Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting work with an accountancy company

Options
  • 03-09-2008 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

(1) Grades aside what do accountancy companies look for in a graduate job application.

(2) When starting a job with an accountancy company and having completed a business degree what knowledge will accountancy companies expect you to have when starting work?

(3) Is it hard to get an internship?

(4) In your first year with an accountancy company what can you do to single yourself out from the other graduates?

(5) Of the different areas in accounting what are the most interesting?

(6) What is the best ways to go about applying for a job with one of the top 20?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

Also what are the pros and cons of working as an accountant in an accountancy company versus industry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

Well, I can't answer all your questions since I am just starting this year, but in regards to the applying to the top firms and what they look for:

(1) I know you said grades aside, but having a Honours degree, preferable a 2.1, though some will take in those with a 2.2 is important because it shows dedication and hard work.

That aside, go to their websites to see what they are looking for in a prospective trainee. Most of the top firms will have decent websites, especially the Big 4. They will give advice for the interview process as well as give you detailed info on specific attributes.

(2) Remember, these firms hire people without a business degree. I was hired with a BA in English Literature and Creative Writing from the States. Also, the pay is the same for all trainees with a bachelors degree. The only time there is a pay difference is if the trainee is coming with a masters, and it's only €1000 difference. Everyone will go through training for most of the first 2 weeks. The only difference with having a degree in business is that you are already familiar with accounting; however, they tend to treat everyone as if they know nothing, so you shouldn't worry there. They want to train you from the ground up; they are hoping to keeps some on after completion.

(4) In the interview, be you and sell yourself . . . you can really make someone remember you in a good way. Once in work, be sure to have a good work ethic. Working hard and not complaining will usually get you noticed anywhere, especially if you are a self-started and learn to take the initiative once you settle in. Also, do well on your exams. Good work ethic and placement in exams, no on could miss you.

(6) The process for the top firms, especially the Big 4, can be long and drawn out. You typically are required to apply online, which you should be doing now for next years intake, if that is when you are looking to work. You have assessment days, which every applicant will have to go through. They should be taking applications now (deadlines vary with the big firms, anywhere between the end of October and 1 December) for the Autumn 2009 intake. These milkrounds will be your best shot of having a choice in which department to work. They will usually have a mini-milkround in the Spring, which is how I got hired, with a less strenuous assessment process; however, but this time the only positions available are FS Audit. Also, you will usually be interviewed by a Manager and a Partner.

I hope this helps a bit. Seriously, go to their websites and thoroughly read through them. I'd do it before applying and again before the interview. They want to see that you researched them. It shows that you have an interest in the company and seriously want the job. Reading through the Graduate Program site is the most important thing to get getting started.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

On point 6 apply to the big 4 first and if possible have a lecturer career guidance counsellor look at your answers to online questions before you submit them, all the big 4 will allow you to save your answers because the process is quite long.

After that apply immediately for the likes of BDO Xavier, Mazars, Grant Thorton. They're in the next tier and are excellent firms to apply to. These will all have deadline dates circa mid/end November. Baker Tilly and Oliver Feeney will be in and around these dates also.

Outside of these guys everyone else then starts their recruitment process (from what i rememebr it's January) as the majority of top candidates are picked off. That is not to say you won't work in an excellent company though if you don't get in to the top 8/10 firms.

The big difference between practice and industry is the amount of study leave available, the fact that you have a structured training program and support available. I'm sure ACCA is similar in this aspect but I've known more than a few lads who've gotten very little study leave for exams. Generally in industry the starting wages are a lot higher however you won't be exposed to Audit at all (again based on friends experiences).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Generally in industry the starting wages are a lot higher.

Really?

What are the ball park figures for industry?
    Id imagine it varies widely as the market is a lot bigger and theres the size of the company etc.
    Big 4 2007 starting salary was 24k and 25k in you had an Macc.

From Irishjobs.ie

I didnt think there was much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Really?

What are the ball park figures for industry?
    Id imagine it varies widely as the market is a lot bigger and theres the size of the company etc.
    Big 4 2007 starting salary was 24k and 25k in you had an Macc.

From Irishjobs.ie

I didnt think there was much difference.

Sorry I shouldn't have put in the words "a lot":o Out of friends who started with construction companies and banks they've usually started 2-4k above practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

after you pass acca and get the 3 years work how much will the 25k jump to?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

after you pass acca and get the 3 years work how much will the 25k jump to?

50-55k is a ballpark figure I think but its all performance related, its not just a matter of sitting there and waiting for the €'s to roll in.

And im starting big4 soon enough, only 24k for me:(

Advertisement