Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Student Account?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

Well, which bank is offering the best deals for us students in your opinions?

Bank of Ireland is offering a nine-month interest-free travel loan and a nine-month interest-free overdraft (you have to apply). Bank of Ireland is also offering 0% APR - zero interest - on its credit card for the first six months. After the interest-free period is up, the interest jumps to 11.4% (subject to change) on all of these products.

AIB is offering a €1,500 interest-free overdraft to students (again, you have to apply). It is also offering a low 3.9% APR for 12 months on its mc² Student MasterCard credit card.

You can request an interest-free €650 overdraft from Ulster Bank and get a credit card with 0% APR for the first nine months.

National Irish Bank's Freedom account pays a 3.25% interest on any balance in your current account, and also offers 0% APR on its MasterCard for the first five months.

Permanent TSB charges a high 13.6% APR on any overdraft you take out, and 9.9% APR on credit card purchases.
    from RTÉ.ie

Which bank offers the best student account? 17 votes

Bank of Ireland
    0% 0 votes
    AIB
    29% 5 votes
    Ulster Bank
    52% 9 votes
    NIB
    17% 3 votes
    Permanent TSB
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Ulster Bank’s student account offers the best deal as far as I can see. You get €100 Cash when you open and use your Student Account with Ulster . €50 will be deposited into your account in November, and €50 in January 2009.
    You just have to make 3 transactions per month from the time you open your account, in order to qualify for this offer. (That shouldn’t be too hard?)
    There are no charges for day to day transactions - and another very attractive feature is the interest free overdraft facility. All students can get an nterest free overdraft of up to €650 (APR 0%) on request on account opening.
    After that students can apply for additional interest free overdrafts (APR 0%), of up to €1,750 in year 1 , Year 2- €1,950, Year 3 - €2,250, Year 4 - €2,500, Year 5 - 2,800.

from www.moneyguideireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

These offers are all so sensible! I remember the days when they used to give us free phones and sweets and travelsave stamps lol

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

First year students get free flights with BOI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

Ulster Bank also offers student loans and student professional loans (Trainne Accountants included) with a 10.6% APR. With the professional loan the APR can decrease because they consider your income. However, I applied for a student professional loanover a week ago and still haven't gotten a response, and I have contacted them. They offer your typical student loan to cover school, accomadation and the such, as well as €2000 travel loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Also, UB give you a Gamestop voucher for the lads and a free makeup session in BT for the Girls also a lovely bright green gym bag thingy a can of club orange and a packet of meanies and a pen...... Plus discounts of up to 40% off in Carphone warehouse.

• Advertisement

Ulster Bank also offers student loans and student professional loans (Trainne Accountants included) with a 10.6% APR. With the professional loan the APR can decrease because they consider your income. However, I applied for a student professional loanover a week ago and still haven't gotten a response, and I have contacted them. They offer your typical student loan to cover school, accomadation and the such, as well as €2000 travel loan.

Should not take that long to find out. Unless you needed a parent on the loan with you? Give the Student Officer a call and ask what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

Also, UB give you a Gamestop voucher for the lads . . .

I want a Gamestop voucher. Why just the lads? Who cares about a stupid free makeup session . . . I want games!
    Should not take that long to find out. Unless you needed a parent on the loan with you? Give the Student Officer a call and ask what the story is.

Well, I shouldn't need a co-signer considering I am working for a Big 4 as a trainee and they have all that info including salary. Also, my pay is directly deposited into this account. It's crazy.

UPDATE: Well, I rang and they said I got denied because of insufficient income,but whatever. I got the max overdraft and that is interest free! I'll just be using that a lot for the first couple months of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

AIB offer a lot more than what you have up there. (I also think the other banks are offering more than you give them credit for). It's best to check out their websites for their full details.

AIB's Student Offering
    BOI's Student Offering
    etc.

Can't be bothered looking up the others:D

I would also consider several other important points when choosing a student bank:

• Location. If their is a branch on or near the campus (preferably an actual student branch), it will make life a lot easier for when you have to go to the bank. Also, the staff will be used to students etc, so would be more in tune with student needs limitations)
    • General banking (Online banking, mobile topups, numerous ATMs etc)
    • Post Student banking. As much as you may think you will move banks willy nilly, most people don't bother unless they have a big problem with their bank. There is also the fact that a bank you have been dealing with (successfully) for a long time will be more enthusiastic about granting large loans/mortgages/credit cards etc. Therefore, take into consideration what the bank will do for you in 5-10 years etc.
    • Where your parents bank. Very handy if they're in the same bank should you need them to go guarantor on any loans etc.

There's a lot more to consider than the treats you get in the first few months etc!

I want a Gamestop voucher. Why just the lads? Who cares about a stupid free makeup session . . . I want games!

You can chose which one you want sorry...:o

Advertisement