Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duel Flush Toilet Issues

Options
  • 03-09-2008 12:42pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I have a dual flush Toilet but the damn thing keeps filling and filling and won't stop so it overflows into the bowl.

I've tried pulling up the stock myself thinking that maybe its not floating right but this doesn't stop it either, any ideas what may be required to resolve this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Sounds like the rubber disk in the inlet valve is cracked or perished, or even just disappeared if you can pull up the ball valve stem without any effect. Either a new valve or a new rubber disk, both easily available from DIY stores and cheap and simple to fit. The other possibility is that the valve is just sticking and not seating properly. Try waggling the ball valve stem up and down a few times!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tried waggling it but to no affect, I'll take a look at this rubber disk, where exactly is it located?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The two most common types of valve are ones that have a piston in a pipe with the stem of the float connected under it, and ones where the float stem operates a diaphragm inside a plastic housing. The first are usually brass, with the float stem hinged in a bracket underneath the tubular part, normally with a split pin as the hinge shaft. On the end of the brass housing there will be a knurled cap that can be unscrewed. If you then remove the split pin the whole piston can be withdrawn. In the end of it there will be a rubber disk that can be replaced (DIY stores have them).

If it's the second type, they are usually entirely plastic and much larger diameter (and often blue for some reason). In this case the float stem is hinged off the front of the casing, which has a screw cover (about 30 mm diameter from memory). If so again take off the float stem and unscrew the cover, you'll find a diaphragm inside, and again, that can be replaced with a new one from any DIY store.

I'n not aware that dual flush systems have any different arrangement, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Main thing to remember, of course, is to stop the supply to the cistern before you do any of those things, or you could have a lot of water at your disposal:D. Loos are usually supplied from a header tank in the loft, and I always turn off the water temorarily by simply sticking a wine cork in the tank outlet. It saves a lot of draining down and I can enjoy the wine before starting the job;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have two of these blooming things and sorry I got them, they always end up becoming loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jcgowran

Cabaal wrote: »
    So I have a dual flush Toilet but the damn thing keeps filling and filling and won't stop so it overflows into the bowl.

I've tried pulling up the stock myself thinking that maybe its not floating right but this doesn't stop it either, any ideas what may be required to resolve this?

Seems you've got a real problem there! Was in Australia recently and found many of the Dual Flush toilets constantly leaking. The Loo manufacturers make most of their money from selling spare parts for these loos.

:) Solution: throw out the dual loo flush and fit a tried and tested Siphonic Toilet. They can never leak. Available in all hardware stores. they are tried and tested since Thomas Crapper came up with the idea in 1861

Ps. don't forget to fit a Mecon Water Saver on the new loo. Then you have the Rolls Royce of Loos! www.meconwml.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

ART6 wrote: »
    Sounds like the rubber disk in the inlet valve is cracked or perished, or even just disappeared if you can pull up the ball valve stem without any effect. Either a new valve or a new rubber disk, both easily available from DIY stores and cheap and simple to fit. The other possibility is that the valve is just sticking and not seating properly. Try waggling the ball valve stem up and down a few times!

you could try taking it apart to clean it also. If there is constuction in your area there is a good chance there maybe dirt (bits of hydro pipe from plumbers tapping it to the mains). the bits of plastic , small as they are cause the duel flush toilets to leak. its very common on new houses in big sites.

Advertisement