Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Trails Day! All Welcome MTB update :-) 28th September

Options
  • 03-09-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys !

FYI :- http://www.nationaltrailsday.ie/events_ww_mountainbikingintro.html

This event will introduce people to off-road mountain biking on purpose-built trails with guides.

All abilities will be catered for with cyclists grouped together according to ability to provide the best experience for all involved.

There will be brief demonstrations of how to cycle on off-road trails and also tips on bicycle maintenance.

You can bring your own bike (and you must also have a helmet) or bike hire (including helmet) is available for the day.

Would be great to see some cross over roadies give it a bash and support the growing sport in Ireland!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

ps I wanna see Blorg there on his fixie attempting b/stoe!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Would be interested in giving this a go. Fixie may go as far as the entrance to the wood but won't be going off the tarmac I can assure you!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

Blorg, do you have a mtb?
    Talk to me about it next time we run into each other.

bump

I don't have a MTB, yet. May change or alternatively I would be looking to rent one. Boards superspin is planned for that weekend though so not sure if I'll make this one.

• Advertisement

dumpy bump

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭paddyb

I mailed the bike rental guys to see what the story is. Once I have a bike, Im in - see whats its like on the other side!

ask on the mad site for someone to borrow you one!! :-)

some have shed loads of mtbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

if i get knobbie tyres in time, I'm in.
    seeing as how I rebuilt an MTB sure I may as well use it! :D

kenmc wrote: »

get a set of maxxis advantage :-) good tire and cheap too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

kenmc wrote: »

Any other folks going along ? I'll probably be there with brother and possibly 2 or 3 others. I shall be sporting my nice new boards.ie training jacket. Hopefully it doesn't get torn up

Verb wrote: »
    Any other folks going along ? I'll probably be there with brother and possibly 2 or 3 others. I shall be sporting my nice new training jacket. Hopefully it doesn't get torn up

its a very durable trail! man built! so don't worry!!

Drapper wrote: »
    its a very durable trail! man built! so don't worry!!

My clothes, not the trail !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I'm annoyed I'm going to miss this.:mad:

Got a stag in London this weekend so won't be back til Sunday afternoon.

Would have been nice to get some tips and the Oughterard course is only 20 miles away.

Verb wrote: »
    My clothes, not the trail !

mtb is a very clean sport ! what made you think we get dirty!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

Hi,

I want to try this but not available on 28th, is there any other dates planned ?

Thanks

maco wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to try this but not available on 28th, is there any other dates planned ?

Thanks

ask on the mad forums?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

my bike is together. whats more I had it up around three rock this evening, and it (and I) is still in one piece! Bit of trimming to do on the gears but that's to be expected. Passed a load of lads with helmet lights on just before it got dark, one or two were wearing Epic gear - that anyone here by any chance? there were 2 of us coming down as ye were going up kilmashogue
    looking forward to sunday.

I think I will try to give this a go, have emailed the bike rental guys- unless some nice 6ft0 boardsie wants to lend me their spare bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Blorg, where do you live? Sizing is less critical with a MTB than with a road bike, and some people (myself included) prefer to use a slightly smaller sized bike for more manoeverability and "throwability" when MTBing

• Advertisement

Live in Ranelagh/Donnybrook, work in Sandyford.

It's lookin good for the weather
    SUNDAY: Any rain or drizzle will die out, to leave a dry day with a mix of cloud and sunny periods. Winds will be light and variable and temperatures will be in the mid to possibly the high teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Blorg, You can borrow one of my bikes. I (and the bikes!) live in the Rathfarnham/Ballyboden area. I'm 5'10, but its usually OK to ride MTBs that are sized smaller. Will send you a PM with contact info.

Cheers Enduro, I reckon I'll take you up on that offer.

see you all sunday and take your cameras for the fun! Coilte is giving a €500 euro voucher for the best photo of the day!!! so wethers its blorg on the switchbacks or verb heading over the bars! there might be a few quid in it!!

bush_hoists_bike.jpg

you never know MTB1 may pay a visit!:D

ps all you roadies goes easy on the lycra!!! the sheep get real afraid!!

There are to be no comments about my excess of safety wear. Crap cyclists require extra protection. Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Anyone got a spare bike I could use to embarass myself? I promise to fall off spectacularly :)

try the lads at www.madmtb.com forums!! they'll help you out!!

btw that mtb bush has is one of a kind make by Trek USA and was used by him in China before the Olympics and used on his private trails in Texas! he loves the sport! (is this a good thing.................)

a vid to get yis interested :-)

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=H4CKvh8IKnE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Bring your cameras if you're coming on Sunday - Coillte are offering a €500 outdoor gear voucher in their National Trail Day photo comptition:

http://www.nationaltrailsday.ie/photo_competition.html

Advertisement