Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farce Republican "Patriotism" - Country first etc

Options
  • 03-09-2008 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

I was listening to the radio this morning - a number of people at the republican convention were being interviewed about McCains slogan "Country First".
    Interviewer was like "Do you think Obama will put country first"
    The two respondents said "No"
    Interviewer "What do you think he will do" [instead of putting the country first]
    Both times the respondents didnt have answers, one laughed when she realized she didnt have an answer. Basically they realized that the slogan is meaningless in that the new president whoever he is is hardly going to put anything else first - their job is the country.

Additionally they were scolding Obama for having no military record. To be perfectly honest, I dont know how being able to fly a helicopter or shoot a gun has an impact on how suitable you would be for president. If anything, the military attitude to situations is the total opposite of the attitude a statesman requires.

So is it just me or is the patriotism of the republicans nothing more than a superficial farce?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Yeah, its probably just you.

The answer they probably were searching for would have been "Party before Country."

I won’t even go into worse part of their attitude of the Iraq War… So I will hit on a couple of other items:

Remember the Sen. Jay Rockefeller’s (D-W.V.) memo outlining plans by Senate Intelligence Committee Democrats to politicize the Iraq war (memogate).
    http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2003/11/7/144122.shtml

How about Pelosi and the House Democrats promise to work with GOP… that lasted all of about 5 minutes when they took control of Congress. What is their approval rating now… I think it’s a third of Bush’s approval rating.
    http://www.citizenlink.org/CLtopstories/A000003531.cfm]

And just recently, the discussion between Democratic National Committee Don Fowler and Congressman John Spratt of South Carolina using Katrina as a political football.

I don’t completely buy into the line that the Dems would put Party before Country… but then again by some of their actions, I sometimes wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

turgon wrote: »
    Basically they realized that the slogan is meaningless in that the new president whoever he is is hardly going to put anything else first - their job is the country.

It is not just Republicans to be honest. I saw the daily show reporting some Obama supporters and they kept asking serious questions and getting sound bites back from the supporters. When they pointed out the stupidty of the sound bite the people were speechless.

Forget the English guys name but the funny one was where he said to the supporter "Doesn't this speech want you to do something spontaneous?" then when she said he yes he puckered up and went in for the kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Yeah, its probably just you.

The answer they probably were searching for would have been "Party before Country."

I won’t even go into worse part of their attitude of the Iraq War… So I will hit on a couple of other items:

Remember the Sen. Jay Rockefeller’s (D-W.V.) memo outlining plans by Senate Intelligence Committee Democrats to politicize the Iraq war (memogate).

How about Pelosi and the House Democrats promise to work with GOP… that lasted all of about 5 minutes when they took control of Congress. What is their approval rating now… I think it’s a third of Bush’s approval rating.
    http://www.citizenlink.org/CLtopstories/A000003531.cfm]

And just recently, the discussion between Democratic National Committee Don Fowler and Congressman John Spratt of South Carolina using Katrina as a political football.

I don’t completely buy into the line that the Dems would put Party before Country… but then again by some of their actions, I sometimes wonder.

Ah yes, "Country First", depending on which part of the country just like the day Katrina hit, W and McCain were busy:
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/08/images/20050829-5_p082905pm-0125-515h.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hobbes wrote: »
    It is not just Republicans to be honest. I saw the daily show reporting some Obama supporters and they kept asking serious questions and getting sound bites back from the supporters. When they pointed out the stupidty of the sound bite the people were speechless.

Forget the English guys name but the funny one was where he said to the supporter "Doesn't this speech want you to do something spontaneous?" then when she said he yes he puckered up and went in for the kill.

John Oliver. That was great (l love the daily show). And when he was asking people if they felt healed, there were quite a few that weren't. Wonder if they thought hillary was going to get up on stage and beat up Obama and take the nomination by force???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Country First. The same old lines from the GOP.

They are going after Obama for not having a military record!
    Well Bush had a great time in the military didnt he.:D

Kerry was a war hero but we can see how the GOP went after him and the "swift boat vets"!

That was reality in 2004 this is reality now. If you dont like the reality you are in change it to your favour. Simple!

Country first is just a sound bite to stir up nationalism and preach to the choir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Conservatives in general seem to define themselves by dumb, stupid slogans that appeal to dumb, stupid people. I'm convinced if you did IQ tests, the average score for Republican voters would have to be lower than that of the populations average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Is anybody else watching this convention coverage? Giuliani is seriously getting on my nerves. I disagree with everything he says.

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Is anybody else watching this convention coverage? Giuliani is seriously getting on my nerves. I disagree with everything he says.

All he ever says is 9/11. How can you disagree with that? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

What a crap mother this Palin person is!!

I mean, Trig, Trak, Bristol and Piper. What sort of names are those to give your kids?

Bet she's a big Bob Geldof fan. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

turgon wrote: »
    I was listening to the radio this morning - a number of people at the republican convention were being interviewed about McCains slogan "Country First".
    Interviewer was like "Do you think Obama will put country first"
    The two respondents said "No"
    Interviewer "What do you think he will do" [instead of putting the country first]
    Both times the respondents didnt have answers, one laughed when she realized she didnt have an answer. Basically they realized that the slogan is meaningless in that the new president whoever he is is hardly going to put anything else first - their job is the country.

Additionally they were scolding Obama for having no military record. To be perfectly honest, I dont know how being able to fly a helicopter or shoot a gun has an impact on how suitable you would be for president. If anything, the military attitude to situations is the total opposite of the attitude a statesman requires.

So is it just me or is the patriotism of the republicans nothing more than a superficial farce?

its always been a winning formula for the gop
    americans and especially republicans are a shallow people , when on the campaign trail , there are a few key words and phrases you must use , the 3 most important being

GUNS, GOD , GAYS ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

All he ever says is 9/11. How can you disagree with that? :)

All I heard last night from Giuliani was war, 9/11 and the slating of Obama. Thats all you really hear from him, his wife must be sick of listening to him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

PJ the dems have done pretty much everything bush wanted them to do.

enable miltary action against iran and spy on citizens without proper oversight, what more do you wnat?

Would discussion by Congress on energy independance and drilling for oil during a time when we are looking at the greatest transfer of wealth in history to other countries, rather than going on vacation, be too much to ask for?

The republicans had congress for themselves for 6 out of the 8 years. So why all of a sudden blame the dems? Is it because its leader carries the mark of ham?:rolleyes:

Would discussion by Congress on energy independance and drilling for oil during a time when we are looking at the greatest transfer of wealth in history to other countries, rather than going on vacation, be too much to ask for?

Hold on now there boyo!

That was a policy set for generations by both parties not the last 2 years. God at least admit to that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Mad Finn wrote: »
    What a crap mother this Palin person is!!

I mean, Trig, Trak, Bristol and Piper. What sort of names are those to give your kids?

Bet she's a big Bob Geldof fan. :D

Trailer Park tbh. Had to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Slightly unnerving to see people wolf down those 4 or 5 key words. It was like whenever she said certain phrases along the lines of 'proud american' the crowd went absolutely nuts!

I'm sure it was probably the same for the democrat convention but the accepted stupidity on display last night was unreal.

It was just a bit creepy...

jank wrote: »
    Hold on now there boyo!

That was a policy set for generations by both parties not the last 2 years. God at least admit to that!!

You're right. I'd say at least 30 years... ever since the OPEC oil embargo of the mid 70's. Both Democrats and Republicans are to blame, and there's plenty of blame to go around. When it comes to our energy crisis... both parties should be drawn and quartered.

But things have changed in the last two years. Doubled fuel prices, huge increases in food costs, housing crunch, bank and credit crisis, and an economy teetering on a recession. You know; now that I think about it... if someone smacks me up the side the head with the sledgehammer of doom, my first thoughts would also be to go on an extended vacation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

that issue is far from over

google pelosi and oil drilling you'll see endless headlines and direct quotes from pelosi saying she open to offshore drilling

your just they type that perpetuates the myth that theres a big difference between the two parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

that issue is far from over

google pelosi and oil drilling you'll see endless headlines and direct quotes from pelosi saying she open to offshore drilling

your just they type that perpetuates the myth that theres a big difference between the two parties.

The difference isnt between parties its between elected and running for election.

When youre running for election, you can say WTF you want. You might never be elected anyway, so who cares? Once your elected, youve got to worry about being re-elected. Look at Obama the radical when he was a dark horse in the Democrat primaries compared to Obama the safe pair of hands in the real deal.

Thats the only difference between politicians and political parties - one has to worry about the consequences of what they did whilst in power, the other doesnt have to worry about the consequences unless they get into power.

• Advertisement

Democrats just can't seem help themselves (or don't care) in shaking the designation of "Party First." Has anybody seen the recent reports that Obama tried in private to persuade Iraqi leaders to delay an agreement on a draw-down of the American military presence until after the election. This is who we want running our country... I think not!
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/09152008/postopinion/opedcolumnists/obama_tried_to_stall_gis_iraq_withdrawal_129150.htm?page=0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Democrats just can't seem help themselves (or don't care) in shaking the designation of "Party First." Has anybody seen the recent reports that Obama tried in private to persuade Iraqi leaders to delay an agreement on a draw-down of the American military presence until after the election. This is who we want running our country... I think not!
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/09152008/postopinion/opedcolumnists/obama_tried_to_stall_gis_iraq_withdrawal_129150.htm?page=0

The New York Post? Seriously?

IIRC Obama is also for off shore drilling. Although by offshore he actually means how it is currently defined.

As for ANWR I think you would be hard pressed to find an Alaskan government official is against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Reports? Is that plural?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

IIRC Obama is also for off shore drilling. Although by offshore he actually means how it is currently defined.
    only after being blasted to pieces for his tire inflation bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Overheal wrote: »
    only after being blasted to pieces for his tire inflation bid.
    Which he was completely correct in suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

True. But it made him nervous enough to flip flop on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

reports

...and considering the apparent quality of that newspaper, more than likely lies.

Advertisement