me somebody would call out during the week to fix it. Now it's 61.0. Any suggestions? By logging into the modem is there any thing I can change myself to fix it?

Hi Cahir, visit from said engineer tomorrow AM. Have not had any success getting into the modem. Will let you know how we get on. By the way..... connection is deadly tonight. Typical !:mad:

Advertisement