Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insultating the attic ??

Options
  • 03-09-2008 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

My house is 12 years old and the attic insultation (the roll-out yellow stuff - fibreglass or mineral wool ?) has sagged.
    I need to boost the insulation as the wife is always complaining of the cold during winter.
    What's the best way to go about it nowadays ? Should I just buy more fibreglass and lay it over what's already there and under the wires, to bring its thickness up to ca. 200 mm ? Should I remove what's already there and start again ? Should I move away from these materials cos I know they're not good for the health. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I was in B&Q at the weekend and they had some non fibreglass insulation that's fine to breath in and you can use bare hands to roll out.

As for the rest of your questions I am afraid I cannot help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

How much has it sagged?
    100mm, 150mm & 200mm are most standard thickness. Maybe you can build up the existing with a thin layer - 75mm or so.

If you leave existing in place, then install 150 - 200mm Rockwool at right angles to joists. This will greatly improve the insulation. ( Rockwool flexi won't sag!) Take care with cables etc.

Fibre glass isn't easy to work with but its cheap ! If you lay it perpendicular, at right andle to joist then you won't be cutting it much - simply cut bag and unroll. (Maintain ventilation at eaves to prevent dry rot)

Unfortunately this will limit storage in the attic, as you won't be able to see the joists!

It worth having a small platform, built over and supported by the joist, to store christmas decorations. Maybe build a small platform access to the water tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That insulation you can get is B&Q (Eco Wool) is fine as long as you don't have to cut it to size. It also comes in two layers of 100mm each.

See here for more.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055361619

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Cutting the length is fine, if you need to cut the width I would just fold it or lay perpendicular as mentioned above.

This stuff is often on sale at BOGOF or half price so Id wait and buy it then (thats what I did, but take note, your car doesnt take as many of them as you think it will :D )

GreeBo, how did you cut it? I can tear it fine, but it takes significant effort. I find some layers are harder than another. A sissors won't cut it, knife either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Use a hand saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

10-10-20 wrote: »
    GreeBo, how did you cut it? I can tear it fine, but it takes significant effort. I find some layers are harder than another. A sissors won't cut it, knife either.

Garden Shears :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

thanks for the help folks

GreeBo wrote: »
    Garden Shears :)

Ha Ha! Good idea!

• Advertisement
Advertisement