Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PETROL VS DIESEL

Options
  • 03-09-2008 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

HEY, going to england to buy a car, just wondering to buy a diesel or a petrol bmw 320???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

diesel and pref m3:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭smokie78

m3!!?? i wish, why diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Smokie the 2 litre diesel engine (manual transmission) will only attract a VRT at the rate of 16% (Band b). The equivalent petrol will be 20% VRT of the Open market selling price. Certainly on the recent 320 engines post 2006. What year are thinking of? If the car was 2008, youd have the advantage of paying 150 euro road tax on diesel v 290 on petrol....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Brewster wrote: »
    Smokie the 2 litre diesel engine (manual transmission) will only attract a VRT at the rate of 16% (Band b). The equivalent petrol will be 20% VRT of the Open market selling price. Certainly on the recent 320 engines post 2006. What year are thinking of? If the car was 2008, youd have the advantage of paying 150 euro road tax on diesel v 290 on petrol....

A fairly tiny amount extra to pay for a 6 pot petrol!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Biro wrote: »

Which would not by any means compete with the 4 POT diesel on economy with plenty of performance thrown in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

six pots - nice - but not worth it in this case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

vectra wrote: »
    Which would not by any means compete with the 4 POT diesel on economy with plenty of performance thrown in ;)

Economy shonomy... Go for the 330i and be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Economy shonomy... Go for the 330i and be done!

Be done with what??
    all your spare cash on the petrol bills ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Which 320i is the OP interested in?

Is it the E46(previous generation i.e. 99-early 05) or the E90(current shape)?

If it's the E46, then you're comparing a clattery, boring 4 pot diesel that is notorious for turbo failure if it's a 02-04 model, versus a silky smooth 6 pot petrol that makes you enjoy driving, has superior refinement not to mention a vastly superior exhaust note, more performance and lower 0-100 km/h time.

So the 320i by a country mile if it's an E46.

If it's the E90, then what BMW did here was re-badge the previous generation 318i as a 320i, so really we're comparing a car that was considered to be a 318i in the previous model and a 320d that has gained more power and improved on mpg.

As 4 cylinders are incredibly boring, and the 320d has more power, the 320i has lost the silky smooth straight 6, and the glorious exhaust note that is part and parcel of a 6 cylinder petrol engine, not to mention 20 bhp, while the 320d has gotten more power, torque, and improved on mpg, it's the 320d that is by far the better car in the E90.

Though if I were buying an E90, I'd go for the 325i, which has a straight 6 petrol and all the advantages that go with it again:)!

Advertisement