Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus versus Renault Megane Saloon

Options
  • 03-09-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Ok say both cars are similar year, mileage, spec which one would you go for?

I love the look of the Megane saloon and was on the verge of buying a 04 model but a lot of people are telling me the electronics are nothing but trouble. The flipside of that is the Focus appears to be bullet-proof according to people/articles I've read about them.

Which 04/05 car 30 votes

Ford Focus
    0% 0 votes
    Renault Megane Saloon
    100% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

If anyone actually votes for the megane i think you should be obliged to explain yourself. its a horrible car to drive. focus is beyond comparison to a megane, not that im a die hard focus fan i just think the megane is junk!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

That seems to be the common theme i'm hearing alright thats why i decided to put up a poll in case all my friends are just anti-reno haha!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

We have a Megane Sport Tourer and a Focus Hatch in the household, both diesel. Both well specced models but the Ford has a bigger engine. The Megane is stylish, comfortable and well equipped, as is the Ford. The Ford feels more solid and better built, but then is 2 years newer. The ride on the Ford not as compliant but it steers way better and handles better than the Megane. The Megane has required 2 window regulators (both failed under warranty) but has been faultless otherwise.

Given the choice between the two I would have to say the Ford, better drive and probably cheaper to run in the long term.

Cheers for the info mate - at least i know your totally neutral owning both!!!!

Who voted for the Megane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

No contest, the Focus!

About the only thing I can think wrong with it is that there are so many on the road you'll have difficulty finding yours in a large car park :D

jones wrote: »
    Cheers for the info mate - at least i know your totally neutral owning both!!!!

A lot of people here will mouth off about the Megane without knowing the first thing about them as an ownership prospect, simply reciting what they have read or heard somewhere. Be careful where you get your advice. The Megane Sport Tourer is ideal for our family, it swallows everything while giving over 50mpg. It is stylish and in 2 years has not put a foot wrong bar the regulators. I think it is a hugely under rated car.

A lot of people here will mouth off about the Megane without knowing the first thing about them as an ownership prospect, simply reciting what they have read or heard somewhere. Be careful where you get your advice.

I just want to justify my previous rant about the Megane! My girlfriend has had one for 3yrs and so I more or less have ownership experience. Had lots of small nigly problems with it, nothing major though. TBH I just really hate the cheap interior, large arse and simply dreadful steering.

Mr.David wrote: »
    If anyone actually votes for the megane i think you should be obliged to explain yourself. its a horrible car to drive. focus is beyond comparison to a megane, not that im a die hard focus fan i just think the megane is junk![/QUOTE
    I just want to justify my previous rant about the Megane! My girlfriend has had one for 3yrs and so I more or less have ownership experience. Had lots of small nigly problems with it, nothing major though. TBH I just really hate the cheap interior, large arse and simply dreadful steering.

So you didn't have any major problems, but condemn the car on the basis of a cheap interior (not so in our car, facelift with climate, actually a nice place to be and comparable to our previous Golf), large arse (purely subjective styling) and dreadful steering (short on feedback but fine otherwise).

A bit extreme no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

If anyone actually votes for the megane i think you should be obliged to explain yourself. its a horrible car to drive. focus is beyond comparison to a megane, not that im a die hard focus fan i just think the megane is junk!

As an owner of a renault megane saloon I find your comments highly dubious, I have owned said car for the past 3 years and have had no issues what so ever. Its a comfortable ride and handles well, is economical, most are well equipped and the boot has more than enough space for shopping,buggies and golf bags.

I wont bother voting in the poll as i have no experience of the ford focus, but from personal experience i would happily recommend the megane to any of my friends or family. Hence my advice to the op would be to test drive both and then make an informed decision and not to relie on a internet poll completed by posters with little to no personel experience of either car.

• Advertisement

plissken wrote: »
    Hence my advice to you would be to test drive both and then make an informed decision and not to relie on a internet poll completed by posters with little to no personel experience of either car.

I have driven both cars extensively and so feel that I am entitled to give my opinion. I hate the megane, its my own opinion. A lot of your opinion of a car is based on perception and feel. For me, the whole driving experience was as plasticky as the dash. The Focus is sharp and feels well...err focused.

In this day and age, a car that simply 'doesnt have any major mechanical problems' is not necessarily a good car.

I'm not so much relying on internet poll - just friends of mine, some with a good bit of mechanical experience, all slate the meganes electrics whereas i've yet to hear a bad word about the focus! personally i love the styling of the Megane saloon and as i said i was on the verge of buying one last week!

if this choice was on looks alone i would of went with the Megane Saloon (cant stand the hatchback looks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

I have driven both cars extensively and so feel that I am entitled to give my opinion. I hate the megane, its my own opinion. A lot of your opinion of a car is based on perception and feel. For me, the whole driving experience was as plasticky as the dash. The Focus is sharp and feels well...err focused.

In this day and age, a car that simply 'doesnt have any major mechanical problems' is not necessarily a good car.

You are of course entitled to your opinion and i am more than entitled to rebuttal. Through the years i have owned dozens of cars and at the moment i currently own four including the megane, It is not a sporty or overly quick car(although its definately no slouch in day to day traffic) but it is a comfortable car to drive and feels secure on the road, in my opinion it looks far better than the focus and the interior is well appointed and more than matches the interior of my 2003 Audi A4. I wont get into a whole french cars are crap debate as it has been done to death on many a forum, to the op i can assure you that the megane is not junk and drives better than many small saloons out there at the moment but dont take my word for it test drive one yourself

The megan will be cheaper, much better speced and a bit more exciting to look at.

I'd still go for the focus though unless you are getting a generous warranty with the megan.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Focus saloons can be had for relatively small money these days, The Megane isn't worth the risk.

Advertisement