Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclo-cross

Options
  • 03-09-2008 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone do this in Ireland?
    Are there any competitions?

This is a new thing to me but it looks like road-racing
    in the mud, almost perfect for Irish climate I would have thought :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

National Championships is in January. I believe it is generally participated in by the MTB clubs but maybe a few road riders in there too. I am pretty sure Sean02 that posts here does it, he has a cross bike anyway :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't think the cross scene is massive in Ireland. I do know that there's races in the Phoenix Park and Tymon Park during the winter and that there is some sort of league on the go, but I can't find details of it online.

Would love to give it ago, but might have to put it off for another few years. Buying yet another bike feels like a bit of an extravagence.

My touring bike would probably do as a cross bike with the tyres changed and dual-control brake levers although as I maybe want to leave it somewhat intact I do have another semi-knackered bike with drops and clearance for 700x38 knobblies that I am thinking of installing cross levers on. Might want to upgrade the canti brakes though, they are very bad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

Cross season in Ireland runs from October to the National Champs in January.
    Races are usually held in the parks in Dublin and various locations around the north. Racing at least every second weekend for the 3 months. Its a pretty active scene, most races having somewhere between 30 and 60 riders. Most riders come from a mtb background, but there's a few roadies at it too.
    I think this season kicks off on October 4/5th with a 'Cross clinic and race in Lurgan or somewhere, up the north.

The website www.mtbireland.com is usually where all the info is posted.

Blorg - Dual Control (Ergo/STi) are standard fare for 'Cross bikes, no need to change them. They work well with canti's too (canti's are necessary, as they give better mud clearance. Road calipers, even in long-armed form, just won't work unless you're racing in California) I'd also have a go at tinkering with the straddle cable length before binning the brakes you have - there's a bit of an art form to it and it makes a huge difference to how the brakes perfrom. Inline 'Cross brake levers (on the tops of the bars) aren't necessary.

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Thanks for the info guys.

Might try and get down to watch a race when the season opens so.

• Advertisement

sean_d wrote: »
    Blorg - Dual Control (Ergo/STi) are standard fare for 'Cross bikes, no need to change them. They work well with canti's too (canti's are necessary, as they give better mud clearance. Road calipers, even in long-armed form, just won't work unless you're racing in California) I'd also have a go at tinkering with the straddle cable length before binning the brakes you have - there's a bit of an art form to it and it makes a huge difference to how the brakes perfrom. Inline 'Cross brake levers (on the tops of the bars) aren't necessary.
    Thanks for that Sean- I would have been thinking of adding inline brake levers on the top of the bars, not removing my STI levers, but it's a plus if you don't think it is necessary.

The canti brakes I have the problem with are bog standard Shimano Altus which use a link wire rather than a straddle cable. They slow the bike rather than stop it!

I have never been able to get these right either myself or from more than one bike shop, and I have experience of them on more than one bike. Wouldn't be changing to calipers but I did change to mini-V brakes on my tourer and they do stop the bike a hell of a lot better. The other alternative would be either upgraded low-profile cantis or wide-profile cantis.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

Mini-V's probably wouldn't get you the required mud clearance (this area is very prone to clogging up with grass) and also need a gunthering to work properly with road levers. Spooky canti's are top of the line, but anything from Avid, Cane Creek or Tektro will do fine. I personnally use Tektro Oryx's with no problem, they cost about 20 quid an end I think...

Advertisement