Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL BB not available in Rathgar?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

WTF, i just moved house and in my new flat there is an NTL box along the wall.
    Rang them up and they tell me i can't get BB here, only Digital TV?
    That sucks.
    I've been using NTL at my last place for years.
    No idea where to get my BB now!
    Any help, suggestions?
    (not wireless BB)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Calm the indignation jman - they don't have a public service obligation for braodband or indeed television for that matter;-)

Although -I'm in Ranelagh myself & just moved into an apt with the same story - digital tv but no BB from them (the callcentre girl advised after Christmas their upgrade works in the area should be done so we'll see)

What I've done is get a phone line & ADSL through BT Ireland - €39 a month for line rental / 1 meg broadband service, with a 6 month contract. It activated quickly (had my own modem) and so far quite happy with it. True - nearly twice the price of 3 meg with UPC but far bteer than ripwave (which I returned quite sharply within the week cool off period)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Dardania wrote: »
    Calm the indignation jman - they don't have a public service obligation for braodband or indeed television for that matter;-)

Although -I'm in Ranelagh myself & just moved into an apt with the same story - digital tv but no BB from them (the callcentre girl advised after Christmas their upgrade works in the area should be done so we'll see)

What I've done is get a phone line & ADSL through BT Ireland - €39 a month for line rental / 1 meg broadband service, with a 6 month contract. It activated quickly (had my own modem) and so far quite happy with it. True - nearly twice the price of 3 meg with UPC but far bteer than ripwave (which I returned quite sharply within the week cool off period)

Dardania,

So did you get Eircom to install a line first and then switch? Is the 1meg okay for youtube and downloading, etc. What kind of speeds you get? Can't possibly be anyone on here with crapper speeds than me. Still waiting for NTL BB but not holding my breath. I'm in Dublin 8.

317722480.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BadCRC

I've come across this before and it isn't always related to an upgrade being needed. In my apartment block which is 20 years old, they only have one way coaxial cable so can't run Broadband through it. Check what the situation is at your place before making any interim plans.

I don't think there is anyway to fix it unless the apartment blocks management board gets around to petitioning UPC/NTL etc. Not very likely in my estimation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

BadCRC wrote: »
    I've come across this before and it isn't always related to an upgrade being needed. In my apartment block which is 20 years old, they only have one way coaxial cable so can't run Broadband through it. Check what the situation is at your place before making any interim plans.

How does one go about checking this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Dardania,

So did you get Eircom to install a line first and then switch? Is the 1meg okay for youtube and downloading, etc. What kind of speeds you get? Can't possibly be anyone on here with crapper speeds than me. Still waiting for NTL BB but not holding my breath. I'm in Dublin 8.

317722480.png

Correct - there was phoneline in my apt - I plugged a handset in & dialled 199000 & 198000 to find out what number it was & who it was with. eircom reactivated it for me for I think €25, I got the UAN from them so I was able to process the new connection with BT.

One thing I found - offer to do direct debit with eircom and they'll waive the security deposit. With BT, they looked for €125 advance payment regardless of payment method...

Speed wise - I'll post ya a speedtest later but I'm getting about 850k odd down & 100k odd up, and QOS is good enough for Skype & PS3 gaming. I figure where it will hurt me is the 10gig a month... which was my mahor tradeoff - I could have gone with IBB DSL & gotten a much higher limit BUT a 12 month contract.

Bittorrent flys - soaked up the full bandwidth (see attached for traffic on the 30th) - and *tube works alright offpeak...

Pleasantly surprised & might even save money on my phone bill for calls by using the landline!
    BadCRC wrote: »

I don't think there is anyway to fix it unless the apartment blocks management board gets around to petitioning UPC/NTL etc. Not very likely in my estimation.

Management companies might be swayed by the phrase "offering added value to potential tenants" ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 BadCRC

Tago Mago wrote: »
    How does one go about checking this?

It was a long time ago when I checked. Can't remember what I did, but I assume it was something along the lines of calling their sales team.

Advertisement