Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Light repairs

Options
  • 03-09-2008 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    So I got a new bulb for my left brake/tail light but it's still not working, the right tail light lights up, but doesn't get brighter when I hit the brakes. Aswell as this, when I was loading something tall in the back of the van, I knocked off one of the interior lights on the roof and since then, no interior lights have been working.

Who'd be the best person to repair something like this? Don't really have time to do it myself as it would probably take ages to figure out what the problem is, go get a fitting etc. Is there anyone I could bring it to who'd know exactly whats up and fix the lot in 15 minutes? I'm guessing a mechanic wouldn't be the ideal person to go to:confused:

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

So the barke lights do work when having parking lights on but dont get brighter when you apply the brake? Sounds like the brake light switch is faulty. Cheap to replace and an easy DIY job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The left brake/tail light doesn't come on at all. I tried have a look at the interior lights but I haven't got a clue. I've no problem fitting lights in the house or whatever, I just don't want to spend ages and get nowhere with doing it in the van and not knowing what needs replacing etc so I'd prefer to just take it to someone who knew their stuff. Anyone here even :)

Tis a Ford Transit 2002 RWD by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So left tail light is dead and right brake light doesnt work.

Try a new bulb in the right hand light as there are two filaments in a brake bulb. one for the tail light and a brigher one for brakes.

In relation to the left light, you could check the various circuits to see if any power coming to any of the bulbs. If you have a €2 test lamp you could do this. Did it just stop working or had you repairs done or anything like that? Do the indicators work on the left light?

Re interior light, just open the light and join up broken wire or perhaps it needs the earth to the body at its mounting point

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the advice, might have another look but I'd really prefer to just go to somebody who knew what they were doing :) Would a mechanic be overkill I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

mickdw wrote: »
    So left tail light is dead and right brake light doesnt work.

Try a new bulb in the right hand light as there are two filaments in a brake bulb. one for the tail light and a brigher one for brakes.

In relation to the left light, you could check the various circuits to see if any power coming to any of the bulbs. If you have a €2 test lamp you could do this. Did it just stop working or had you repairs done or anything like that? Do the indicators work on the left light?

Re interior light, just open the light and join up broken wire or perhaps it needs the earth to the body at its mounting point

Cormie, just check the bulb is the right type. I put the wrong type bulb into a Merc Sprinter once, (I know, your van is a Transit), the brake lamp wouldn't work and whatever it is about the Sprinter's, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. It's most probably just the wrong type bulb you put in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cormie, Are you sure the original left-side bulb was actually blown?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement