Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Non OEM GPS system install.

• 03-09-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a kit you can get to install the GPS system a bit better than just hanging it out of the windscreen?

I would like to be able to leave it in the car too - so it would have to look like it couldn't be ripped out easy.

thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a kit you can get to install the GPS system a bit better than just hanging it out of the windscreen?

I would like to be able to leave it in the car too - so it would have to look like it couldn't be ripped out easy.

thanks
    Rob

I've had a few kits hard-wired in to the cars electrics, but they still use the mounting cradle on the windscreen or dash for the screen.

What's it going in to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,153 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thanks
    Rob

depends on the car, you can get double din headunits etc that will act as sat navs, pricey tho and so is the install

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You can probably also get single DIN pop-out ones, but they might look a little "halfords"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

google for eonon - they make single and double din units, are cheap and there are loads on ebay - i've heard of some people have reliability problems though

after that you're looking at a brand name - pioneer do both types - they should be ultra reliable but dont have the features and cost about three times as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,449 ✭✭✭✭Esel

... it would have to look like it couldn't be ripped out easy.
    I wouldn't like to depend on a potential thief saying to himself 'Nah, that looks like it might be a bit hard to rip out...'.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

OH - I get you yea - like an non OEM stereo with a GPS system ?

I was thinking about rehousing my Garmin NUvi in an E90 BMW somehow. Preferably without cutting anything.

Basically a new mount for it other than the window hanger.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,431 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

OH - I get you yea - like an non OEM stereo with a GPS system ?

I was thinking about rehousing my Garmin NUvi in an E90 BMW somehow. Preferably without cutting anything.

Basically a new mount for it other than the window hanger.

I dont think you will manage it nicely. I have one of those nuvi's and the finish matches my audi A5 exactly but I cannot figure out an acceptable way of fitting it in the car so it lives in the arm rest. Could a non oem double head unit be fitted to your car? If so, its your best bet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

by the way, what car have you got?
    there may be an optional extra option for you that you could retro fit?

heres a few threads/links

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69350&page=1
    http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/holder/Garmin+N%C3%BCvi%20360-Brodit-Holder.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW-qu89GKE4

To be honest i wouldnt be looking to leave it on display permanently no matter what you end up going for

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

On the previous generation 3 Series (E46?) there was a colour coded piece which screwed to the passenger side of the centre console, for mounting phone cradle's.

I haven't seen one on the E90 model, but if there is such a thing someone may be able to integrate your Nuvi in to it. It looks like it's part of the dash, but comes loose with one screw so you won't have to leave the Sat Nav in the car.

Have you found someone to do your phone kit yet? If so, ask them about it. If not, try JDM Products on 01 20 50 500, they'll do the phone kit work and possibly come up with a solution for the Sat Nav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,473 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cartronics in Santry do a pop-out satnav that intergrates into the top of the dash, they fit a replacement panel.

Advertisement