Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Photography for Beginners - This Has To Be a Joke?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

http://cgi.ebay.ie/WEDDING-PHOTOGRAPHY-FOR-BEGINNERS-INCLUDES-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ220274291059QQihZ012QQcategoryZ712QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This guy has to be taking the michael?

One person asked if it was a joke and this is the response

"One of these point and shoot cameras has a Carl Zeiss Tessar lens - you can't get better than that. The others have lenese made by the manufacturer - Canon, Yashica etc, etc. Same glass and manufacturing as their more expensive big brothers. So, why can't you take wedding shots with these cameras??? Could it be that you own a $3000 Nikon with all the extras on it? And can't bear to think you paid too much?? I have 45 years experience of all types of professional photography behind me and if I can't take good quality pictures with a point and shoot camera, then there is something wrong with me not the camera. I have often been asked, "if I buy a Nikon or Canon would I be able to take photos as good as you?" I always answer, "if you were to buy the same paint brushes as Leonardo de Vinci used, would you be as good a painter as he was?" Its not the gun that kills people, its people who kill people. Likewise its not the camera that takes good photos, its people who take good photos. Moralising is not what I do normally, but your stupid question warranted this outburst. Next time, try first, speak later. Good shooting."

Have a look!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

For anything concerning wedding photography, learn from the master.

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I'm off to order a dome diffuser NOW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

bovril wrote: »
    I'm off to order a dome diffuser NOW.

Make sure you order the extra bits and pieces so you can get the stained glass windows effects..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

What a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

DerekPye - I gotta get my hands on a dome, just gotta have one.

ADVERTISMENT

Wedding photography done with real St. Peters Dome effect for your background. Contact 087 xxxxxxxx

Do yis think this will work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really think what that guy with his wedding course is a disgrace, and I think all the board members should bombard his ebay mail account and tell him so.

I left the message below.

This is truly one of the worst items I've ever seen on E-bay.
    Firstly your camera is rubbish. It's film, not digital which is antiquated.
    Also, turning up on a couples big day with your P&S would not look very professional nor would it inspire the couple to relax and give you good shots. There will be guests at the wedding who will get better pictures than you.

An D-SLR is a basic requirement for any photoshoot. It offers you a better quality picture, more possiblilties in different light and options to use different lenses, wide angles for church and crowd shots. Close ups for portraits etc.
    An external flash is also required for dull days and indoor shots.
    I know that equipment is not everything to get a good picture and that a creativity of the camera holder is more important than the bells and whistles of a modern camera, but what you are 'offering' can only be considered as a dishonest scam and should be removed from E-bay.

I truly hope that you sell none!

Maybe if more people send him messages then he might stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

While I would in general agree that using a point and shoot is perhaps not very professional for a professional gig, I would point out that some wedding photographers actually still use medium format. And I can't blame them for that. You get something out of film - still - that DSLRs don't capture.

Also, as mod I am asking that you do not all en masse decide to lead a boards.ie/photography campaign against an Ebay seller. I'm not fully au fait with how Ebay operates but presumably they have a complaints procedure that could be followed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Calina wrote: »
    While I would in general agree that using a point and shoot is perhaps not very professional for a professional gig, I would point out that some wedding photographers actually still use medium format. And I can't blame them for that. You get something out of film - still - that DSLRs don't capture.
    I think people here aren't complaining about Film they are complaining about the low quaility P & S film camera that the seller is supplying,
    It looks to me that the seller has dug out alot of his old film cameras and decided to flog em' to newbies

Calina wrote: »

Also, as mod I am asking that you do not all en masse decide to lead a boards.ie/photography campaign against an Ebay seller. I'm not fully au fait with how Ebay operates but presumably they have a complaints procedure that could be followed?

Well I wasn't criticising Medium format, just stating that an SLR would be the standard. His P&S offering, in digital or film format is truly awful and is clearly not suitable for wedding photography.

As for your point about e-mailing the seller. I don't see how people sending him an e-mail through their E-Bay account could warrant him to make a complaint that E-bay would follow up. This would also be completely unconnected to this site.

The guy is a scam artist and he should be told so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

murpho999 wrote: »
    As for your point about e-mailing the seller. I don't see how people sending him an e-mail through their E-Bay account could warrant him to make a complaint that E-bay would follow up. This would also be completely unconnected to this site.

The guy is a scam artist and he should be told so.

At the end of the day the guy is selling something for a price. It's not up to members of boards to act as watch dogs. E-bay have security and fraud functions that can be followed if you so desire.

Neither is Boards.ie the right place to publicly mention such a thing, or taking such an action. We are not a rallying point for the consumer rights inclined.

It's about that simple.

Dragan wrote: »
    At the end of the day the guy is selling something for a price. It's not up to members of boards to act as watch dogs. E-bay have security and fraud functions that can be followed if you so desire.

Neither is Boards.ie the right place to publicly mention such a thing, or taking such an action. We are not a rallying point for the consumer rights inclined.

It's about that simple.

Sorry, and I'm not looking for a row here, but I have to disagree with this.

I'm not asking members to become watch-dogs.
    I'm merely making the suggestion that if people feel as strongly,about what that guy is doing, as I do then people should contact the guy through their own Ebay account.

It is a suggestion that people can follow up on or not. If they do follow up on it then it will have no impact on Boards.ie at all.

I don't see this in any way different as to how people on this board suggest buying products or not from certain sites or shops or people recommending different photography products which happens all the time despite this board not being set up as an advertising board.

Anyhow, end of my rant as I'm obviously not going to win this one with two mods against me!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Buy a Dome Diffuser instead.. you know you want one. :D;):P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Anyhow, end of my rant as I'm obviously not going to win this one with two mods against me!:)

Double Teamed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

I don't see this in any way different as to how people on this board suggest buying products or not from certain sites or shops

Exactly. Have you ever seen the amount of times Conns shop is slated here? I'm not from dublin, I've never been to conns, but from reading these boards I know exactly what to expect if I ever visit the shop.

Their slogan should be

Conns: It's all in the name.

What this guy is doing on ebay is basically a scam. Some old 75 year old codger is going to believe everything the auction says and waste his time and money on it.

Imagine the old man conjuring up happy dreams earning money from being a professional wedding photographer with this measly little kit.

Old 75 year old Paddy presses the buy it now button. Wow! His first ever ebay win!!!

A week later he has new & shiny crappy camera in his hand, 5-page "Professional Wedding photos" ebay booklet hanging out of his blazer pocket. He goes to the local church where the O' Riordans are just about to tie the knot.

He enters the church and starts snapping away, only for the cheap camera to actually fall in half in his hands and shatter onto the floor. A middle aged man asks him to leave as he is disturbing the ceremony.

"But can I just get my camer..."

"JUST GET OUT YOU OLD CODGER"

The old man is ushered out to the church gates, as it starts to rain.

"Mary would be so ashamed", he thinks to himself as he walks home, alone. "I wish she was alive".

The old man spirals down into a bout of endless depression. His dreams, hopes... gone. All because of this CRAPPY CAMERA EBAY SCAM.

Do you want this to happen?

This ebay dude should be punished, I feel sorry for that old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

0utpost31 wrote: »
    Exactly. Have you ever seen the amount of times Conns shop is slated here? I'm not from dublin, I've never been to conns, but from reading these boards I know exactly what to expect if I ever visit the shop.

Their slogan should be

Conns: It's all in the name.

What this guy is doing on ebay is basically a scam. Some old 75 year old codger is going to believe everything the auction says and waste his time and money on it.

Imagine the old man conjuring up happy dreams earning money from being a professional wedding photographer with this measly little kit.

Old 75 year old Paddy presses the buy it now button. Wow! His first ever ebay win!!!

A week later he has new & shiny crappy camera in his hand, 5-page "Professional Wedding photos" ebay booklet hanging out of his blazer pocket. He goes to the local church where the O' Riordans are just about to tie the knot.

He enters the church and starts snapping away, only for the cheap camera to actually fall in half in his hands and shatter onto the floor. A middle aged man asks him to leave as he is disturbing the ceremony.

"But can I just get my camer..."

"JUST GET OUT YOU OLD CODGER"

The old man is ushered out to the church gates, as it starts to rain.

"Mary would be so ashamed", he thinks to himself as he walks home, alone. "I wish she was alive".

The old man spirals down into a bout of endless depression. His dreams, hopes... gone. All because of this CRAPPY CAMERA EBAY SCAM.

Great story. Btw Conns are pretty great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Sorry, and I'm not looking for a row here, but I have to disagree with this.

I'm not asking members to become watch-dogs.
    I'm merely making the suggestion that if people feel as strongly,about what that guy is doing, as I do then people should contact the guy through their own Ebay account.

It is a suggestion that people can follow up on or not. If they do follow up on it then it will have no impact on Boards.ie at all.

I don't see this in any way different as to how people on this board suggest buying products or not from certain sites or shops or people recommending different photography products which happens all the time despite this board not being set up as an advertising board.

if anyone is stupid enough to buy this then that is their fault.
    If someone bought then then tough. Same as if people bought a 'learn how to become a millionaire in 12 easy steps' book, if someone wants to scam a greedy money grabbing so and so, then no sympathy at all from me.
    this deal is about making money, rather than photography.

I don't feel sorry for old man trying to rip people off.
    Replace crappy ebay camera with canon 1Ds mark III from reputable store, he still has no clue about wedding shots, and is trying to make a quick buck off someone else
    not the seller's fault the buyer is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

hussey wrote: »
    Same as if people bought a 'learn how to become a millionaire in 12 easy steps' book.

****, I'm at step 11, are you telling me this is bogus? NO!!!!!! NOT AGAIN!!!!! This is like the time I wanted to do karate and bought a karate suit and then hated karate and threw the karate suit in my closet! IT'S STILL THERE!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

TelePaul wrote: »
    ****, I'm at step 11, are you telling me this is bogus? NO!!!!!! NOT AGAIN!!!!! This is like the time I wanted to do karate and bought a karate suit and then hated karate and threw the karate suit in my closet! IT'S STILL THERE!

:rolleyes: to learn karate you don't need a fancy suit, you need to
    Paint the house
    wash the car
    catch flies with chopsticks
    Oh and it helps if you have 80's montage music also

well so it said in a documentary I seen about a karate kid
    I think it was called "the kid who learns karate"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I willing to be money that poor 75 year old Paddy is a bit more savvy. He has net access, is e-bay savvy and he also has either a credit card or a pay pal account.

Fair play to him, i don't think he's falling for this one.

As i said, take it to e-bay.

Have you ever seen a thread telling people they should walk into any camera shop and tell them they do not agree with the prices? Your not recommending people not to buy, you telling them to contact the vender. Big difference.

Now then, i will re-iterate a few general rules.

1) Don't argue with a Mod in thread.
    2) If you have an issue with anything a Mod says or does as a Moderator then PM that Mod.

These are basic sitewide rules and i should have to be saying them again.

Thread closed.

Dragan
    Forum Moderator

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement