Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free things to do

Options
  • 03-09-2008 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

I'm moving to Galway next week (whoohoo) to go to Uni. I'm just wondering are there any free fun things to do in galway both at the weekend and in the evening...and when i say free i kinda mean under a tenner. I know the cinema is available, so lets leave that out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Feed the ducks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Walk the prom.
    • Go to the pub and drink slowly.
    • Busk in the streets (no quality level required in Galway ;-)
    • Go swimming from the diving board at Blackrock.
    • Book-club (see the other thread on this boards).
    • Study (you are a student, after all).
    • Occasionally there are plays/concerts for under 10-euro, keep an eye on http://www.townhalltheatregalway.com/content/ or http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/
    • Occasionally there are free concerts - keep an eye on the notice board in St Nicholas church.

There's just a few. But really, what do you do at home ... 'tis likely that you can do all the same things here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

During the winter when it's dark, misty, bitter cold but absolutily no wind a walk on the prom and down the Docks is class, around the boats etc... There's a few pics taken online somewhere and they're amazing

Galway is a great walking city once its not raining

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Listen to trad sessions while having a cup of tea
    Go to other free gigs
    Join uni societys
    Call over to mates' houses for a DVD
    Study

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Heard there is a pitch and putt place in Renmore for under a tenner. Seems very cheap but maybe you might have to supply your own balls and clubs.

Fishing- might be over the tenner to start off but then many cheap evenings and you could spend the tenner on 6 pack.

Astro Turf football. Usually works out around a fiver each if there is 8-10 people playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

My favourite Galway things, some free... some as good as...

Saturday Market and stuffing myself full of niceties thereat, People watching outside Neachtains, Nimmo's pier, Tí Hughes An Spidéal, Spanish Arch area and feeding the swans, Quay st when it's not race week, Film Fleadh, Arts Festival, Picture of Patcheen Stephens at the train station, hanging out by the river in Woodquay in the summer, Moycullen woods in the Winter, Curry chips, great big dirty pints of Guinness in Freeneys, the banter, walking the prom in rain, hail or shine, wandering around inside St. Nic's when it's raining, walking through the college with the smell of Autumn, Thursday not being Thursday without the Advertiser, the Sentinel crossword, gigs at the Róisín, seisiúns at the Crane, pizza in Monroes, coming into Renmore on the train home from Dublin, the pubs on Christmas Eve, the people, giggling at the "Society pages", Dear Amy, In the Courts in the Advertiser, hijacking a random dog for a good run at Silver Strand, the playground on Henry St for a good auld tipsy go on the swings, any excuse to get art materials upstairs in Powells and the chance to remember arts and crafts projects in school with lollipops and those giant chubby crayons, doing the crossword upstairs in the new museum whilst looking out over Nimmos restaurant... The list goes on...

Mmm maybe this is more reasons why Galwegians love Galway but in any event there are some to do's for ya...

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

Spanish Arch.....serious hours spent bumming about down there.

Also weeknights in town (as long as you live near town) they can cheap.Drink in spanish arch before goin out, free in to the clubs, walk home.

Theres always something cheap going on

Salsa classes in bar903 for 3 euro or something like that

walking the prom

eyre square-people watching

gym

swimming in the river/blackrock

bowling/karting etc

college bar-loads of concerts held there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Plus you guys have lots of student organizations in University, I know there's climbing club and few others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

biko wrote: »
    Study

Square!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

My sister doesn't drink, so she'll spend the eve in a pub listening to music and what not and not even spend near a tenner. Sadly, I make up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

tristanc wrote: »
    My sister doesn't drink, so she'll spend the eve in a pub listening to music and what not and not even spend near a tenner. Sadly, I make up for it.

Whats sad about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tristan drinks enough for two people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Dear Amy, In the Courts in the Advertiser,

are those still in the advertiser? Always killed a bit of time reading those.

Walk the prom, sit at the arch, umm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

If you're going out you can get a stamp in Shop Street that'll get into most of the nightclubs for free/pretty cheap. Then buy a nagan and skull it before trying to get past the bouncers.

That is of course unless you're not a knacker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

ChiefBrody wrote: »
    That is of course unless you're not a knacker...

Knackers / Students, Whats de difference really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

biko wrote: »
    Tristan drinks enough for two people :D

That's why he came to Ireland, where everyone drinks enough for 2 people.

Oh also assuming you're moving to galway as a student make sure you get a card for gpo and cuba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

chrussell wrote: »
    Knackers / Students, Whats de difference really?

knackers have better clothes tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

If you're a student in Galway there'll be plenty of free things to do.

Did you know that Nui galway has the biggest free cinema in Ireland? Ok, they mightn't show what's on in the cinema, but they generally have very good taste and there are three free movies showing a week (and the odd free pizza to go with it)

There are plenty of other free things to do, many societies meet during the week and have free events. Check out Artsoc, Nothin Specific soc, Lit and Deb (if you're into debates) and whatever other societies you're interested in.

Advertisement