Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just passed..what do i need?

• 03-09-2008 11:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Just got my cert of competancy and i'm going to apply for the full livcence staright away.What do i need to bring with me,fees etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 willie joe

First of all U need a good celebratory Drink, Congrats.
    Its one of the s**tiest things to have to do. Make it 2 or 3 drinks, U deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Congratulations Degsy! :)

Completed form D401
    Certificate of Competency
    €25
    Pics x 2
    Your Provisional/Learner Permit

(Photocopy Cert of Competency and Provisional/Permit before sending them off)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

errr.... apply for your full licence:confused:

just fill out the form the tester gave you and send it away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

irishbird wrote: »

Not quite.
    Ya need to head into the motor tax office,bring the slip,your old licence,two pictures and 25 quid for ten years.
    They said they'll send the licence out in a few days.
    Can i claim a rebate from my insurance people as well??

yeah, you phone up your insurance company and tell them you have passed. they will ask you to send in either a copy of your full licence or a copy of your certificate.

My licence took 7 days from the day i posted everything off (5 working days)

What form? :confused:

If one has passed a test, the examiner will grant a Certificate of Competency. This certifies that the named person is deemed to be competent in the relevant category/categories. It is then required to be presented to obtain a Driving Licence. The RSA/SGS do not issue Driving licences!
    Degsy wrote:
    Can i claim a rebate from my insurance people as well??
    It really depends on the insurance company and the circumstances. For many people it won't really make any difference.

What form? :confused:

my tester handed me the form to send to the motor taxation office, so i just filled that out and sent it away with the necessary documentation.

i got €20.00 back on my insurance:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've never heard of the tester giving you the form. Only the cert of competency.

oh right, i thought it was standard - sorry:o

Finglas RSA give them to you

my tester handed me the form to send to the motor taxation office
    That's a new one on me!

I've done nine driving tests and was only ever handed the Certificates of Competency or a Statement of Failure.

I've never heard of anyone else (until today) being given a D401 form at a test centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

That's a new one on me!

I've done nine driving tests and was only ever handed the Certificates of Competency or a Statement of Failure.

I've never heard of anyone else (until today) being given a D401 form at a test centre.

did you fail 8 times?

I think Irishbird is just telling fibs to justify her off hand comment to the OP

I believe WA holds a license in every category!:pac::eek:

bejaypers :eek:

ntlbell wrote: »
    did you fail 8 times?
    All 14! :)

(Failed motorcycle and articulated truck 1st time ;))

All 14! :)

(Failed motorcycle and articulated truck 1st time ;))

Can i have some?:p:pac::)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Irishbird..they didnt give me anuy other form other than the certificate of competency and i did it in the same centre as you.
    As far as i know you need to get the other form at the motor tax office.
    It only took ten minutes once i had all the stuff,including the money and photos.
    I'll ring the insurance people tommorow,it could be worth 70-80 quid if i get a rebate for the month..better than an explosive suppository any day!:D

ntlbell wrote: »
    I think Irishbird is just telling fibs to justify her off hand comment to the OP

:eek: the cheek of you :eek:
    Degsy wrote: »
    Irishbird..they didnt give me anuy other form other than the certificate of competency and i did it in the same centre as you.
    As far as i know you need to get the other form at the motor tax office.
    It only took ten minutes once i had all the stuff,including the money and photos.

I done mine in Jamestown Business Park with the RSA, i thought you were doing yours in the SGS Northwood?

Anyway, Degsy you can get the other form in the Gardai Station or the Library

He definately handed me the form and the certificate which made me assume it happends everwhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

He definately handed me the form and the certificate which made me assume it happends everwhere

I sat my test on tuesday in RSA Tallaght and I too got handed the application form for the full driving licence so Irishbird isn't the only one :) Popped it into the Motor Tax Office on my way home from test and got my pretty pink licence in yesterdays post.

SnoozyS wrote: »
    I sat my test on tuesday in RSA Tallaght and I too got handed the application form for the full driving licence so Irishbird isn't the only one :) Popped it into the Motor Tax Office on my way home from test and got my pretty pink licence in yesterdays post.

I did mine in tallaght recently and there wasn't a form insight!

liars! the lot of ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 macinson

I did my test last Friday, and was handed the form to fill out along with the certificate also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I did my test today and was given a form too, Finglas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Yep. Passesd in Finglas and was handed Full License Form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

passed in monaghan on thursday 11th of feb and was given the form. I just filled it out and took it to the motor tax office that day. Got my license posted out to me on the monday.

LOL - thanks guys - i knew i wasnt going mad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

Des wrote: »
    I did my test today and was given a form too, Finglas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The system's a bit odd: fail the driving test and you can drive home with your licenced passenger. Pass the test and you can't drive for several days as you don't hold a full licence. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Was handed the form when i passed in tallaght test centre too. Don't see anything unusual about it:confused:

Just realised this thread is going back to 2008 :O

concussion wrote: »
    The system's a bit odd: fail the driving test and you can drive home with your licenced passenger. Pass the test and you can't drive for several days as you don't hold a full licence. Madness.

You can drive with the cert of competency, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

Once you apply for the full licence (after you passed the test), you have to hand in the learner permit, so you are not allowed to drive until you receive the full licence in the post, because you don't actually hold a licence full/learner.

That's a really weird anomaly.

Also, a fair few people seem to be passing in finglas, maybe it's the place to be applying :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5 The1Bill

I passed today, was handed a certificate of competency, my scoring sheet, and the license application form. The instructor gave me directions to the Cork motor tax office, where I went with 25 Euros, two pictures, my learner's permit, and the certificate of competency, only to walk out the same day with my new full license.

Is this not how other motor tax offices operate?

-Bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I drove for a week after passing before me licence came had no problems:D

The1Bill wrote: »
    I passed today, was handed a certificate of competency, my scoring sheet, and the license application form. The instructor gave me directions to the Cork motor tax office, where I went with 25 Euros, two pictures, my learner's permit, and the certificate of competency, only to walk out the same day with my new full license.

Is this not how other motor tax offices operate?

-Bill

Most will post it out to you within about a week. Well that's the case in most Dublin Motor Tax offices i've heard of. I suppose it depends how busy they are. Congrats on passing by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 The1Bill

I thought that it was the norm for the office to produce the license on the spot. I know that in the US, it takes a week or so to get the license, but those are printed plastic cards, not pieces of paper with a sheet of plastic stuck on them. ;-)

-Bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

RobertM wrote: »
    Once you apply for the full licence (after you passed the test), you have to hand in the learner permit, so you are not allowed to drive until you receive the full licence in the post, because you don't actually hold a licence full/learner.

I got handed back my learner permit when I applied for the full license....strange enough as it was :P

Also, not 100% sure on the legalities of it but most of the time, I'd say you're grand to drive with the reciept of application for the license.