Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how many miles to the gallon

Options
  • 03-09-2008 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

ive got a 1.6 litre ford mondeo and id like to know if its drinking petrol or not.
    just filled it up there 57.74 litres. just wondering if anybody knows what mileage i should be getting out of a full tank. any web resources or car sites or anything like that
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd say if you got 300-350miles from a tank you would be doing well, really depends on the driving conditions, ie city or country driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

I know your Mondeo is petrol but to put it in perspective.

The new Mondeo is a very heavy car. I have the 1.8 125bhp diesel and it is poor fuel ecomony compared to my old 116bhp Mondeo (old shape) diesel.

Old mondeo 50mpg. New one gets 43mpg. Not sure about the petrol models but at motorway speeds it chews fuel. Very laboured in first gear and I can only assume it eats it here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

ive driven bout 80 miles since it filled it up and the needle hasnt moved off full yet so it will be interesting to see what i do get out of it.
    im driving around killarney and kerry whether that is country or city driving you can make your iown mind up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

From my own experience of killarney and tralee yer bumper to bumper pretty much the whole way through, but the roads outside it are grand. My uncle got a 1.6 mondeo in kerry and he said its not bad, My Dad got 1 up here in Drogheda and he says its pretty average

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

ive got a 1.6 litre ford mondeo and id like to know if its drinking petrol or not.
    just filled it up there 57.74 litres. just wondering if anybody knows what mileage i should be getting out of a full tank. any web resources or car sites or anything like that
    cheers

Hiya jackreacher, looks like this ex-MP is not such a hard man to find after all ;):D

Anyway, as for a good car resource try Whatcar.com or Parkers.co.uk. Go to their reviews sections, put in the make and model (remembering to select either 'new' or 'used' as appropriate) and then go to the running costs for the official mpg of your car. The official mpg and yours may not be similar at all depending on the type of driving you do and how heavy your right foot is :)

Parkers New 1.6 Zetec says 38 mpg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

ive driven bout 80 miles since it filled it up and the needle hasnt moved off full yet so it will be interesting to see what i do get out of it.
    im driving around killarney and kerry whether that is country or city driving you can make your iown mind up

Did you brim it with fuel when you filled up? If so, it might explain why the needle hasn't moved yet. When I brim the tank, the needle stays still for a good while, but it doesn't continue to move at such as slow rate :)

DC

foot is pretty heavy alright. you know when that ad goes "young men think they are great drivers" i generally think thats a compliment and dont listen to the rest of the ad.
    its my first car so i have nothing to compare it with so hence the question.
    cheers for the the websites r3nu4l and the witty comment

so far its 130 miles and im still about 75% full so should bottom out at over 500 miles. is that right?? sounds like a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

so far its 130 miles and im still about 75% full so should bottom out at over 500 miles. is that right?? sounds like a lot

Ahhh not really... most petrol gauges are non linear... they could easily be made linear, but most car companies don't like them to be. Typically the top quarter goes the slowest.

Although its showing 75% full now, it might only be about 66% or so full. this would mean you'd be looking at about 400 miles for the tank, which isn't bad really...

I've owned many cars and have yet to see one with a linear petrol gauge. In theory if you have a trip computer the read out of litres in the tank should be fairly accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

I only get 400miles to my tank in my mk4 golf 1.4 it cost 62euro to fill it durning the weekend:mad: Id be fair pi**ed if you get more miles from your 1.6:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Volvo 945 2.3 LPT AUTO:

310 miles from €87.33

Mostly city driving though. Or at least I had better say it is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Best I've ever gotten from my 1.4 Tigra (new model) is 700km from a 45 litre tank. I only ever managed to do that once, though, and I'm determined to do it again! Mostly I average out at around 670km.

I reckon I'd break 700km every time with no hassle if I didn't have to keep dropping into 3rd to overtake all the 80kmh crawlers on the N81...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I used to have a 1.8 petrol mondeo that was dire for mileage. I can't remember exactly but I think it was struggling to get much over 300 miles on a fill.

340 miles and bout quarter tank to go. never have i been so excited to clock up the mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

in 13 days?? OMG!! I do that in 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

22.73 MPG :(

1.6 Carina Auto

http://www.eforecourt.com/calc_mpg.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Best I've ever gotten from my 1.4 Tigra (new model) is 700km from a 45 litre tank. I only ever managed to do that once, though, and I'm determined to do it again! Mostly I average out at around 670km.

I reckon I'd break 700km every time with no hassle if I didn't have to keep dropping into 3rd to overtake all the 80kmh crawlers on the N81...
    that's pretty good - probably around 48 mpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cabbott

93 2.0 calibra turbo 35 mpg average over a tank full, that was on a trip to england, fast driving at that, the trip computer says 32 mpg at a steady 100 mph. she will average 40 mpg if driven right, under ideal conditions. its geared fairly high, which helps, 83 mph at 3000 rpm in 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

r3nu4l wrote: »

Interesting, those figures are based on a mondeo with a 123bhp 1.6 mondeo.Afaik, in this country, the 1.6 mondeo doesnt have 123 bhp, more like 110bhp or something.Can anyone clarify that??If so, it should mean slightly better fuel economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭boomshackala

Damien360 wrote: »
    I know your Mondeo is petrol but to put it in perspective.

The new Mondeo is a very heavy car. I have the 1.8 125bhp diesel and it is poor fuel ecomony compared to my old 116bhp Mondeo (old shape) diesel.

Old mondeo 50mpg. New one gets 43mpg. Not sure about the petrol models but at motorway speeds it chews fuel. Very laboured in first gear and I can only assume it eats it here also.

The new one looks about 70kg heavier
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mondeo
    but should be more aerodynamic. I'd be surprised if the fuel economy was lower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The new one looks about 70kg heavier
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mondeo
    but should be more aerodynamic. I'd be surprised if the fuel economy was lower.
    Yes but it has a pint sized hopelessly underpowered petrol engine in the size of a 5 series BMW - but everyone here has to have a 1.6 Mondeo because "the bigger models are horribly expensive to run":rolleyes: even though the pint sized 1.6 is an Irish special(with less power than the UK version for good measure:() and elsewhere in Europe they're all buying 2.0s(and even 2.2s now that there's a 2.2 TDCi) which were designed for the car in the first place:rolleyes::mad:!

The old Mondeo fortunately wasn't available with a 1.6 option - small engines which are neither designed nor are suitable for big heavy cars have to work much harder, which is precisely why a bigger engine would be more fuel efficient because it is under far less stress in real world driving.

had to fill up there again so its actually 400 miles from a full tank. 75 euros is 400 miles so its 19cent a mile. not bad

Advertisement