Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's The Economy Stupid

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    No, I guess we can't.

Both pledged to take campaign financing. In the end, McCain took the campaign financing when he didn't have to, and Obama opted out of campaign financing.

Heh. "McCain kept his pledge, Obama didn't! "

I guess that's kinda true. Except for the bit about abandoning his pledge once he got the whiff of some lucre. At least Obama didn't faff about and just did the one u turn. McCain gave himself whiplash with his manouvers.

End result - neither pledge worth the paper they weren't written on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The economy is going to come to the forefront of this US campaign with two major brokerage corporations failing, another on the brink of failure, the $80 billion bail out of AIG, and the threat that Washington Mutual might fail, all announced to the public in the last 3 days. The equity markets are plunging this week, especially the Dow Industrial Average.

What specific economic policies are being advocated by McCain or Obama that might serve to mitigate this huge economic downturn in the US? Have not heard anything specific from Biden, and Palin is clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Well one thing we know for sure, the Democratic controlled Congress is running away from the crisis faster than lies about Republicans are spread on this forum. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D) said yesterday, ``no one knows what to do". I guess that's why the Democratic controlled Congress approval rating is less than half that of Bush's. And if you want to talk about clueless... look at Nancy Pelosi - Speaker of the House (D), our third in line to the presidency.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=washingtonstory&sid=aVPBaUbYV_qQ

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Yes, we can talk about the Democratic-controlled US House of Representatives, or the closely matched two party US Senate chaired by Republican VP Chaney (these two houses comprise the "US Congress" by the way Pocono Joe), or what the Republican Bush-Chaney Executive Branch is doing (or not doing), but does anyone know what the specific McCain-Palin or Obama-Biden candidates propose to mitigate one of the largest economic meltdowns in recent US history? Specific economic policies to mitigate this major problem, not political rhetoric or spin or lipstick smear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

BenjAii wrote: »
    Joe, although McCain is claiming he saw this coming and the need to fix it, his website doesn't back him up.

See... I told you it would be there.
    http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/News/NewsReleases/Read.aspx?guid=e302999b-6415-4f1b-91d3-92fdce744b0d

And I see Obama is keeping his economic recovery plan a SECRET... LOL
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080919/ts_nm/usa_politics_obama_financial_dc

• Advertisement
Advertisement