Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abusive Texts and Pressing Charges, O2

• 03-09-2008 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

A friend of mine is getting blitzed with abusive and upsetting text messages over the past few weeks regarding a private matter and despite her requests the text have not stopped. The mobile number of the sender is registered with O2 but for the name to be released she has to sign a form to say that she will press charges. As the sender is most likely to be a 'friend' she is reluctant to do this as there may be repercussions. Is there any way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Clarice wrote: »
    A friend of mine is getting blitzed with abusive and upsetting text messages over the past few weeks regarding a private matter and despite her requests the text have not stopped. The mobile number of the sender is registered with O2 but for the name to be released she has to sign a form to say that she will press charges. As the sender is most likely to be a 'friend' she is reluctant to do this as there may be repercussions. Is there any way around this?

Why doesn't she change her number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Clarice

With the detail they are giving it has to be a friend and the texts are coming through on all her mobiles so chances are whoever is doing it will get her new number aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

Tried ringing the number from a private number to find out who it is??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well, they arent much of a friend if they are sending abusive texts. she should sign the form imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Indeed. Friends don't send you abusive texts. She should actually press charges as well as just signing the form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

You could always try dialling directly into the sender's voicemail by putting a '5' just after the (for example) "086", e.g.

086-5-1234567

They may not have their voicemail setup, but you might get lucky and hear something like "Hi, this is Piggles McGinty. I'm not here but blah blah blah" and presto, you know that scoundrel McGinty is to blame.

The other thing you (or someone else could do) is try some social engineering. Ring up the number from a private number (or a seemingly unknown number, e.g. from a phone down the country or a from a friend abroad) and pretend to a marketer or a surveyor or technical support from somewhere and have a conversation with them. Although it's a daunting task, I'm sure you could find someone you know who's sympathetic to your friend's situation AND is confident enough that they could pull it off.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Your friend needs to grow some balls, press charges and be done with it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Just reply to the Messages and say something like. "The Gardai are aware of these messages, if they dont stop now you will be facing charges"
    This should stop them - if it does not they deserve what they get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Or you could always post their number here and we'll nominate those working night shifts to ring it at 3am, 4am, 5am every day til they stop ;)

(I don't think you're actually allowed do that, by the way, just in case you were seriously considering it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Would suggest you file a report with O2 and also your local Garda station. Nothing that anyone here can do legally to help you find out.

You've really gotta consider how abusive these texts are and if you want to be friends with this person...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

reply to message saying you have contacted O2 and they will release the name to you if you wish to press charges, and if the abuse continues you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Clarice

Thanks for all your replies. When we dial from a private or strange number there is no answer. There is no voicemail set up either. She has text back to say she is getting the Gardai involved but the texts are still coming. Disgraceful behaviour. :confused:

get the gardaí involved then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Clarice wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies. When we dial from a private or strange number there is no answer. There is no voicemail set up either. She has text back to say she is getting the Gardai involved but the texts are still coming. Disgraceful behaviour. :confused:
    This really doesn't seem to be a query on mobiles then .. seems more of a personal issue of whether to get your "friend" (I use that in the lightest possible sense of the word) in trouble or not? Honestly .. my mates have wound me up before via phones etc .. but never anything malicious or anything to get this worked up about.

Go down your local Garda station right now (if you live in a city I guess?) and get this reported and off your chest.

++ edit - off your friends chest I mean ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Raaber70

Thanks for all your advice. Received another 2 texts last night, 1 to my phone and 1 to my boyfriends phone. I suppose the only thing left to do, is go to the Gardai...

text arriving at night wud usually indicate a few people involved, possibly while drinking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

zuroph wrote: »
    text arriving at night wud usually indicate a few people involved, possibly while drinking...
    Disagree with that, one text at night might be that but getting a stream of texts at different times would suggest it's not.

If you don't recognise the number but the person know's a certain amount about you chances are that the person specifically bought a sim card (pre pay) and is using it so you won't trace it back to them.

Get the network / police involved is the best way to do it, you'll need to keep a copy of the texts as evidence. In the mean time there's not a major amount you can do legitimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

Have you tried going in to an o2 shop and asking them to look it up? I'm sure a nice quiet chat with a sympathec guy and in 5 mins you'll have it....
    Ps have no quams about reporting people like this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Cat5 wrote: »
    Have you tried going in to an o2 shop and asking them to look it up? I'm sure a nice quiet chat with a sympathec guy and in 5 mins you'll have it....
    Ps have no quams about reporting people like this..

That's not gonna happen, there's no way the people in the stores would give out that sort off information, it's a massive breach of the data protection act and working for one of the networks I've seen people get a P45 for doing that.

I've been asked in the past by mates to get information on a number and haven't even done it for them considering that I wouldn't do it for a friend there's no way I (or any of the staff I know) would help you in that way.

Take the advice already given report it to the network and police, you'll have to go through the correct channels to get it sorted. Sorry I know it's probably not what you want to hear OP.

Advertisement