Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Botched Road Works

Options
  • 03-09-2008 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Sent an email to the county council some time back about quality of the road works on a certain section of road within a town. didnt get much satisfaction thou got the same bulls*it reply "they will review the matter in due course" :mad:

Now the work was carried out by contractors working for the council, the purpose was to lay water mains and for dranage works and they cut channels parallel and perpenduclar down sections of the road to faciliate the works, they then badly repaired the road once they finished. Within a couple of weeks the repaired sections sank and caused a rut on certain parts of the road, in addition potholes appeared on some of the repaired sections. If you actually drive into some of the parallels rut it compromises the drivers control of the car.

I Have seen this in many areas such as outside new housing developments when the road was cut for the water mains and they just threw some tar over it. With rain and passing traffic it obviously opens and thus a major pothole. Is there any way of actually getting the county councils to ensure that the road are repaired to the same standard or better once the road works are completed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Welcome to Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Dont think of them as ruts or potholes, think of them as unoffical speed reduction devices......

To answer your question is there a way to get them to ensure the roads are repaired correctly? Hmmm unless you want to do it yourself not a lot can be done. The classic thing is when they do redo a road and get it perfect within a month someone will be along to rip it up and not repair it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have sent numerous mails to the CC over contractors coming in and ripping up the road and covering it in with seriously sub-standard work. In one case less than a week after they had resurfaced the road.

I asked was there any sort of inspection as to whether the contractors had left the road in a fit state or not.

basic response was - they couldn't give a flying f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I asked was there any sort of inspection as to whether the contractors had left the road in a fit state or not.

Not sure if it is correct or not but I heard the contractors have to pay the council a bond which they keep until inspection of the patched road. This would mean contractors are not bothered with the repairs & just leave the council keep the bond. The Council just put the bond into their back pocket as extra revenue.

:confused:

Advertisement