Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Curbishley Gone

• 03-09-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

SSN says Curbs has settled a deal to walk away from Upton Park. (mind you, wouldn't be the first time that the called one of these wrong.)

Looks very similar to the problems KK is experiencing, saying that the McCartney transfer was the last straw, and that transfer dealings were being conducted behind his back.

LOL, just as well you didn't plonk that money down on KK being first out Mike65.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

na na na na hey hey hey goodbye imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Curbz 2 Newky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

West Ham is a club i used to like, but over the past 2 or so years i've grown to really dislike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rolfes, another club with flakey ownership issues.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Stupid F*CKING board. I knew this was comming selling players behind his back. I was behind curbs 100% and we got best start in 9 years and wa slooking forward to rest of season. I hope keegan doesnt leave newcastle now as they would prob want him which would be a disaster. Please get billic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Des wrote: »
    Curbz 2 Newky?

What, for a piss up in the Bigg Market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

hold on, it's only SSN "reporting" it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

west ham just behind newcastle in the league of appallingly run clubs, liverpool just behind

bilic to take over?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

hold on, it's only SSN "reporting" it

Curbishley quits as West Ham boss

Alan Curbishley has resigned as manager of Premier League club West Ham United.
    Full story to follow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/7596106.stm

I don't know about Bilic, I reckon he'd love to do England again.

• Advertisement

The bookies will save a fortune on this I'd say. KK would have been heavily backed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

'Arry to make a triumphant return to his spiritual home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Deadly, were doing one of these threads every day now are we??

I'll do tomorrows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Curbishley quits as West Ham boss

Alan Curbishley has resigned as manager of Premier League club West Ham United.
    Full story to follow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/7596106.stm

that's better :)

Curbz 2 Newky?

doubt it as the interference from board ooop north is just as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

FFS....board are ****. Newc and WHU should start their own bloody soap opera.

Just after a pretty decent start to the season as well...****!

Just saw the statement on the WHU site before hearing Curbs had walked...talk about covering their ass before announcing officially Curbs is gone.

Never a ****ing dull moment supporting the (less) mighty Hammers!

I think some bookies paid out on KK yesterday afternoon.

Mike.

BG better not make Nani the manager...but he probably will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Ludicrous to sack a manager a couple of games into the season. Who are they going to replace him with? I can't think of any outstanding candidates at the moment.

EDIT:

Hadn't heard about the Newcastle situation but just saw it there now on sportinglife. They really are a joke of a club. It'll get to the stage where they'll have no chance of ever attracting a top class manager as it is fast becoming a poisoned chalice.

Bilic? Dunno if he would want anything to do with it.

Allardyce? hmmmm

It's gonna be Nani though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Alan Curbishley to Newcastle maybe

West ham were never going to get an OUTSTANDING manager, frankly.

Mike

Who's Nani?

redknap or billic is what i want but that would be me dreaming.

The board are bunch of money grabbing c*nts. Wheres the 40mil they said will be used for transfers 2 years ago. Weha ve sold mc cartney, ferdinand and brought in 2 loan players which are unknown to 99% premiership fans. mugs

Can't see a maverick like Bilic, or 'Arry, walking into a job where it is clear they won't be the ones calling all the shots. That goes for both WH and NUFC.

Nani is the guy BG brought in to find players for WHU to buy...equivalent of Wise at Newc.

Who's Nani?

large_thrill.jpg

Who's Nani?

technical director. he would be useless as manager. hes not much better than board supposidly knowing all italy's best players and I have not seen one good player sign since he joined besides behrami

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's very bad news, considering the recent investment in the club. Was there filming at Upton Park when he got the position, nice man. Did an amazing job at Charlton Ath, albeit with not a lot of backroom interference. Took their chances well against Blackburn at the weekend. He was against the selling of Anton Ferdinand I believe. Who ever comes in will be inheriting a very good squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

'Arry to make a triumphant return to his spiritual home?

i doubt it, he's got a good thing going at pompey where he's backed and repescted and the board aren't (so far) a bunch of jackals buying and selling players behind his back, plus he's getting on a bit and would probably like to spend his last few seasons with an established team, that he built, in the splendour of the south coast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'd love West Ham to get relegated. They're a club i used to like, but the way they have treated Curbishly and the way the fans have treated Curbishly has been appalling.

It could be tough getting a manager in who is anyway competent at all. No one will want to put up with the **** that Curbs had to take from the board.

And then there is the issue of the Tevez affair still hanging over the club. If the rumours are true (which I seriously doubt) then WHU is going to be in big big trouble and no manager will want to be part of it.

I for one would love to see Harry back but that just ain't going to happen.

What on earth possessed me to start following this team? They drive me insane :mad:

First odds on mew WHU manager:

S Bilic 5 - 4
    H Redknapp 7 - 1
    R Mancini 11 - 1
    F Rijkaard 11 - 1
    D Deschamps 14 - 1
    S Allardyce 16 - 1
    K Keegan 16 - 1
    G Poyet 20 - 1
    R Gullit 20 - 1
    G Houllier 20 - 1
    D Moyes 28 - 1
    G Strachan 28 - 1
    C Ranieri 33 - 1
    W Smith 33 - 1
    T Venables 33 - 1
    S McClaren 33 - 1
    Roy Keane 33 - 1
    SG Eriksson 33 - 1
    D Wise 33 - 1
    M Laudrup 33 - 1
    S Pearce 33 - 1
    C Coleman 40 - 1
    D O'Leary 40 - 1
    J Toshack 50 - 1
    A Shearer 20 - 1
    P Ince 50 - 1

:rolleyes:

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'd love West Ham to get relegated. They're a club i used to like, but the way they have treated Curbishly and the way the fans have treated Curbishly has been appalling.

I dont know where u came up with the fans treating curbs bad. 90% fans are behind him. What we are not behind is the stupid board running the club

DrMorphine wrote: »
    I dont know where u came up with the fans treating curbs bad. 90% fans are behind him. What we are not behind is the stupid board running the team

Well, what's with all the Curbishly Out chant's and the abuse he gets at home games??

• Advertisement

What games you going to? Its like fans that think we can be a CL club chanting that. When we boo we boo the teams performance which can be dire at times. Curbs has done very good with the resources he has and if you ask any supporter that isnt dreaming you will see that. I hope the best for him and can tell you what ever club gets him if any will be very lucky

What games you going to? Its like fans that think we can be a CL club chanting that. When we boo we boo the teams performance which can be dire at times. Curbs has done very good with the resources he has and if you ask any supporter that isnt dreaming you will see that. I hope the best for him and can tell you what ever club gets him if any will be very lucky

LONDON (AFP) — Alan Curbishley admitted he was a relieved man after West Ham's 4-1 win over Blackburn eased the pressure on the Hammers manager.
    Curbishley has suffered increasingly vociferous abuse from his own supporters after an erratic start to the campaign. Reports that he had to start winning quickly to save his job only added to the tension around Upton Park.
    But Saturday's rout of Rovers lifts the club to their best start in nine years and Curbishley hopes to build on the success.
    "It has been a difficult week," he admitted. "That is down to the defeat at Manchester City, not just the League Cup performance against Macclesfield. I've not heard of fans having a go at a manager after two games before."

I agree with that. I think he's done a great job. But all i've heard the past year is about him getting abuse and the fans wanting him out. Now, if you go to the games and think better, than fair enough. I don't go to West Ham. Maybe it's all media stirring.
    But it's what's been said for nearly a year, reading match reports and they lose, it's all about the fans anger at Curbs. Even last week's match in the league cup, was he not being abused?
    What to these fans expect from West Ham? Title challenges??

jaykay74 wrote: »
    LONDON (AFP) — Alan Curbishley admitted he was a relieved man after West Ham's 4-1 win over Blackburn eased the pressure on the Hammers manager.
    Curbishley has suffered increasingly vociferous abuse from his own supporters after an erratic start to the campaign. Reports that he had to start winning quickly to save his job only added to the tension around Upton Park.
    But Saturday's rout of Rovers lifts the club to their best start in nine years and Curbishley hopes to build on the success.
    "It has been a difficult week," he admitted. "That is down to the defeat at Manchester City, not just the League Cup performance against Macclesfield. I've not heard of fans having a go at a manager after two games before."

The 10000 fans at the macclefield match?haha. Curbs has done nothing wrong its the players tht dont seem to want to play for club but are just here because of the stupidly high weekly wage for some of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

My friend was at the cup game last week (WHam fan btw) and he said there was a large portion of fans booing Curbs. Esp at half time.

From what he told me, Curbs has been getting a lot of stick from some fans and it's not 10 or 20 doing the booing, but a large number of them.

Edit: Just read your above post and my mate said that they were booing and chanting for 'Curbs out', he also said the players got some stick. But it was not a case of the manager being supported while the players were abused.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    I agree with that. I think he's done a great job. But all i've heard the past year is about him getting abuse and the fans wanting him out. Now, if you go to the games and think better, than fair enough. I don't go to West Ham. Maybe it's all media stirring.
    But it's what's been said for nearly a year, reading match reports and they lose, it's all about the fans anger at Curbs. Even last week's match in the league cup, was he not being abused?
    What to these fans expect from West Ham? Title challenges??

I can assure you its those fans expecting title challenges since egg came couple years ago that are boo'ing. Most supporters dont think this. Like I said its the teams performance that make these fans say curbs out etc when he does a very good job really. Players like ljungberg for example which im glad we got rid of

A vocal minority were against Curbs due to his style of play. But even most of them have come behind him since the Anton Ferdinand and McCartney sales which completely undermined him and made it obvious who was at fault i.e. the board.

But enough feeding the trolls.

Apparently DiCanio is in London at the moment :D

Ludo wrote: »
    A vocal minority were against Curbs due to his style of play. But even most of them have come behind him since the Anton Ferdinand and McCartney sales which completely undermined him and made it obvious who was at fault i.e. the board.

I heard he got his badges and everything a few months ago and wanted to return to upton park in the future? That would be unreal!

I heard he got his badges and everything a few months ago and wanted to return to upton park in the future? That would be unreal!

It would be typical WHU...a bloody disaster waiting to happen :o

He is 16-1 for the job and Psycho is 12-1

It would be typical WHU...a bloody disaster waiting to happen :o

He is 16-1 for the job and Psycho is 12-1

I suppose I would be happy with any manager with a good play style tbh. But I doubt any manager is going to want to join a club where he has no say over transfers.

You think i'm trolling, yeah??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I was never a big fan of Curbishley, to be honest. He lacked any kind of real vision in the transfer market. Dyer is a classic example of this. I know everyone always talks about this but, honestly, what did Curbs expect from a player like him. Yes, the injury wasn't his fault but he just seems to be blighted. Curbs only seemed to bring in players that had already played (with mixed success) in the Premiership. Faubert, one of the few exceptions, looked great but then ruptures his achilles. Kind of ironic that it happened so soon after Curbs took a risk. I thought and still think that Nani might bring in some interesting players. Although we haven't made a lot of progress with the senior squad, we have brought in a load of promising youngsters from the continent. The future could be bright.

All this being said, I don't think the board have made us a very attractive club for potential managers, particularly interesting ones like Bilic.

I wonder though how much of the damage to the club was done by Eggert Magnusson. Ever since Eggie's suprise departure last year, Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson has been trying to cut back costs at the club. Freddie Ljungberg was reportedly one of the highest earners in the Premiership, for example. The wage bill, the transfer fees and the plans for a new stadium seem to have brought financial chaos to the club. It has all been very exciting, I admit, but West Ham is a business and I guess that we may have to accept that the lavish expenditure and bright promises are things of the past.

If we get Sam Allardyce in as a replacement though, I think I might actually die.

Not exactly scientific I know, but KUMB have a poll running about Curbs which started before the announcement. The outcome so far:

Alan Curbishley:

Back him
    87%

Sack him
    12%

Looks like most WHU fans were behind him after all.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    If we get Sam Allardyce in as a replacement though, I think I might actually die.

Careful now, Allardyce is touted by some on here as being a footballing guru. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Jesus....can't believe this one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement