Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Shootin Club (Bisley)

Options
  • 02-09-2008 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Looked at the nrai website and found this, Irish Rifle Club bisley.
    Was this club once the Dublin shooting club. Very little info about the
    Dublin shooting club on the web, where was the range and did they move to england after independence, can you see displayed any of the rifles they used also no joy with the Irish club in bisley anyone have a link for them. thanks. http://www.nrai.ie/news.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

I dont know if they are still around as a club, there was some sort of problem over their claim, re read below.

Sikamick

From the NRAI web site.

ICFRA News
    Irish rifle Club (Bisley) application to join I.C.F.R.A

In August 2007 the IRC (Bisley) had their application to join ICFRA denied. In the same month they appealed the decision and were unsucessful. Only recently the IRC (B) appealed the appeal committee. To date IRC(B) are denied membership to ICFRA to represent both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland in FClass, Target Rifle and Match Rifle.

The National governing body for Northern Ireland in these disciplines within ICFRA are the Shooting Federation of Northern ireland.

The National governing body for the Republic of Ireland in these disciplines within ICFRA are the National Rifle Association of Ireland (NRAI)

Members of the IRC(B) are most welcome to join the NRAI and anyone else who can qualify to represent the R.O.I are also welcome to join.

Sizemore wrote: »
    Looked at the nrai website and found this, Irish Rifle Club bisley.
    Was this club once the Dublin shooting club. Very little info about the
    Dublin shooting club on the web, where was the range and did they move to england after independence, can you see displayed any of the rifles they used also no joy with the Irish club in bisley anyone have a link for them. thanks. http://www.nrai.ie/news.html

I found some info on the Iish Rifle Club, Competition 2005 see link.

http://www.lmra.co.uk/comps2005/league.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sizemore

Sikamick wrote: »

I found some info on the Iish Rifle Club, Competition 2005 see link.

http://www.lmra.co.uk/comps2005/league.htm

thanks sikamick, Irish Rifle Club representing all of Ireland? I taught they were like London Irish in rugby just another club. Have they been told to stick it where the sun dont shine by the Irish sports "to date"

To date IRC(B) are denied membership to ICFRA to represent both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland in FClass, Target Rifle and Match Rifle.

Dublin shooting club?

Sizemore, I have got some more info on the Irish Rifle Club seemingly they were formed sometime in the 1800 hundreds during the colonial times when Ireland was under British rule.

They still claimed the right to shoot and represent all Ireland after Independence and done so up to the time that they were challenged by the NRAI at a meeting of the ICFRA.

Up to that time the Irish Rifle Club shot under the British flag for all Ireland.

As you can see they lost their claim to do this, if you look at the NRAI Web section below.

In August 2007 the IRC (Bisley) had their application to join ICFRA denied. In the same month they appealed the decision and were unsucessful. Only recently the IRC (B) appealed the appeal committee. To date IRC(B) are denied membership to ICFRA to represent both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland in FClass, Target Rifle and Match Rifle.

Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kdshooter

Sizemore, I have got some more info on the Irish Rifle Club seemingly they were formed sometime in the 1800 hundreds during the colonial times when Ireland was under British rule

Formed in 1867

They still claimed the right to shoot and represent all Ireland after Independence and done so up to the time that they were challenged by the NRAI at a meeting of the ICFRA.

Not true

Up to that time the Irish Rifle Club shot under the British flag for all Ireland.
    Totally not true - they shoot under the 4 province flag. They have NEVER shot under a British flag - thats a rumour being put around by certain people

As you can see they lost their claim to do this, if you look at the NRAI Web section below.

Not true

Not getting into any sort of argument about this - Happy to say I'm a member of IRC (amongst others) which was previously the Irish Rifle Association (but had to change name for presentational reasons).

I thought most shooting sports aspired to a 32 county representation ( I thought SSAI wanted 32 county?) Thats what IRC is and has been since 1867.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The SSAI didn't want 32 county status (or at least never mentioned it). The NTSA had selection rights for an Irish Olympic team from the 32 counties (same as the IRFU has for rugby teams); the SSAI was always a 26-county body.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Kdshooter, I googled the Irish Rifle Club, not much came up but suffice to say that it was all British related and going way back when…...

The Irish Rifle Club seems to be a shooting club registered in Bisley UK and seems to be based permanently in the UK.

All the contact details for this club are British, with British addresses and British telephone numbers. It’s also registered in this years British Shooting Club Directory on page 51. The website for this British shooting club directory is, of course it’s British, at www.shootingclubdirectory.co.uk

I wonder who the principle officers are of the Irish Rifle Club, ie, the chairperson / secretary etc and in which country they live??

Does the Irish Rifle Club raise the Irish Tricolour at their club HQ or when they are holding an event??

There doesn’t seem to be anything Irish about the Irish Rifle Club except its name.

Shooting under the four provinces flag means absolutely nothing. If you want to shoot under a flag, why not shoot under the flag of your country and be proud of it.

kdshooter, the member sizemore ask a number of question and I tried to answer after checking some information. I could be wrong and I most certainly to not want to disrespect the Irish Rifle Club so I hope you can clarify for me and others.

I looked back on your previous postings and I found that you are knowledgeable on the history of these clubs.
    QUOTE from previous posting by kdshooter: (I have records going back to the 1860s for fullbore target rifle and match rifle for all Ireland teams. Most of these are available on CD in PDF format but hopefully will be available online next year.

I also have the Palma Match records in book format - available from the author . Visit http://www.dcra.ca/welcome.htm
    for details of how to get one although they are very pricy.

The Commonwealth Games records are all online at the CGF site

http://www.commonwealthgames.com/

Ireland is still a pretty big noise internationally in Target Rifle and Match Rifle winning the National Match (TR) in 2002 and the Elcho (MR) in 2005.

Hope that helps

When was The Irish Rifle Club/The Irish Rifle Association formed and in what country.

(Your Quote : they shoot under the 4 province flag. They have NEVER shot under a British flag.)

In what competitions/country did they shoot under the four province flag. One would imagine if any of the competitions were outside Ireland they would have to shoot under their National Flag.

(Your Quote : Ireland is still a pretty big noise internationally in Target Rifle and Match Rifle winning the National Match (TR) in 2002 and the Elcho (MR) in 2005.)

What clubs shot in the above and under what flag and where were the competitions held.

(Your Quote :I thought most shooting sports aspired to a 32 county representation ( I thought SSAI wanted 32 county?)

Thats what IRC is and has been since 1867.[/QUOTE]Up to what date under what flag.

I would like to know if the SSAI would agree with your statment. Where are the NGB'S from that sit on the SSAI.

Sikamick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement