Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying RAM online. Which store?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for RAM at the moment. The type I need is $42 for a 2GB stick from crucial.

Should I buy from the UK, US or EU site though. The UK site seems like the obvious one but I'm not sure. Anybody know for definite which one to use for the shortest delivery time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Thanks. Looking at dabs.ie now. I don't know much about memory and stuff but using the crucial scanner thing I need this type. Is this compatible (are they the same thing)? Maybe somebody here can help me out?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

I've used memoryc.com on a couple of occasions. They have software on their website you can use to scan your computer for compatible memory
    See here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

post your pc config here and I'll tell you what ram will do.
    You always seem to play more for the crucial stuff.

I have a Mac Book Pro 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo. The scanner on crucial website gave a result (in the link I posted above). I can find similar ram on dabs.ie (link above). I need somebody with some knowledge to tell me if they are the same or compatible etc... Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I've used memoryc.com on a couple of occasions. They have software on their website you can use to scan your computer for compatible memory
    See here

+1 for memory c. Very good service and quite reasonable prices too.

Cheers guys. I can't run the memoryc scanner on my mac. But what I need to know is if the the ram I'm looking at here or here is the same as the one suggested on crucial here.

The one I found on memeoryc is PC 5400 and the crucial scanner said I need PC 5300. Is there a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭suilen

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49992

That link should explain the difference to you.

Your first link in the last post (dabs.ie link) is PC5300 which is the same as the crucial link.
    The second link from memoryc is PC5400.

So i can use the pc 5400 in the same slot?

Would this one be suitable considering the result I got from the crucial scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭suilen

If your replacing your current memory with 2gig of PC5400 then it will be fine.
    Or have you 2gig of PC5300 currently and are adding another 2 gig?
    If that is the case then you should buy the PC5300.

Heres another link for ya to read, explains it better than me.
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/ram-power-supply-support/153085-difference-between-pc5300-pc5400.html

• Advertisement

I'm removing 1GB and replacing it with a 2GB stick. My machine will then have a 1GB + 2GB. I think the 1GB stick I plan to leave in my machine is PC-5300 as that's the result I'm getting on crucial scanner. I'll probably get the PC-5300 one from dabs.ie

I read the link you included suilen. Thanks. If I do upgrade my RAM won't be running as a Pair because of the size difference. Now I need to find out if my macbookpro can support PC-5300 and PC-5400 at the same time.

Advertisement