Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad overheating

Options
  • 03-09-2008 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭

Ok so as per a thread I posted a while ago, I've built a new system (more upgraded but anyway...) and am having problems with a new Q6600 processor.

The specs are as follows:

Vista Home Prem.
    Intel Q6600
    ATi Radeon HD2900xt
    4GB Corsair 800mhz ram
    MSI P35 Platinum motherboard
    Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty sound blaster

Everything works fine, except the Q6600 because it's overheating. I've yet to boot into Windows with it because it never gets far enough to show the desktop before cutting out. I've been using my older Dualcore processor to boot into Windows and perform updates etc.

Basically I had no idea what was wrong because everything works, and the mobo see's everything as fine, but I checked the temps on the mobo for the processor and they're ridiculously high. 30-40degrees is what it ideally should be idle, but it jumps to 70+ within 2 minutes before cutting itself off.

I'm using the stock heatsync/fan which are known to be a bit messy (horrible yoke to put onto the board) and the thermal paste looks a bit dodgy on there. I've bought some antec silver 5 stuff to replace the paste already there. I'm also going to pull the motherboard out of the case and reseat everything to make sure all the pins are going through the mobo from the heatsync/fan.

Before I go through this pain in the arse, is there anything else I should be looking at? Keep in mind the case itself is huge and has good airflow etc., especially for the processor (has one of those funnel things with a hole in the side to extract the air out)...

Advertisement