Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is a stupid thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Let's all play basketball then, shall we?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

kida wrote: »
    The link is only highlighting that HE said what he said on his own website- as was widely reported at the time

stop ignoring the obvious FFS :rolleyes:

and my quote is directly from him last week. I didn't ignore 'the obvious'. In fact all I did was quote Haaland. How can you have a problem with that? I'm not saying it did or didn't end his career. Just that he seems to think it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I really would hate to see most the people in this thread refereeing a game.
    Its a mans game ffs. Grow a set.

Even though it is majorly off topic, loads of Gaelic footballers, myself included often go into a game where we already have our radar on another player. Doesn't mean that you are going to do seomthing illegal, just let them know you're there.
    Same in training. Seen it hundreds of times. People need to get over it. He didn't try and break the guys leg. He said he did him in a 50-50. Brilliant. I hope that Song learned not to disrespect his teammate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

monkey9 wrote: »
    Let's all play basketball then, shall we?

No I'd rather play football. Go in hard in challenges, be on the recieving end of hard challenges etc. Its all part of the game we know and love! Sometimes we get hurt, sometimes we hurt others. I'd like to think that players are not out to intentionally hurt opponents though. Sadly there are some players who do, and deserving of punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

This is kinda off topic but........

"Lucas Neill's lucky escape after breaking Jamie Carragher's leg

By Jamie Carragher 4/09/2008
    Lucas Neill

When my leg was broken in an horrific tackle by Lucas Neill in September 2003, my mates were ready to hunt him down if I gave the go-ahead.

A few weeks later I received a phone call. "You won't believe this, Jay. We're in the Trafford Centre and Lucas Neill is walking straight towards us. What do you reckon?"

Did I really want Neill to take a crack? "There's only one problem," added the voice. "Little Davey Thommo is with him."

That was that. I could hardly let one of my best mates, David Thompson, now a Blackburn player, become a witness to an assault. Besides he'd have recognised the attackers. The impromptu mission was aborted and I sent a text to Thommo telling him Neill should give him a hug of thanks.

As word got back to Blackburn about the near miss, or should that be hit, their coach Terry Darracott, a Scouser, appealed to one of my friends to call the boys off. I agreed."

I think its clear Carragher is just a twat tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great bit of modding by someone. +1

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Des wrote: »
    Rose tinted glass syndrome.

He said he went out to "do" him. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

Here's the Roy quote

Look the same to me.

Carragher has admitted to intentionally going out to injure a team-mate, and seems to be fairly happy that he limped out of training.

How anyone can defend that reprehensible act is beyond me.

It's a pretty scummy action, no?

There is a difference between a "reducer" and a "leg breaker"
    anyone who doesnt know the difference or founds their knowledge of the difference on what they have read, has probably read toooo many books and not played outside enough as a child:D

The fact that this has streched out to 18? pages really means some United fans (always united fans) really should find the nearest mirror and stare into it until they see something!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Okay school yard situation:

Young Song laughs at James, he is offended and a scuffle breaks out, James punches Song in the face, Song runs off crying and has black eye.

James goes over to the lads "Did you see that lads, I showed him who is boss"

meanwhile at Manchester school
    Alfie laughs at Roy, Roy tries to punch Alfie, but misses and punches a wall, breaks his wrist and hand is fractured for weeks, when the cast comes off, Roy grabs a baseball bat and goes for Alfie, then turns away and says "Did you see that lads, I showed him who is boss"

... now both students are guilty of assault and then boasting about it to thee lads

but at the end of the day, we know which one is worse.

By the way I am a UTD fan, Roy went to injure Alf, Jamie went to rough him up ... Massive difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

DrMorphine wrote: »

Lucas Neill

When my leg was broken in an horrific tackle by Lucas Neill in September 2003, my mates were ready to hunt him down if I gave the go-ahead.

A few weeks later I received a phone call. "You won't believe this, Jay. We're in the Trafford Centre and Lucas Neill is walking straight towards us. What do you reckon?"

Did I really want Neill to take a crack? "There's only one problem," added the voice. "Little Davey Thommo is with him."

That was that. I could hardly let one of my best mates, David Thompson, now a Blackburn player, become a witness to an assault. Besides he'd have recognised the attackers. The impromptu mission was aborted and I sent a text to Thommo telling him Neill should give him a hug of thanks.

As word got back to Blackburn about the near miss, or should that be hit, their coach Terry Darracott, a Scouser, appealed to one of my friends to call the boys off. I agreed."

Seems to be the case alright. Typical childish behaviour from footballers who behave like kids most the time.

• Advertisement

Lucas Neill

Now this, i completely agree is out of order.

hussey wrote: »

Young Song laughs at James, he is offended and a scuffle breaks out, James punches Song in the face, Song runs off crying and has black eye.

Alfie laughs at Roy, Roy tries to punch Alfie, but misses and punches a wall, breaks his wrist and hand is fractured for weeks, when the cast comes off, Roy grabs a baseball bat and goes for Alfie, then turns away and says "Did you see that lads, I showed him who is boss"

... now both students are guilty of assault and then boasting about it to thee lads

By the way I am a UTD fan, Roy went to injure Alf, Jamie went to rough him up ... Massive difference

If you had posted that yesterday this thread would not exist.

Please make this the end of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Lucas Neill

So basically if Thompson wasn't there it was ok to get Neill - classy guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lucas Neill

Thats poor form tbh.

A bit off-topic, i know. But i actually met Lucas Neill in Cafe en Siene a few weeks after he broke Jamie's leg. I said to him "Jaysus, that was some job you did on Carragher, wasn't it?" He told me to f*ck off and walked out!!!

A bit off-topic, i know. But i actually met Lucas Neill in Cafe en Siene a few weeks after he broke Jamie's leg. I said to him "Jaysus, that was some job you did on Carragher, wasn't it?" He told me to f*ck off and walked out!!!

You should have done him.... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

He is always like that I remember him calling a fan a c*nt when signing autographs because he blamed him for a goal. Then he carried on signing autographs like nothing happened haha. Top bloke :D

Lucas Neill

This thread has deteriorated from a joke to an embarrassment to the forum tbh.

As for this latest for carragher, thats bordering on criminal intent, what a dumbass.

hussey wrote: »

Ok, if we accept that. Do you still think its ok what Carra did?

• Advertisement

JimiTime wrote: »

Yes. Completely! It's no big deal even though people here want to make it as such for some reason.It happens all the time. Nothing wrong with it. It shows you won't be a soft touch. I'd say managers love to see that!

Thats the problem here, i really see no problem with what he did. Part of the game / sport.

This is not because of him being a pool player either. I think this thread is the biggest overeaction i have ever seen on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Lucas Neill

This imo i s lik a million times more conterversial than the quote that started this thread...jees my estimations of carra hav gone down big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Lucas Neill

Sad.
    Oh Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. Why couldn't you have waited 'til you hung up your boots.

This imo i s lik a million times more conterversial than the quote that started this thread...jees my estimations of carra hav gone down big time

Mine haven't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

^^IBH and Monkey9: So you think its perfectly fine to go out to intentionally hurt a fellow player? As long as its disguised as a tackle?

^^So you think its perfectly fine to go out to intentionally hurt a fellow player? As long as its disguised as a tackle?

He never said he went out to intentionally hurt a player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

lmao, this thread is at the same stage it was this time yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Certaintly not, if what he said was true.
    Personally I believe it was a rough up, and that happens all the time.

No one here really knows what happened, we have a guy trying to sell his book. How many extra copies did keane shift for being a hardass? How many more will Jamie shift with his hard-ass tales? 30-40%??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

My only problem with that new excerpt is the reason he gives for not giving his matse the go-ahead. It should have just been a straight no, not because David Thompson was there and he didn't want him involved.

But nowhere does he say he sent his mates out looking for Neill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I just find it funny that, if it was a training match, and they were both on opposing sides, that means that Carra ran from the right-back position to the opposing side's right-back position to 'do' his man - a mad Scouser running the length of the pitch, haha. Better yet, if they were on the same side...

He never said he went out to intentionally hurt a player!

In the context of what is written, there is no doubt in my mind that that was his intention. But leaving that aside. If he came out and said, 'I set out to intentionally hurt Song'. Would you then still say it was ok?

In the context of what is written, there is no doubt in my mind that that was his intention. But leaving that aside. If he came out and said, 'I set out to intentionally hurt Song'. Would you then still say it was ok?
    I just find it funny that, if it was a training match, and they were both on opposing sides, that means that Carra ran from the right-back position to the opposing side's right-back position to 'do' his man - a mad Scouser running the length of the pitch, haha. Better yet, if they were on the same side...

Herbie, training match aka 5-7 aside, probably had to run 20-30 yards

ANY chance of getting a hands up of how many people on this forum have EVER played football, even street football!!!?

Ye do know the anti liverpool thing in england that ye are buying into is an extension of the anti irish thing (as in thats where it started, the winning things added to it later)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

At this point I think Jamie needs to STFU. He is coming across as a complete and utter twat.
    Why in Gods' holy name did he feel the need to talk about players in this way?

This book is starting to read like a football hooligans diary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

podge018 wrote: »
    My only problem with that new excerpt is the reason he gives for not giving his matse the go-ahead. It should have just been a straight no, not because David Thompson was there and he didn't want him involved.

But nowhere does he say he sent his mates out looking for Neill.

If there had even been a semblance of a chance that Carra's mates would have "done" Neill, there is no way Carra would have texted Thompson. I'm sure Carra, his mates and Thommo all got a good laugh out of it.

Neill is obviously the only one who wouldnt have found it funny, but it probably clarifies one thing I could never understand - why Lucas Neill decided to join West Ham instead of Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I get the impression this threads contents are just going to be used as fodder for whenever anyone in the pub says "go on carra, great stuff. Legend" and the boardsie can pop up and say "oh no, he's terrible, he tried to KILL Rigobert Song in training."

Jimi. You seem a bit obsessed. There is absolutely no point arguing what level of force Jamie intended to use in his tackle because none of us have a clue. Its absolutely pointless. You can all argue till the cows come home and there Will Be No Conclusion. Much better for everyone to just admit it might have been a great tackle, it might have been awful. The only fault he has committed (and by fault i mean something that might actually have repercussions) is serialising this excerpt in the tabs. But i have a feeling nothing will come of it. After what happened to keane (who's excerpt was far far more clearcut about his feelings), one would have to assume Bascombe would have looked at this long and hard and made sure it comes across in such a way as there is doubt as to the level of intent to injure or merely give a bit of a tough tackle. And obviously he's done a decent job of it as it Was left unclear, resulting in some of the most pointless pages i've ever read on boards.

elshambo wrote: »
    ANY chance of getting a hands up of how many people on this forum have EVER played football ever street football!!!?

FFS. This keeps on being said. We can play football, we can be hard tacklers, we can be tough, but that does not translate into 'Im going to hurt someone intentionally!'

I really hate this thread!

If he went through him, over the ball whatever with the sole intention of injuring the player without the ball being an issue, then yes, that is wrong.
    If he goes fifty fifty for the ball, goes to win the ball, but takes no prisoners and a bit of "have that", then that is fine.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I get the impression this threads contents are just going to be used as fodder for whenever anyone in the pub says "go on carra, great stuff. Legend" and the boardsie can pop up and say "oh no, he's terrible, he tried to KILL Rigobert Song in training."

LMAO.
    I can't wait for that day :pac: :D

Im new to the "soccer" forums, is this the level it gets to, if it is i wasnt missing much

"I dont like what roy did there"

"ya well I hate liverpool and you are a scouce git who robs cars"

"im from the west of ireland actually!"

"ya well your a west of ireland scouse git who er um eats from bins"

your an :o a living endorsement ;)

• Advertisement

If this did go to court, (obviously, no chance) the prosecution and defence lawyers are certainly to be found here.

God, this thread is like a fecking scab

To think this could've been kept in the Liverpool thread :eek:.
    Thanks PHB :);)

FFS. This keeps on being said. We can play football, we can be hard tacklers, we can be tough, but that does not translate into 'Im going to hurt someone intentionally!'

Not the point i was making
    the 19 pages about a "reducer" in training is the point i was making:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

DeadSkin wrote: »
    To think this could've been kept in the Liverpool thread :eek:.
    Thanks PHB :);)

I wish it was, i'd never have known this even existed then!:pac:

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Jimi. You seem a bit obsessed. There is absolutely no point arguing what level of force Jamie intended to use in his tackle because none of us have a clue.

I am surprised, not obsessed. I play football regularly, and I'm seeing people here defending 'Intentionally setting out to hurt a player'. I am a contractor. If some muppet sets out to 'rough me up' and inadvertantly breaks my leg its a big bloody deal. I can take it that things can happen in a game of ball, and that comes with the territory. But some insecure coward, deciding to assault me in a tackle because its 'part of the game', or he wants to show how hard he is, is a concern. Thankfully, those opinions are in the minority. The majority who actually know football, realise that it can be played without the element of Thuggery. We have all had battles on the pitch, I have been roughed up and done things back, with regret. I'd never look back on such things with pride. I certainly wouldn't defend the act. The Carra incident pales into insignifigance IMO. My beef is with people thinking its 'part of the game', and theres nothing wrong with assaulting a fellow player as long as its disguised in the tackle. Tripe! I only entered this thread when I seen folk defend his behaviour. Thats my beef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This thead is awesome :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Have none of you ever gone out to 'do' another player for whatever reason during a game? I know I have, more than once.

I've only ever done it in retaliation to something that happened on the pitch btw, not like Carra in this instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

ha ha, Jimi just keeps saying that Carragher set out to intentionally hurt him. He just made that up himself and now thinks it's fact. I bet he hasn't read the excerpt since yesterday morning.

• Advertisement

I only entered this thread when I seen folk defend his behaviour. Thats my beef.

+1

Advertisement