Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

donacomper

Options
  • 03-09-2008 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here know what's happening with the proposed works in donacomper celbridge?

Considering that the arse is falling out of the irish economy and nobody is buying houses at the mo

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

There will be a town centre and appartments etc. you might find this link useful:

http://campbells.proboards52.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

ChewChew wrote: »
    There will be a town centre and appartments etc. you might find this link useful:

http://campbells.proboards52.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=21

Last post on that was march, haven't heard anything about it since, no sign of works starting or anything, so is it still going ahead?
    Think of all the houses which are still for sale around the place, all the prices dropping, is there any need to add a bunch more?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I've not had much interest in it myself to be honest so thats all I can offer. sorry!! I know thats not very useful. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

It went to a public hearing back in the summer , I am interested to know what the outcome was.

Lets hope it was ' kicked into touch '

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I hope it wasnt kicked to touch...Celbridge is in dire need of a new town centre.

Most of the negativity around it was on the proposed new footbridges across the river....mainly due to the bad experience with the current one. If the new bridges are sensibly done (not that you have to go down an alley way behind a building where there is an undeveloped piece of land where trouble makers can hang out without being seen/disturbed) then there should be no problems with the footbridges.

As for the other issue of building 8 storey high apartment blocks...a bit of sense to keep them at a reasonable height of (say) 4 storeys is easily achievable.

Just because the housing market is down doesnt mean that the shopping/recreation part of the development cannot happen now...with the housing part later.

Overall I think that this is a good development for Celbridge (plus it will involve another bridge out of Celbridge...something people have been crying out for over the past 10-15 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

daheff

My main objection would be size of the proposed development on the far bank , 8 floors is crazy.

The bridge is actually needed , I agree , indeed this to me is one of the only good things about this proposal.

Shopping wise , there is tons of ' brownfield ' site up near ALDI , build on that first, don't destroy a lovely piece of countryside, certainly Celbridge needs more shopping / recreation .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

To me that Aldi should never have been put there...and the way the road junction is...crazy! It would be better if that brownfield site was turned into houses/apartments (well to me anyways).

The big problem with Celbridge is that everything (shops wise) is scattered around the town...eg where aldi is....tesco...etc...a central area for them would work better....it would also add passing trade for smaller shops so that we wouldnt keep seeing small shops opening and closing (i've lost count of the number of different shops that have been in the bridge house (opp Village INN).

I agree that the 8 storey apartment block is too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

Well, the council came back with requests for 'further information' and they were looking for a lot of extensive work to be carried out, such as environmental impact surveys, proposals as to how the character of the main street was to be maintained etc...there were over 30 points as far as i can remember when i read it on the planning website. The developer never came back, and apparently tuesday 11/11/08 was the deadline. If they didn't come back, the application is deemed closed and they have to re-apply from scratch.
    Fingers crossed it will be delayed - i think anyone who's been living in Celbridge since the 'old days' would see that it is a village and has a special character. i can't understand why anyone wants shops and cinemas and all that rubbish when you have Liffey Valley 20 mins away by bus. I mean how lazy are people nowadays! Maynooth and its River Island and New look ....i mean every darn village in ireland is going to have a Boots, Starbucks and Cinema - its just so boring and greedy and i would so sad to see Celbridge go the same way. it's already over developed as it is with all the houses and apartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

Just checked the planning website and the developer has been given an extension, so they have until the middle of February 2009 to submit the further information requested. They had a lot to do in fairness.
    I don't really object in principle to building on Donacomper, I just object to the design. It's so 'samey' - just like every other boring suburban development in ireland, no imagination, no thoughts as to how to make Celbridge a nicer place for everyone, no thought given to the heritage. If people wanted shops, why did you move here? Why destroy a place that is small and historical, for the sake of UK mulitples to come in and just milk us for all we are worth! Ireland is obsessed with shopping and buying stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 soulsearcher

The council were quoted in the Liffey Champion re the possibility of a "phased development".
    Obviously there is a lot going on behind the scenes and they may try to foist something on us.
    Durkans won't walk away from this empty handed. The Council don't want to get stung.
    Time extension my A . Watch out for a Gradiose plan laden with plaudits about the benefits to the community, without any reference to the Council wriggling out of a tight spot and the Developer being saved a fortune and possibly making millions.:eek:
    I just hope all those who submitted objections will stand up and be counted when the battle heats up.
    Just watch your seats when the elections come around boys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Mr. Kirkpatrick, I have sent you a private message.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Jessica xxx

Dose anyonw know if the stable yard and arena etc at Donacomper has been knocked down or anything like that? Or is the yard still intact??? :confused:

Advertisement