Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Transfer Window a good thing?

• 03-09-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

How do you feel about the TW. personally I wasn't so sur of it before but after this years one I really like it. The excitement of deadline day is quality.

Come on Berbatov

BERBATOV

How do you feel about the Transfer Window? 18 votes

Good idea - Let it stay!
    0%
    Bad idea - Get rid of it!
    100%
    dardozPHBV9LafortezzaHelixFighting IrishKingp35_blank_JazzyMr.Nice GuymikemacVundergroundfred funk }{stovelidOPENROADDSBCarroller16King John V 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

For me, it's a bad idea. It's only really of benefit to the biggest clubs, who can have bigger squads, but for all the rest injuries outside the window could be a potential disaster!

And personally, I preferred it when out of nowhere you find out that you've signed a £10m player, as opposed to watching the transfer window intently and for me, more times than not, ending up disappointed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

where's the Atari Jaguar option?

i can't really remember how things functioned before the introduction, but i can certainly see how it would be abused. clubs like Chelsea would probably go around buying up every in form player just to increase their chances if it weren't there.

tbh, i think the entire 'transfer' system needs to be relooked at itself, not just when it occurs. with all the legal wrangling, conflict of interests, agents it's apparent it's a very flawed system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It hasnt' done what it was meant to do, which was to put transfers in a specific time and then let football do the talking. That was never ever going to happen.

It has however stopped Chelsea from going out spunking 30 million on a new goalie when Cech and Cudicini got injuried, which is probably a good thing.
    If I was going to do anything, I'd ban agent fees being paid by anybody but the player himself. Let the player decide how much the agent has deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

"spunking 30 million" - brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

It is and it isn't. One the one hand, it provides security to certain teams that once they have kept their players by midnight of deadline day, then they are there for the rest of the season (reading are a good example of this.)

My main problem with the transfer window is how it is timed. Paddy Barclay on Sunday Supplement made some interesting points.

1) At the very least, the window should be closed before the opening weekend of football. Teams like Utd. drag a transfer out and unsettle a player all the while the other team are trying to get points on the board. I think there is alot of merit in the argument that it should be closed before a ball is kicked.

2) Ideally though, the window should be structured so that season tickets cannot be sold before it is closed. My own team Newcastle asked many fans to commit to 3 year season tickets this summer. Look how we have had our hands burnt. I think teams would be alot more responsible to their fans, and not make as many false promises (Everton), if they knew that season tickets would be sold on the back of their conduct during the transfer window.

I think both are workable solutions but of course the powers that be would never implement any measures which may be in the interest of the loyal fan, who is taken for a right royal mug these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well there are huge problems in that it really is a massive restraint of trade. The transfer windows were in part an agreement with the EU to allow any sort of restrictions be imposed on when players can move. [Can you imagine a transfer window in any other business]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

It makes things slightly less exciting during the season for the fans, back in olden times when the deadline was in March there was constant transfer speculation to keep the tabs in business and fans hopeful.

But i think the window is good from a footballing perspective as come August 31st & Jan 31st we know who is with who and any speculation over players is dropped in the short term so people can focus on the season ahead.

Imagine the Barry/Berbatov/Ronaldo sagas continuing on through the season! *slits wrists*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

My own team Newcastle asked many fans to commit to 3 year season tickets this summer. Look how we have had our hands burnt. I think teams would be alot more responsible to their fans, and not make as many false promises (Everton), if they knew that season tickets would be sold on the back of their conduct during the transfer window.

3 year season tickets? Are you serious. That sounds like a ridiculous idea. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that it's a crap thing to ask people to do. Yearly season tickets yes, three year ones no. How many people took them up do you know?
    I think both are workable solutions but of course the powers that be would never implement any measures which may be in the interest of the loyal fan, who is taken for a right royal mug these days.

Look the fan is just there to have his/her pockets picked and act as a walking billboard for the club (and sponsors). But at least the moneys going to a good cause, right? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

3 year season tickets - that is ridiculous... you could be anywhere in 3 yrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Yep, 3 yr season tickets. During the summer, the club raised prices on season tickets, and indicated that it would be doing so in the seasons to come as well. However, they said that anybody who committed for the next 3 years would pay the same price they paid last season, for those 3 years. It was an attractive enough proposal to some knowing that the prices were going to be raised in the future.

I guess there is always an inherent risk when commtting like that, but no one foresaw the shambolic events that would unfold over the last week. We were promised new signings, and constantly told that Keegan was the man who had final say on everything.

There are now a fair few people who are on those season tickets who are talking about canceling the direct debit. If the club come chasing for the money, I know most of them will be more than happy to have a 'word' with whoever it is, because at present, no one is telling the fans anything from St. James, and the communications level is now approaching zero.

This is my point though, had the transfer window been closed before season tickets went on sale, I wonder would the club be treating us so shoddily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Feck the Transfer Window, 3 year season tickets ftw :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Makes for a incredibly exciting deadline day though I must say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Smegball wrote: »
    Makes for a incredibly exciting deadline day though I must say :)
    So long as you're not the supporter of a club who loses its prize asset at the last minute, I suppose.

Advertisement