Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Need A Laptop for Business Courses in DIT?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭

ha, my friends after buying one thinking he needed one, does he??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i would say no, but only on the basis that i do computer science (other course could be different) and could have easily gotten away without needing a laptop.

i'll be the first to admit they come in handy alright but as an essential item i'd say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

do the majority of business students have laptops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Business students don't even need a brain. Laptop = overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Should I bother bringing my laptop into DT480 cause like walking up the street full of junkies....well i guess i would walk up o connol st.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

You definitely don't need a laptop in Business lectures! I had one for my three years doing accounting, handy for assignments but that's about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Get a Mac just to be cool and elitist :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

no need at all, as long as you've a desktop at home you're sorted.

Even if you don't there's computers on campus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

According to the most recent DIT survey, for 57% of students their laptop is the main computer they use for academic work. The next highest was 23% who used DIT PCs and 20% used their home computers. Over 80% of students had access to broadband at home (which is useful for webcourses/webCT).

I don't have a breakdown on a faculty basis to hand.

DIT had some special offers arranged with HP Compaq last year, for students to buy high-spec laptops. But feedback from students was that they could get better value computers through other channels.

Hope that's helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

campuslife wrote: »
    DIT had some special offers arranged with HP Compaq last year, for students to buy high-spec laptops. But feedback from students was that they could get better value computers through other channels.

It's also worth noting that Apple have an education store for discounts and most retailers do student discounts this time of year..

Advertisement