Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

south kk surveyor advice please

• 03-09-2008 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi all I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what a full survey on an old farmhouse would cost and if anyone had any recommendations in the south kk/new ross area. All help greatly appreciated.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Depends on age and size of dwelling and amount of detail required.
    Lots to check in an old stone house.

€400 - €600 plus vat would be my guess, 10 - 15 page report.

Ringing a few Architects, Technicians or Surveyors will quickly tell you.
    I assume quotes could be competitive in the current climate.

Try at least 3

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Lots is right, ! would be looking for a very detailed report. roof,walls foundations,floor joists, septic tanks as well as ideas for improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Remember, a survey can only tell you whats visable and make assumptions on the rest. If you start renovating you could easily uncover lots of trouble that the survey didnt notify you of.

Does a detailed survey cover things like heading up the the attic and checking rafters/digging to check out the foundations/checking for damp etc? I realise some thins can be dicovered simply by looking at them but im looking for the most detailed one I can afford to try and avoid any little surprises or big ones as the case often is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I dont know anybody that would dig down to check the foundations unless it was warranted (eg. cracking of the walls, subsiding floors, damaged services etc.)
    As for checking the attic - yes
    Generally it will involve a visual inspection of the whole house inside and out to identify any visable problems like cracks, damp, services, finishes and general defects. if the house is new a quick check of the relevant building regulation compliance, check for compliance with planning permission and if the surveyer is really, really detailed then maybe a little locals information about the history of the house and site.
    Some also include possible solutions to known problems such as damp, insulation, septic tanks etc. and if further investigation is needed then it will be reccomended.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Slig wrote: »
    I dont know anybody that would dig down to check the foundations unless it was warranted (eg. cracking of the walls, subsiding floors, damaged services etc.)
    As for checking the attic - yes
    Generally it will involve a visual inspection of the whole house inside and out to identify any visable problems like cracks, damp, services, finishes and general defects. if the house is new a quick check of the relevant building regulation compliance, check for compliance with planning permission and if the surveyer is really, really detailed then maybe a little locals information about the history of the house and site.
    Some also include possible solutions to known problems such as damp, insulation, septic tanks etc. and if further investigation is needed then it will be reccomended.

Hope that helps
    Agreed, Thats a fair enough description of what would be entailed and encompassed into the average survey. I suppose a survey would on most occasions be purely superficial - ie. identifying defects that are visible to the naked eye. Its not too often that foundations would have to be exposed or holes cut through walls etc.

thats great thanks a million for all the info, anyone have any idea on price?and any recommendations welcome via pm.thanks again for all the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

sent you a pm

Advertisement