Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Question for Non-LoI Fans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Savman wrote: »
    You'd swear this was an exclusively Irish problem. Go look at the figs, gate receipts and attendances have been dwindling in most major leagues for some time now, England, Italy etc etc.
    Maybe, but the average attendances in Ireland are still way behind those in the lower divisions in England. For example, the average attendance at a League Two game last season was 4,337. The average attendance at an Eircom Premier League game last season was 1,715.
    AARRRGH wrote: »
    …as a Dublin southsider I don't live near any clubs.
    I think you might need to do a little research there.
    3. The skanger factor. I don't want to be around skangers.
    Best move somewhere outside Britain and Ireland so.
    … I do know of violence outside LoI games.
    It’s incredibly rare; you’re far more likely to encounter violence in Dublin City centre on a Friday or Saturday night.
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    My original answer was to a poster who when it was put to him that loi matces were frequented by "knackers" was to respond that it is worse in England. I asked him if he attended matches in England on a regular basis to reach that conclusion and I would also ask you the same thing.
    Fair enough; I’ve only ever been to one game in England and it was quite a long time ago so it doesn’t count for much. However, I spend a good deal of time in London, Birmingham and Glasgow and have encountered plenty of scumbags around football grounds on match-days, especially in Birmingham (admittedly, the situation in Glasgow is blown out of proportion somewhat, in my opinion). Now, I’m not denying that you’ll get scumbags at football matches in Ireland, but the same is true of just about any football ground in the world. And let’s be honest; English football “fans” have a bad reputation for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Didn't you say you used to go to Shels matches? So you would have some bit of an afffinity, even if it is a small one at this stage.
    I've 25 years invested in supporting Spurs. You may not call it support, but I do. I've endured the slagging, given it back, cried when we've lost, cried when we've won. I won't walk away from that, regardless of what ever lows come along the way.

Imagine I'm not a Shels fan. I've nothing invested in LOI football. I go to a game, and watch a fairly sh1te 90mins of football. I know nobody in the ground, go to the game on my own, and travel home on my own.

Do you really have difficulty with the idea that in the latter case, I'm unlikely to return for more of the same?

The "catch" that will retain new fans to the domestic game is not the 90mins of football, it is everything that surrounds the 90mins.

I hope the bolded bit provides clarity.
    You say you go to Spurs games and it's great craic, drinking before and after the game. Why would it be any different going to games here? Empty terraces? Coming out with bullshít statements like that is hardly giving yourself any credibility.

Did you actually read what I said, or did you just skim the posts looking for something to have a go at me for?
    What might succeed in drawing in fans and retaining them is the whole matchday experience. It's been mentioned above, the few pints before/after/during a game, the banter, sitting/standing with people you know etc etc. So why aren't some of you actively encouraging posters on this forum to join you for a game or two, and exposing them to the bits that can't be replicated on TV?

I'll say this, it is very unlikely that a person would persist watching league football in this country without the other bits that come with the match experience, certainly not one who is late to the party. Watching football is a social experience, people need to interact with others in the stands or on the terraces to feel connected to what's happening on the pitch, otherwise it's just 22 men running around after a ball, isn't it?

Not it is quite clear from that excerpt that I am fully aware that LOI fans do exactly the same things I do when I travel to Spurs, what I am saying is that unless a total newcomer to the domestic game is exposed to those non-football experiences they may not want to come back for more based on the 90mins alone

RE your main point about affinity: When you started supporting Spurs did you have any affinity with them? You didn't. Obviously that isn't going to happen overnight. There was obviously a time when you supported Spurs when you had very little affinity with them so why is it different for League of Ireland clubs?

I was six when I started supported Spurs, I am now 31. Assuming I don't support a LOI team (see, we're assuming here for the sake of this debate in case you're confused)...are you really saying that the two processes are going to be the same?

I'm too old to be impressed by a couple of posters on my wall.

Now please read my posts again before referring to any of them as bull****. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

1. Cold when most of the season is played during the warmest months of the year?

2. Not near anyone? Where do you live? You can hardly be more than half an hour from Pats, UCD or Rovers when they move to Tallaght if you count them.

3. Do you ever enter the world outside of where you live?

No skangers at UCD games btw and it's not as big a "problem" as you are making out.

Final try:

I do not want to travel for 1 hour to get to a club so I can stand outside in the cold for 2 hours watching a crap game of football. And the idea of being surrounded by "real" football fans with massive chips on their shoulders, and having to face some scumbag opposition fans on my way home is NOT appealing.

It is the combination of all the factors, not just a single factor.

Seriously, it's the combination of the factors. Please don't use "we get some sunny days" as some attempt to prove I should go to games.

EDIT: I am willing to give it a try though. Can someone recommend a match which will probably be good? Currently I am based in Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Final try:

I do not want to travel for 1 hour to get to a club so I can stand outside in the cold for 2 hours watching a crap game of football. And the idea of being surrounded by "real" football fans with massive chips on their shoulders, and having to face some scumbag opposition fans on my way home is NOT appealing.

Seriously, it's the combination of the factors. Please don't use "we get some sunny days" as some attempt to prove I should go to games.

Holy sh!t, do you think you'll ever take off the cotton wool?? Forget LOI, you've got issues in general!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I hope the bolded bit provides clarity.

Did you actually read what I said, or did you just skim the posts looking for something to have a go at me for?

Not it is quite clear from that excerpt that I am fully aware that LOI fans do exactly the same things I do when I travel to Spurs, what I am saying is that unless a total newcomer to the domestic game is exposed to those non-football experiences they may not want to come back for more based on the 90mins alone

I was six when I started supported Spurs, I am now 31. Assuming I don't support a LOI team (see, we're assuming here for the sake of this debate in case you're confused)...are you really saying that the two processes are going to be the same?

I'm too old to be impressed by a couple of posters on my wall.

Now please read my posts again before referring to any of them as bull****. Thank you.

With respect, you are not making your point very well at all.

Final try:

EDIT: I am willing to give it a try though. Can someone recommend a match which will probably be good? Currently I am based in Dublin city centre.

St Pat's in Inchicore. Hop on the 78A from Aston Quay, leaves you right outside the stadium and the bus stop is right beside it for going home. I've never had trouble there. Sure, if it's a big travelling support, they're bused out before the home fans leave!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Holy sh!t, do you think you'll ever take off the cotton wool?? Forget LOI, you've got issues in general!!

You do have to laugh when someone rejects domestic football to travel to england and watch it on the basis of distance and hooliganism.

Earth to AAARGH, England is further than your local LoI club and has some of the worst hooligan problems in the world.

With respect, you are not making your point very well at all.

With respect I think the problem is with you, not me.
    Thats not what he said FFS!

English comprehension is not your strongest subject :D

I'll relent and explain it to you.

He said:

You will not attract new fans to LOI by pretending the standard is great. Its not. They'll know your lying, or they'll know after one game. You attract them by getting them into the social aspect. Making an event of it. Then they'll go back. Might even make friends. They'll enjoy themselves. They'll come to have an affinity with the team and then it will be "their team". And even if they don't play great football, he'll stick with them.

He got it first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Easy points to understand :D

no idea what ONYD's problem is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

My main reason, and i don't support a EPL team, Celtic and Ireland only but its because i don't have a local team in Tullamore, i went to college in Athlone but i just couldn't get into the team as much. If i had a local team i would shout for them and suppport them as much as i could. The standard doesn't make any difference to me at all, i'd love to shout for a team but i don't have a team.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Easy points to understand :D

no idea what ONYD's problem is

recklesses wrote that he doesnt want to go to a LoI game because he doesn't know anyone, but loves the trips to London where he meets loads of new people. a total contradiction

its not a valid excuse as to why he doesn't do both.

You do have to laugh when someone rejects domestic football to travel to england and watch it on the basis of distance and hooliganism.

Earth to AAARGH, England is further than your local LoI club and has some of the worst hooligan problems in the world.

I don't travel to England to watch football. :confused:

The posts in this thread are bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I don't travel to England to watch football. :confused:

The posts in this thread are bizarre.

Then you just watch football on TV?

I am willing to give it a try though. Can someone recommend a match which will probably be good? Currently I am based in Dublin city centre.
    I would concur with monkey9 and recommend you take in a St Pats game. Fixture list is here. Derry at home on September 26th should be a good one. Alternatively, away to Bohs on Monday is a big one.
    MOG7 wrote: »
    ...i'd love to shout for a team but i don't have a team.
    Tullamore Town are in the new A-league, although, unfortunately, they're not doing terribly well!

CiaranC wrote: »
    Then you just watch football on TV?

In general, yes. (I go to some international games.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

djpbarry wrote: »
    I would concur with monkey9 and recommend you take in a St Pats game. Fixture list is here. Derry at home on September 26th should be a good one. Alternatively, away to Bohs on Monday is a big one.
    Tullamore Town are in the new A-league, although, unfortunately, they're not doing terribly well!

Yep they are and sadly your right, there doing terribly. Plus i have mates who played throught the ranks from under 10's to senior last year and as soon as they got into the new league they were all dropped when they supposedly found better players, not a team i'd like to support now:(

recklesses wrote that he doesnt want to go to a LoI game because he doesn't know anyone, but loves the trips to London where he meets loads of new people. a total contradiction

its not a valid excuse as to why he doesn't do both.

I spent six months going to Spurs as a ST holder (including away trips on my own to Bolton, Boro, Fulham and Chelsea) on my own before I consider myself part of a group of fans who went to games together. I knew a few Irish Spurs who travelled, but did plenty of games on my own, without the beers and banter that I now take for granted.

It was a year before I found out the name of the bloke who sits on my left hand side...the blokes on my right were a bit quicker, but it was over a year before I met them outside of the ground for a drink.

If I do meet new people now it is through friends I have already made, I don't just approach random punters and start talking to them because of the scarf they're wearing.

I'll tell you now, those two trips to Bolton and Boro were fcuking horrible, miserable sh1t towns in miserable sh1t weather. What sustained me during that was the fact that despite travelling on my own, I was a Spurs fan, and had been for the guts of 20+ years at that stage.

I have already stated on this thread I would probably not have kept up that regular attendance at Spurs games if it wasn't for the mates I'd made along the way, but kept me going initially was my feelings as a fan of Spurs. (you are right by the way, I did say I haven't been to see Shels for while as I'd be going on my todd, but then I wouldn't be a Spurs ST holder anymore if I was doing the same)

Now can you imagine a hypothetical first-timer at a LOI ground walking out after 90mins saying "I think I'll stick at this for a while" if the standard of football is not as high as he expected? And I'll be honest (as a fan), it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I have no idea why the Eircom league fans on this board insist on having the same debate over and over and over - rehashing the same points and throwing the same bile. Do you guys not tire of your martyrdom?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

And feel the exact same things when you get a late winner in hellholes such as Bolton? I'm fairly sure if you travelled to Cork as a Dublin club supporter and got a win or Dundalk or Derry, you'd quickly get the bug, regardless of the standard.

It's impossible not to. It takes more than one match that might be good. Supporting someone for 25 years, you should know that.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I have no idea why the Eircom league fans on this board insist on having the same debate over and over and over - rehashing the same points and throwing the same bile. Do you guys not tire of your martyrdom?

What they don't realise is they are turning people off the LoI. No one wants to be around a bunch of bitter "real" soccer fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

What they don't realise is they are turning people off the LoI. No one wants to be around a bunch of bitter "real" soccer fans.

Agree with that. The Eircom League "Martyrs" or "Top Fans" can be a bit of a pain. I do go to the odd Eircom league game but I suppose the real reason I don't go much is that over the years of being a football fan I've seen great footballers ply their trade, Cantona, Dalglish, Giggs, Shearer etc. Players that you would never see in the Eircom league and its a good feeling to say "I've seen XXXX (add famous footballer here) playing live."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I am willing to give it a try though. Can someone recommend a match which will probably be good? Currently I am based in Dublin city centre.
    Anyone interested in football and based in Dublin city centre should be going to Dalymount to see Bohs v Pats on Monday.
    Dalymount Park is practically in Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

See I agree with this but if you do read what they all say there are good points made. You just need to learn to ignore certain posters, and know whch ones to listen to

Please don't tar us all with the same brush. I couldn't care less if people want to follow British football; good luck to them. What does bother me, as I have already said, is people dismissing the League of Ireland as ****e, without ever having set foot inside a football ground in this country. All I'm concerned about is getting people through the turnstiles - the future of the league depends on it. Absolutely no reason why you can't follow football on both sides of the pond.

You think anyone at Pats, Cork, Bohs, Derry, etc. gives a toss whether their punters are Sky Sports subscribers? Once they get their gate receipts, they're happy.

SectionF wrote: »
    Anyone interested in football and based in Dublin city centre should be going to Dalymount to see Bohs v Pats on Monday.
    Dalymount Park is practically in Dublin city centre.

OK, I will go to this game, and I will report back on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

My reasons are pretty simple.

I grew up in an area where I was too far away from any LoI team to go to games. Due to this no one I knew growing up supported a LoI team and the thought of following one didn't really enter my head. It was exactly the same for my father when he was young.

These days I could chose to support Galway United but I've got no interest in doing so. I'm a season ticket holder at Connacht Rugby, I follow the English Premier League and I've got a load of other sporting interests that I'd now put before the LoI.

Also, as was already mentioned here, there is a section of LoI supporters who have a particularly bad attitude towards those who have ended up following foreign soccer. Before someone jumps in, I said a section not all.

My reasons are pretty simple.

I grew up in an area where I was too far away from any LoI team to go to games. Due to this no one I knew growing up supported a LoI team and the thought of following one didn't really enter my head. It was exactly the same for my father when he was young.

These days I could chose to support Galway United but I've got no interest in doing so. I'm a season ticket holder at Connacht Rugby, I follow the English Premier League and I've got a load of other sporting interests that I'd now put before the LoI.

Also, as was already mentioned here, there is a section of LoI supporters who have a particularly bad attitude towards those who have ended up following foreign soccer. Before someone jumps in, I said a section not all.

What the hell is rugby??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What the hell is rugby??

Its a town in England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby,_Warwickshire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

For me growing up in East County Galway GAA was king and I suppose LOI soccer just didn't really register with most people, not much anyway. Galway United are viewed as more of a city team and that's where their main fanbase would be. I don't know anybody from my area at home that goes to their games. Because I didn't grow up following a team I don't identify with it so much, so I guess that would be my reason for not being a big LOI fan.

That said, I've started going to a few games in the last couple of years with a friend who is a Bohs fan, though I still wouldn't really class myself as a supporter. To be fair I've enjoyed the games well enough, though it's as much about the experience that surrounds the football as it is the 90 minutes of football itself.

In fairness their hooligan problem is nothing like it used to be. They put alot of effort into stamping out the rampant hooliganism problems they used to have. There is probably worse hooliganism in Italian football now than in English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its interesting that Rugby got a mention. We have four provincial sides in this country who compete in the European cups and Leagues. As a result almost all Irish Rugby fans follow a home based team. The quality of rugby football at these games is up there with what you would expect to see anywhere in Europe.
    Also you have a choice in Ireland of following your local GAA club/county, your local Rugby club or your local Soccer club. The GAA takes it fair share and so does the Rugby so that leaves you with the LOI which is at a lower standard than a lot of countries including two very close to us. Theres no GAA abroad to compare to Ireland, and the Rugby is on a par with other European countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

aidan24326 wrote: »
    In fairness their hooligan problem is nothing like it used to be. They put alot of effort into stamping out the rampant hooliganism problems they used to have. There is probably worse hooliganism in Italian football now than in English.

Both making hooliganism in Ireland looking like a playground fight.

As for the usual EPL fans coming in not reading the posts just assuming that all the EL fans in this thread are bashing non EL fans are really putting me off the EPL.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

aidan24326 wrote: »

I'd say with Stoke and West Brom promoted, the police are glad Birmingham went down. Supposedly trouble at Stoke Villa that I didn't see anything on MOTD or Football First about.

Should be interesting games with Totting-ham.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its interesting that Rugby got a mention. We have four provincial sides in this country who compete in the European cups and Leagues. As a result almost all Irish Rugby fans follow a home based team. The quality of rugby football at these games is up there with what you would expect to see anywhere in Europe.
    Also you have a choice in Ireland of following your local GAA club/county, your local Rugby club or your local Soccer club. The GAA takes it fair share and so does the Rugby so that leaves you with the LOI which is at a lower standard than a lot of countries including two very close to us. Theres no GAA abroad to compare to Ireland, and the Rugby is on a par with other European countries.

Yeah, but there are only so many rugby nations. Football is a global sport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dfx- wrote: »
    I'd say with Stoke and West Brom promoted, the police are glad Birmingham went down. Supposedly trouble at Stoke Villa that I didn't see anything on MOTD or Football First about.

Should be interesting games with Totting-ham.

Afaik there's a deal between the media and EPL not to have hooligan storys in the papers or on the news, could be wrong mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Like I said before...

I am a big Manchester United fan, and I always will be. Since 1989 season I remember my Dad kicking every ball from his arm chair...and Ive been a big fan since.

Over a year ago I moved to Dublin 15, and said I'd get myself to Dalymount for a few games. I barely watched a EL game on tv, and could name very little homebased players. It didnt take me long to use words such as "we" and "us" when refering Bohemians (again good timing to pick a club).

But Im hooked.

Its great having a club down the road from you, there is more to it then the quality of football.

And believe you me, its not as bad as people think. Honestly. Look at this year

Pats beating the Swedish outfit full of Internationals, Drogs a shave of a post away from knocking out Keiv, who hockied Spartak and are in the CL group stages.

Seriously all, I know what its like to be the "league of Ireland is crap, wouldnt be caught at a game" mode, but until you go a few times, you'll realize how good it can be. Its great to have a local team, it is our national league after all. To have an interest and to have football at your doorstep.

It also wont stop be shouting at the telly when Berbatov scores at Anfield next weekend :-). I dont have to give up on the mighty red devils.

Get yourselves to a game. Support your own also! Enjoy it and make Irish soccer better as result. Im a life long Bohs / Man Utd supporter, with a soft spot for Celtic FC.

oh and meh to rugby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

It confuses the bejaysus out of me bad publicity is good publicity I guess.

If I didn't go to EL games these threads would insure I never went.

ntlbell wrote: »
    It confuses the bejaysus out of me bad publicity is good publicity I guess.

If I didn't go to EL games these threads would insure I never went.

If I hadnt started watching football in 1990 this forum and random other ****e from football fans would make sure I never started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah, but there are only so many rugby nations. Football is a global sport!
    WAT?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

bohsman wrote: »
    If I hadnt started watching football in 1990 this forum and random other ****e from football fans would make sure I never started.

heh

Was it O learys peno that did it? ;)

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    heh

Was it O learys peno that did it? ;)

That got me into football? Nah, I was 7, after travelling europe for a few years it was the first time we settled down and had a TV so watched the whole world cup, was actually in Stuttgart in 88 but had no knowledge of football and had never been in Ireland.

Would have been Packie Bonners save ahead of O'Learys penalty, if youd asked me 5 mins ago who scored the winning peno I couldnt have told you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lol lads if your near to a stadium, go to the games...they're not the worst believe you me. "support" your British,Spanish teams also or whatever other league you watch.

Simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Again I have to repeat my question, how often do you travel to games in England to reach that conclusion. England had a major problem in the 80's I agree, and to be honest I would not have dreamt about going to games back then, but the situation now is COMPLETELYdifferent, this argument from loi fans is getting quite annoying someone attacks the loi for having a hooligan problem loi fans response just like yours without any evidence. I am not saying that problems don't exist but I am sure it is the same in the loi, but to suggest that England has some of the worst hooligan problems in the world is rubbish, England has largely cleaned up its act, believe you me I don't see any trouble at the vast vast majority of matches.

Id say theres been less than 10 arrests for crowd trouble in Ireland in the last year. There are hundreds per league in England every year, its certainly not bad in England but to say Ireland is worse is just not true.

Id say theres been less than 10 arrests for crowd trouble in Ireland in the last year. There are hundreds per league in England every year, its certainly not bad in England but to say Ireland is worse is just not true.

Certainly more arrests in England but huge huge difference in attendances, can't really compare the two, as for your figure of less than 10 arrests, this seems very very low to me, recent report of trouble at a loi match between Shamrock rovers and bohs and arrests made, your figure of less than 10 arrests for the year just seems too low. I certainly did not say it was worse in Ireland, but you can't really compare the two.

Theres very few arrests made over here, the guards dont have a clue what theyre doing, Bohs Rovers is about the only time theres going to be any trouble and its usually held miles away from the stadium usually by people that dont go to matches or are banned. The 2 last cases of trouble happened at the HIll 16 pub while there was a match on in Tolka Park and more recently hours after the game in town.

• Advertisement

Theres very few arrests made over here, the guards dont have a clue what theyre doing, Bohs Rovers is about the only time theres going to be any trouble and its usually held miles away from the stadium usually by people that dont go to matches or are banned. The 2 last cases of trouble happened at the HIll 16 pub while there was a match on in Tolka Park and more recently hours after the game in town.

And in the English premiership the number of arrests for violent disorder continue to fall year on year, for the 2006/07 season if we take Arsenal their were only 8 arrests (Home office official Police data) Now that is 8 too many imo but consideri ng the number of people that attend over the season that is very impressive. Without going ot my point is that just as their will be trouble at English grounds so their will be at Irish but the vast vast majority of matches at loi and in England pass off without incident.

Absolutely agree but to say that theyll go to premiership games but not to el games because of violence is ridiculous.

Absolutely agree but to say that theyll go to premiership games but not to el games because of violence is ridiculous.

Agree with you 100% :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Final try:

All the factors you mention have proven to be completely incorrect. Presumably you will be at Eircom League games every week then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Liverpool fan for my troubles and never been to a LOI game.

BUT this week alone i have given at least 20 hrs to my local LSL/DDSL club
    in the winter that'll be up to 40 hrs!
    Yet in some peoples opinion i dont support Irish soccer?
    There is no LOI club on my doorstep. I might give rovers a visit but just for my kids.Soccer is the biggest participation sport in Ireland and LOI clubs make up less than 1% of this! Yet some people would have you believe that the LOI IS Irish soccer. If LOI clubs want to be better supported then they have to work for it
    • provide entertainment
    • better facilities
    • encourage kids to go watch (not just a free kid with adult ticket)
    • get affiliated to schoolboy/junior clubs
    • get involved in ocal communities

to name but a few. The LOI has no divine right to be first choice of football fans it has to earn it .

The Dublin GAA team get upwards of 60,000 at championship games in croke park yet there's something like 4 or 5 times as many people involved in soccer as GAA in Dublin. Its about time that the LOI clubs and fans ask themselves what they are doing wrong rather than blaming the EPL .

Aston Villa had a Uefa game recently and sold family tickets way below face value just to get younger kids into villa park
    The youngest 6-10 are impressionable so why do LOI clubs not give free tickets ie 6 kids and accompanying adult goes free not free kid with paying adult. A work mate of mine goes to all bohs' home games. His 2 kids get in "free". He says he pays €12?, then a programme for each kid, chipper for the 3 of them and a few soft drinks and he reckons 50-70 each game he pays out? Now he's just doing it for the kids but its hardly inviting.
    I stand corrected but did any LOI clubs have schoolboy sections 20 yrs ago? Most that do now only do so because of UEFA licensing take rovers recently seen an article in local rag Rovers schoolboy section end of season do or something every photo had a tri-colour in the background with Tallaght Town FC emblazened on it and there still seems to be unrest about the "merger".

wandering off point but basically the LOI cant just expect to be supported by all they gotta earn the right !

• Advertisement
Advertisement