Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions

Options
  • 03-09-2008 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

thoughts and comments on my website please... www.simplepixels.ie

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Heya, nice site.

Couple of things I noticed off the bat: horizontal scrollbar at 1024x768, could do with a favicon (your simplepixels "crest" logo is an ideal candidate there), some of your title text looks exactly the same as link text making it confusing what is and isn't a hyperlink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Its a nice site overall, very much a Blog style feel to it. If you were aiming for something 'different' its not it but otherwise it is a nice design. One thing though, I'm not mad on the big block of brown on the right. Its a bit overpowering and grabs your attention a little more than the content warrants in my opinion.

Can I ask though, what CMS system did you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kcim

I'm not using any CMS system

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

As CuLT said, it's a bit too wide. And there seems to be too much space between the main content and the box on the right ("oh, hello there!").

I'd actually recommend rethinking that sidebox altogether - possibly just taking the whole thing out. I find the colour and position of it distracting and the content largely unneeded. I think the page would balance better if it were gone and the rest of the content centre-aligned.

The fonts all look a bit harsh too. How about some Arial (or Helvetica) instead of the Georgia / Times New Roman?

I'd also reword your opening paragraph (and perhaps other text throughout the site) to sound a bit stronger, more confident.

"At Simple Pixels I'm really passionate about design. I consider myself to be a very creative individual with a constant ambition to constantly exceed the expectations of my clients."

"I consider myself", sounds to me like others might not agree. Try writing it more as fact than opinion -- and loose the personal angle. Whether it's one person behind it or many, SimplePixels sounds like a company or team name... This isn't "michaelmccann.com". I'd rewrite with more "we believe" and "we are".

"At Simple Pixels we're passionate about design and offer the creativity and ambition necessary to constantly exceed our clients expectations."

(just my 2 yoyo-cents and all that :P)

Cheers for that Goodshape. I will at some stage take on board what u and others have said. Busy at the moment!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Typos and little nitpicky things:

On the links at the top, the 'p' in Portfolio and the 'y' in Say Hi have their tails slightly truncated.

Most of your portfolio links refer to we, a couple say I, and the Malahide Castle one refers to Michael McCann in the third person. Just feels a bit inconstitent.
    And when I click on Portfolio, I get brought to #11, where I'd expect to be on #1.

#11 Etain Feely: My brief was to design up a business card - lose the 'up'

#1 Malahide Castle: Malahide Castle is very unique - doesn't really make sense, lose the 'very'
    [edit] Just realised, that's off their own website

#4 NUI - Brian Kelly had all the faith in us - could be rephrased, 'had full faith' maybe?

#7 This was our very first book cover we designed - 'the very first'

#9 Abbey Tavern - with these facts in mind we had to give produce something well designed - lose the 'give'

'About Me':
    I taught myself how do design - should be 'to'

'Services':
    Branding & Identity - "And because smaller comanies" - might read better with "And just because"...". Also, you've a lower case 'i' near the end of that paragraph.

Finally, the pages "About me" and "Say hi" both have a heading in the main section matching the link you clicked. But the heading for "Services" reads "Designing Solutions", and "Portfolio" has no such heading (although can't see where you'd fit it)

Nitpick over!

Excellent spot there MOH! My vocab is not one of my strong points!

Advertisement