Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newfoundland Breeders........

Options
  • 03-09-2008 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Does anyone know of Breeders of Newfoundland’s in Muster Area preferable Limerick/Cork? My DH was 101 books read about these kind of dogs and now we would have the space for one… Just wanting to make the enquiry…:P:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Check the Kennel Club's website, they have contact details for all the breed associations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

To find a reputable breeder contact the breed secretary. Of course you'd also need to visit the premises yourself to make sure everything was perfect.
    you should also check out the re-homing websites in case one comes into rescue that you could adopt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gilliewillie

We spent the bones of a year researching before we got our Newfie. We went to various dog shows and we met with Alison McVea of the Newfoundland Club of Ireland. By happy accident I met Olivia and Killian who were just starting to breed in Clonakilty (www.bohonabears.com). We went to visit them when their Cassie had pups and we fell in love. Despite the fact that our new house in the country wasn't yet ready we had to have our Newf, Kima. Olivia and Killian fostered Kima for 2 months until our house was ready. We visited at weekends so that she could get used to us. Olivia and Killian are Newf lovers and it is really obvious when you meet them.

We adore our dog (15mths), she is so well behaved & so affectionate. Everything that people say about Newfs is true. My mother and my sister-in-law were both very afraid of dogs, and now they are Kima's biggest fans. Yesterday, a friend called to visit and was happy to leave his 10 month old baby girl crawl around the floor and play with the dog (under supervision, of course!)

We are definitely going to get another Bohona Bear. We were going to try and wait a year or two to space out the age of the dogs, but we are already getting itchy for a second one.

Food-wise, I spend approx. €100 a month. I buy Royal Canin Giant Breed and some pigs ears etc. as treats. I occasionally feed her a tin of tuna for variety, and for some reason she love cucumbers. Insurance with Allianz aorks out at €19 per month

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

We spent the bones of a year researching before we got our Newfie. We went to various dog shows and we met with Alison McVea of the Newfoundland Club of Ireland. By happy accident I met Olivia and Killian who were just starting to breed in Clonakilty (www.bohonabears.com). We went to visit them when their Cassie had pups and we fell in love. Despite the fact that our new house in the country wasn't yet ready we had to have our Newf, Kima. Olivia and Killian fostered Kima for 2 months until our house was ready. We visited at weekends so that she could get used to us. Olivia and Killian are Newf lovers and it is really obvious when you meet them.

We adore our dog (15mths), she is so well behaved & so affectionate. Everything that people say about Newfs is true. My mother and my sister-in-law were both very afraid of dogs, and now they are Kima's biggest fans. Yesterday, a friend called to visit and was happy to leave his 10 month old baby girl crawl around the floor and play with the dog (under supervision, of course!)

We are definitely going to get another Bohona Bear. We were going to try and wait a year or two to space out the age of the dogs, but we are already getting itchy for a second one.

Food-wise, I spend approx. €100 a month. I buy Royal Canin Giant Breed and some pigs ears etc. as treats. I occasionally feed her a tin of tuna for variety, and for some reason she love cucumbers. Insurance with Allianz aorks out at €19 per month

Hope this helps.

hi

we have Kimas (think i've a pic or two of kima somewhere) brother Charlie and would highly recommend Bohonabears also. Charlie is fantastic an absolute devil always messing and up to no good but a heart of gold hes an incredible sweety and we love him to bits. I'm sure you already know this anyway but these dogs are a big responsibility and a huge amount of work, financially demanding also between, vets, insurance (essential can't stress enough), food, toys, touch up paint for the walls!! Worth the time, effort and cost though, hes a comedian who has us laughing constantly

IMG_2559.jpg

yes that is drool

IMG_2791.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Skillie, that second picture in brilliant :D

Would love a Newfie. Amazing breed. They're on my "when we have a big house in the country" list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

hey does anyone know any newfie breeders in the leinster area

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

There is a lady in Mullingar who breeds and gives advice. She sometimes advertises her services on donedeal, not selling pups just offering advice.

Her dogs are exceptional quality and have all health checks

thanks, dont suppose you know her name or contact details

snip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

We bought a newfi 2 weeks ago from a breeder in Westmeath. Trouble from day one -puppy was ill and we didnt realise it until nearly too late. Puppy was with us 1 week when he displayed worrying symptoms and has been in the vets since the weekend with an infection that was present before purchase!!!! Insurance stand down period still in effect so no joy there and a mighty hefty bill issued. Has anyone bought a newfi recently in this area and could you pm me. Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

hi, i know of a breeder in the waterford area if anyone interested, just had pups, will be microchipped and ikc registered.
    only know of them cause i live near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

triskell wrote: »
    We bought a newfi 2 weeks ago from a breeder in Westmeath. Trouble from day one -puppy was ill and we didnt realise it until nearly too late. Puppy was with us 1 week when he displayed worrying symptoms and has been in the vets since the weekend with an infection that was present before purchase!!!! Insurance stand down period still in effect so no joy there and a mighty hefty bill issued. Has anyone bought a newfi recently in this area and could you pm me. Thanks all[/QUOT

Sorry to hear about your pup. How was the pup when you collected it from the breeder? What were the conditions like and where did you find the breeder? Did they come recommended by anyone?

I would contact them and tell them whats going on in case there are other pups in the litter that are sick too.

If the pup was sick when you got it why did you take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

is your dog ok now? had he had all vaccinations etc when you got him?
    i'd def let them know whats after happening, they could inform the owners of the other puppies in case they got sick.

triskell wrote: »
    We bought a newfi 2 weeks ago from a breeder in Westmeath. Trouble from day one -puppy was ill and we didnt realise it until nearly too late. Puppy was with us 1 week when he displayed worrying symptoms and has been in the vets since the weekend with an infection that was present before purchase!!!! Insurance stand down period still in effect so no joy there and a mighty hefty bill issued. Has anyone bought a newfi recently in this area and could you pm me. Thanks all

There is a very good breeder near mulllingar who gives good advice on keeping newfoundlands and will not sell a pup to everyone who looks for one, she amy be able to help
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/769648

good luck

triskell thats awful as said earlier you should definately contact the breeder, my pup is 2 weeks old today im getting him in england and cant wait to go over and see him, the breeder im dealing with informed me that if there was ever a problem no matter what time of the day or night that i was to ring him so you should do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The person who kindly transported our two dogs to the vet for spaying had a Newfie with her.. Wonderful creature; I said it is not a dog but a bear.

That is the only time I have seen our bumptious wee dog outfaced; she ran to challenge the intruder then realised the sheer size..and stood there just staring up at the gentle giant

Costs alone would preclude one here.

Advertisement